Public opinion about the National Rifle Association - Page 3

Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

This is a discussion on Public opinion about the National Rifle Association within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 If the people of Texas and I were to take an anti 2A position would the NRA advocate that on my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If the people of Texas and I were to take an anti 2A position would the NRA advocate that on my behalf? If not they are not my voice are they?
    Ah....no, I don't suppose they would.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I do support our rights. I do not support the NRA. I don't need a bunch propaganda dealing morons to represent me.
    I just posted this in another thread in response to a similar statement, but I feel it's relevant here as well:

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. [snip] While I agree that you are right to support the SAF, the NRA does more than anyone else to defend our gun rights, even if only because they have more money and voice in DC, and they shouldn't be abandoned or criticized.

If I had the money, I'd join every one of them, and donate heavily to all. Of course, being broke most of the time means I have to choose who I support, and the NRA gets my dollar when I have only one.

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I think the NRA and GOA hurt, rather than help gun rights. Their extremism, fear-mongering and irrationality alienate those in the middle who might otherwise be supportive of gun rights. Wayne LaPierre is especially egregious as someone who is overly strident and inflammatory in his comments. I support the Second Amendment, but never the NRA or GOA. If both organizations were to go away tomorrow, gun owners would be better off and better-served.
    I doubt there would be any gun owners left in that case...
    Last edited by livewire; June 4th, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: merge
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    They ran me off. First it became clear where my donation money was going when I started receiving expensive, glossy mailings asking me to sign up (They didn't start send this junk until after I was already a member). I was getting phone calls several times a month asking for more donations. After repeated threats to cancel my membership if they didn't stop badgering me, I decided to make good on my promise.

Good cause. Lousy management and execution. If this is the best we have to represent us, it's time for something new.
    suntzu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Ah....no, I don't suppose they would.
    So they are "my voice" as long as I agree with what they are saying.

They are an advocacy and education group. Nothing more, nothing less. If for some reason the people of one state were to take a position on a gun related issue (alleged gun show loophole for example) that is at odds with the majority of their membership whose side are they going to support in their lobbying efforts? It is our state level organizations that more accurately would be described as our voice.

The big power the NRA has is their political fund. In parts of the country where folks are trying to get elected or re-elected that can be a pretty big stick. But if you are running for Senate I would think the endorsement of the state level association, all of whose members theoretically can actually vote for you, would be the bigger prize. The state level associations are responsible to the people in your neighborhood. They owe no allegience to people who may be thousands of miles away from you and may have radically different viewpoints on certain issues.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

So they are "my voice" as long as I agree with what they are saying.

They are an advocacy and education group. Nothing more, nothing less. If for some reason the people of one state were to take a position on a gun related issue (alleged gun show loophole for example) that is at odds with the majority of their membership whose side are they going to support in their lobbying efforts? It is our state level organizations that more accurately would be described as our voice.

The big power the NRA has is their political fund. In parts of the country where folks are trying to get elected or re-elected that can be a pretty big stick. But if you are running for Senate I would think the endorsement of the state level association, all of whose members theoretically can actually vote for you, would be the bigger prize. The state level associations are responsible to the people in your neighborhood. They owe no allegience to people who may be thousands of miles away from you and may have radically different viewpoints on certain issues.
    Remember, the NRA is a gun rights organization. That's like complaining that PETA doesn't support your choice to hunt, or that one of the environmental lobby groups doesn't support coal fire power plants.... well DUH
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. [snip] While I agree that you are right to support the SAF, the NRA does more than anyone else to defend our gun rights, even if only because they have more money and voice in DC, and they shouldn't be abandoned or criticized.
    So if they should not be abondoned or criticized how are they to know if we approve of what they are doing for us? Without criticizing them for doing stuff we might not like how are they to know what it is we want them to do? And if they are not interested in what it is we want them to do, whose interest are they really serving?

when the NRA goes away so will your gun rights
    azretired likes this.

So if they should not be abondoned or criticized how are they to know if we approve of what they are doing for us? Without criticizing them for doing stuff we might not like how are they to know what it is we want them to do? And if they are not interested in what it is we want them to do, whose interest are they really serving?
    They should not be abandoned until there is someone (such as the GOA or SAF) large and powerful enough to take their place.

Criticized? Sure, if you think they're doing wrong, complain long and loud. Of course, if you're not a member, why should they care what you think?

-- John F. Kennedy

The NRA is the big dog, and is respected as such. As far as junk mail etc, just go to their website and "opt out" which does not stop absolutely everything, but it sure cuts it down. Did this years ago, and all I see is a few (usually NRA-ILA) mailings and maybe a couple phone calls a year.

PS: Actually it's called the "Do not Promote" list - with just a phone call or email thru their site.
    Last edited by rainmaker; June 5th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    They should not be abandoned until there is someone (such as the GOA or SAF) large and powerful enough to take their place.

Criticized? Sure, if you think they're doing wrong, complain long and loud. Of course, if you're not a member, why should they care what you think?
    The point is that several of us were members and their behavior drove us away. They demonstrated when we were members that they didn't care what we thought. We might still give them a little money here and there but that does not mean they can claim us as members and claim to be speaking for us. Of course it they actually listened to us they might get back another couple thousand or who knows maybe even a million dues paying members members and not increase their postal bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    The NRA is the big dog, and is respected as such. As far as junk mail etc, just go to their website and "opt out" which does not stop absolutely everything, but it sure cuts it down. Did this years ago, and all I see is a few (usually NRA-ILA) mailings and maybe a couple phone calls a year.
    That is great, glad you are happy with them. If they ever have an option where I get absolutely nothing except 1) ballot for electing board members. 2) membership renewal notice, I might join again.

VIP Member
    The point is that several of us were members and their behavior drove us away.
    Hope that means you (all y'al) that were driven away are now members of the GOA, SAF, JPFO, etc and also members of a State based Grassroots RKBA organization.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Hope that means you (all y'al) that were driven away are now members of the GOA, SAF, JPFO, etc and also members of a State based Grassroots RKBA organization.
    GOA spews more fear mongering than the NRA! I just don't understand why they feel they need to do that. The members already agree with what they stand for..they don't need to spin anything. Save that for their appearances on FOX and MSNBC where they are debating with anti's who are throwing their own spin. I personally don't need it and it is a turn off. I have written to the NRA and GOA about this prior to not renewing. All I got was a nice canned email that said thank you and we will address your concerns appropriately.

If it were not for the efforts of the NRA and other organizations, we would have no gun rights. We would be just like England and Australia! So what, we get some crap in the mail, costs next to nothing in the bulk mailings. I've written to them and yeah I got a canned response, but that's more than I got from my senator or congressman or my car dealer when I've complained to them.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links