Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

This is a discussion on Public opinion about the National Rifle Association within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not always in agreement with some NRA past positions, but they are an important 'voice' that I will continue to support....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

I'm not always in agreement with some NRA past positions, but they are an important 'voice' that I will continue to support.
    RayBar, DaveH and azretired like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I routinely do the round up at Midway but will never again actually write a check to the NRA. The sheer volume of third class mail I got from them was a pain in the rear. And of course 80% of it was asking me for more money. If they had an option of joining without them mailing me anything except a renewal notice I might consider it again.
    Concerning your last sentence, if I'm not mistaken they will do this for you if you ask them. I know it's a pain in the rear as well.
    ericb327 likes this.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    *** If you don't belong to the NRA ,or Gun Owners of America,just what is it you do to support our rights.
    I Vote!!!!

I also contact my congressman and senators. Are you saying I have to give money to make a difference. I am actually a lifetime member donating back in the 90s. The NRA will get no more of my money until I feel comfortable supporting them.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah, the NRA isnt real smart in its marketing approach at all. Spending gazillions of dollars on mail that few want is stupid and a waste of funds.
    They SPAM your mailbox with enough paper to keep you warm in the winter if you burned it all.

Most gun guys dont play that crap. If the NRA would get real and quit spending a fortune on crap that dont matter, their membership would be 3 times more than what it is.

Several years ago a NRA Regional Rep met up with my gunclub at the local steakhouse. We were there to eat steak and listen to what he had to say. He wanted to buy everyones dinner, a fine gesture on his part, but it would have been a waste of over 600 bucks as every one there expected to pay for their own and we did. That would have come out of the NRA budget. We told him to keep it and do something constructive with it. The problem is that the big dogs in the NRA rub shoulders with some many politicians that eventually they start looking and soundling like them.

Dont get me wrong, the NRA is the only reason that we still have any firearm freedoms left. It just seems to me that they could be a lot more efficient in the war against gun grabbers...and as long as there is evil in the world, there will always be someone that wants the guns.
    We have to give a little to keep alot. The NRA has to fund its legislative efforts with donations,they can't use dues .they are a non profit org. If they left it up to the members to send in enough money to wage this war,how much do you think they would get without soliciting for donations via the mail. We would have lost long ago.
    azretired likes this.

Like it or not, the NRA is our voice in Government. To say you won't support them because you get too much junk mail is absurd. Don't open it, chuck it in the trash and move on.
    For those that say they put a spin on issues to support their agenda, we'll gee whiz, welcome to the big league. It's how the game is played.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    azretired likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

I think that both the NRA, and the GOA are positives in the continuing battle to not have our 2nd amendments rights diminished, or abrogated. I do believe that they both absolutely have political agendas...but still are upholding the values that most of us have within us. My way is to let all who will hear me know that my support of legal, thoughtful, and careful carrying of arms is within me ...a civic duty and heartfelt responsibility.
    ericb327 likes this.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Like it or not, the NRA is our voice in Government. To say you won't support them because you get too much junk mail is absurd. Don't open it, chuck it in the trash and move on.
    For those that say they put a spin on issues to support their agenda, we'll gee whiz, welcome to the big league. It's how the game is played.

It is a disservice to members when you do not give them the correct facts. That is what I am talking about. I don't give a hoot what dribble they give the populace. Too many folks beleive 100 percent what they read in the NRA and GOA newsletters. Again, I am talking about the folks that are members. Why are they playing a game with those that already support them?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I Vote!!!!

I also contact my congressman and senators. Are you saying I have to give money to make a difference. I am actually a lifetime member donating back in the 90s. The NRA will get no more of my money until I feel comfortable supporting them.
    I'm saying beloning to a larger more powerful group with alot more clout,you know the old "united we stand,divided we fall"thing is a better more productive way to help. People voting is a good thing, but remember thats how obama got in the White House. Your posistion is the same as saying,I'm not voting because I don' t like either of the ones running. Your no vote is actually a vote for the wrong side. Same with your posistion on the NRA. If everyone that supports the NRA decided to withdraw their support for something that they aren't comfortable with,and go it alone like you,how long do you think it would take before the 2A was just a memory.Look,your going to do what you want to,you have your opinion,I have a different one. Thats part of what makes the United States what it is.Peace, out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philco View Post
    As a Life Member of the N.R.A. this is encouraging news for me. I do, however caution all those here who support the N.R.A. and the values it promotes to realize that the battle is not won, nor will it ever likely be over. There are always those with an agenda that includes stripping the American populace of its right to bear arms. The N.R.A. is in my opinion, the single best vehicle for upholding the rights of every American to own and carry firearms. Hopefully I'm preaching to the chior here, but I will nonetheless appeal to anyone who cares about their right to bear arms to join and support the National Rifle Association.

First, welcome aboard the forum.

I, too, am a Life Member of the NRA -- a "Distinguished Life Member", yet. However, danged if I have any idea what I did to become distinguished -- unless it was to live this long without becoming extinguished. I also belong to a couple of other national RKBA groups.

However, for some years now, I have devoted my efforts to the grassroots organizations and efforts. IMHO, that's where the real progress has been and needs to continue to be made. Many of the "national" wins were started locally -- e.g., see The National Park Service self defense ban repeal effort time line

Even at the national level, check out NRA's actual role in Heller.

The NRA is always behind the curve at the politics of the State and totally missing on local issues. That's where the fight goes on in the trenches. If you are committed, you might check out Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed, Inc We, here in Virginia, have put over a thousand folk in the State GA building at the same time. We have generated over 15,000 emails, overnight. We show up at local council meeting and speak. It works.

I strongly recommend every one get involved ay the local level. If your Sates doesn't have a grassroots RKBA organization, work to start one. If yours is weak, work to build it up. If it is strong, help keep it that way. Check out: Links to State and Local Gun Rights Organizations ; Open Carry Gun Laws: Pro-Gun Grassroots Groups Taking the Lead in Gun Rights Fight - ABC News ;
    suntzu and ericb327 like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Who really cares about the general public's opinion of the NRA? If you are a member...then they work for you. Plain and simple...the rest of the public? How do you think Obama got elected?
    #1.....the NRA needs to be supported.
    #2.....lobbying? Hey......why should we have to lobby in the first place in order to protect our 2n amendment rights?
    #3.....many view the NRA as some sort of evil force...but the records speak for themselves.
    #4.....next time you become a victim of a hurricane and the locals take all of your firearms under some sort of state of emergency......how you gonna get them back
    #5.....how are you gonna make the ******** who stole your firearms under some illegal pretense pay for what they did illegally?
    #6......how are you going to keep that from happening again to you or your fellow brother?
    #7.....how are you going to keep the rest of the ******** from taking away every thing you have along with your rights under the constitution?
    I don't forcefully ask everyone to become a member of the NRA.....it's a personal choice. If you own or carry firearms, then it's a small insurance policy that you support the NRA. This is not a gang nor is it a teamster's union. They don't play games and they defend you each and every time something stupid happens that you don't know about. New laws, someone else fixing to go to jail. Families hands behind backs and open to terrorism because of laws.
    Since the general public can't seem to stick together or act as a team for the benefit of all....we need a power that will perform when needed. If we worked as a team alone, we wouldn't need to seek a higher power and financially support it. It is what it is...and we've made it as such. Backbone means never having to pay anyone to do your dirty deeds. America lost it's backbone before I was born and I'm a young 47 years old now. Without the NRA, there would essentially be no country left for us to be proud of and no constitution for our next generation to respect. The "public"....quite frankly makes me sick. I wish I could relinquish my membership from that but it's not possible.
    azretired likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post

Guess what! Some people actually care about more stuff than just RKBA! If a group such as the NRA refuses to recognize that they do so at their own peril. I know militant tree huggers that could probably tell you how many million trees the NRA has killed to do their mass mail campaigns. As far as being my voice in the government, they are not. My voice is Ron Paul, Kay Bailey Hutchison, and John Cronyn. They are the ones that represent me and are accountable to me and my neighbors.
    If the people of Texas and I were to take an anti 2A position would the NRA advocate that on my behalf? If not they are not my voice are they?
    Last edited by mcp1810; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: clean up typos
    ericb327 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

A distinguished member of the forum and an english major. Really !

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah, the NRA isnt real smart in its marketing approach at all. .
    They sent me a free one year membership, when it expired they sent me a renewal notice disguised to look like a delinquent bill collector's notice. I like most of what they do, but don't support strong-arm tactics, like AARP uses.
    Last edited by Arborigine; June 4th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.

I think the NRA and GOA hurt, rather than help gun rights. Their extremism, fear-mongering and irrationality alienate those in the middle who might otherwise be supportive of gun rights. Wayne LaPierre is especially egregious as someone who is overly strident and inflammatory in his comments. I support the Second Amendment, but never the NRA or GOA. If both organizations were to go away tomorrow, gun owners would be better off and better-served.

Don't get me wrong, I belong to the NRA. I support much of what they do. They do not always refine their efforts, and do resort to fear mongering and some dirty money collection tactics.

They are slowly morphing into something more than what they used to be. The ship seems to be moving back to 2A rights only battles as of late. They still have more correcting to do.

They also have been very slow to act on major issues as well. They seem to wait longer and longer in supporting the initial people involved in lawsuits that will further to keep our 2A rights. Seeing as the cost to win a battle in court is rather expensive, that is sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links