Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

This is a discussion on Public opinion about the National Rifle Association within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Volokh Conspiracy Public opinion about the National Rifle Association Public opinion about the National Rifle Association David Kopel • June 2, 2012 10:08 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

VIP Member

The Volokh Conspiracy Public opinion about the National Rifle Association

David Kopel • June 2, 2012 10:08 pm

In April, a Reuters/Ipsos poll found that the National Rifle Association was viewed favorably by 68% of Americans, and unfavorably by 32%. Unlike most polls, the Reuters poll apparently did not allow “unsure” or “undecided” as a choice. In each of the demographics which the poll provided–Republicans, Democrats, independents,
    whites, and blacks–the NRA was viewed favorably by at least 55%.

SNIP

Thus, generally speaking, over the last two decades, Americans who favor handgun prohibition appear to have accurately identified the NRA as a major obstacle to their wishes, and have viewed the NRA unfavorably. Americans who oppose handgun prohibition have viewed the NRA favorably for the same reason.

As American public opinion has evolved from a majority to a super-majority which supports the right to own a handgun, public opinion has likewise moved towards a super-majority with a favorable view of the NRA.

SNIP
    I know a number of us, myself included, wish the NRA was more aggressive on a number of fronts. However, IMHO, this "super-majority" is a very good thing for our cause.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 3rd, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spacing
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

As a Life Member of the N.R.A. this is encouraging news for me. I do, however caution all those here who support the N.R.A. and the values it promotes to realize that the battle is not won, nor will it ever likely be over. There are always those with an agenda that includes stripping the American populace of its right to bear arms. The N.R.A. is in my opinion, the single best vehicle for upholding the rights of every American to own and carry firearms. Hopefully I'm preaching to the chior here, but I will nonetheless appeal to anyone who cares about their right to bear arms to join and support the National Rifle Association.

This is good news
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I don't trust polls, never have and never will. Just the way I am
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I do support our rights. I do not support the NRA. I don't need a bunch propaganda dealing morons to represent me.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I've been a NRA member for over 30 years. I try to support the NRA at every given opportunity and I strongly encourage EVERYONE on this forum to do same. The NRA deserves a trophy for all they do, IMHO -

I use a NRA credit card, which gives a little commission fee back to NRA with each purchase. Additionally, I just made purchase at Midway Shooting, and I checked off the "round up" feature which adds a few bucks to the total, with all of that money goes directly to NRA.

Bottom line - SUPPORT THE NRA IF YOU VALUE YOUR 2A RIGHTS!!!!!!!

-
    scgunlover1 and protek like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I routinely do the round up at Midway but will never again actually write a check to the NRA. The sheer volume of third class mail I got from them was a pain in the rear. And of course 80% of it was asking me for more money. If they had an option of joining without them mailing me anything except a renewal notice I might consider it again.
    slingshot554 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, the NRA isnt real smart in its marketing approach at all. Spending gazillions of dollars on mail that few want is stupid and a waste of funds.
    They SPAM your mailbox with enough paper to keep you warm in the winter if you burned it all.

Most gun guys dont play that crap. If the NRA would get real and quit spending a fortune on crap that dont matter, their membership would be 3 times more than what it is.

Several years ago a NRA Regional Rep met up with my gunclub at the local steakhouse. We were there to eat steak and listen to what he had to say. He wanted to buy everyones dinner, a fine gesture on his part, but it would have been a waste of over 600 bucks as every one there expected to pay for their own and we did. That would have come out of the NRA budget. We told him to keep it and do something constructive with it. The problem is that the big dogs in the NRA rub shoulders with some many politicians that eventually they start looking and soundling like them.

Dont get me wrong, the NRA is the only reason that we still have any firearm freedoms left. It just seems to me that they could be a lot more efficient in the war against gun grabbers...and as long as there is evil in the world, there will always be someone that wants the guns.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If they stop treating members like idiots by discontinuing their spewing of fear mongering information with incomplete details and facts I might start giving again. I do round up when I purchase at Midway. At least I don't get junk mail every other week this way.
    ericb327 and WHEC724 like this.

Love them, hate them, they have protected our right to keep and bear arms.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The NRA certainly isn't perfect, which is why I am also a GOA member and I like their stance a lot more. In any event, this is good news if it is trustworthy. It's nice to see that we have moved beyond the Dark Ages of the 1990s on this issue, hopefully we can keep the momentum on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I do support our rights. I do not support the NRA. I don't need a bunch propaganda dealing morons to represent me.
    *** If you don't belong to the NRA ,or Gun Owners of America,just what is it you do to support our rights. And what propaganda do you allege the NRA deals in. I think its ok if you don't want to belong to either of these groups,but to cast dispersions about the NRA with nothing to back up your remarks is wrong. They sound like liberal talking points,if true,give us the evidence. The NRA is not perfect,there are some things i'm sure we all don't like. But big picture here, they do alot to preserve your right to keep your guns. It takes large powerful groups with the support of its members to have enough power to fight the anti-gun segment of our government in the court system. I doubt there are many with the resourses to do it alone. I'm sure some consessions have been made along the way they and the membership would have rather not made,but was nessesary to preserve the integrity of the pro-gun movement. We do what we can with what we have. Its not perfect, but its all we have. Taking a stand like yours does nothing to help anyone, including you. If we aren't united,standing together,even with their faults, and try to go it alone as individals,we will all lose. No one alone is going to make much difference. Put us all together with what little we as individals can do,we can be a very large, very strong force to deal with. Bad mouthing those that are really trying to do something is harmful to our cause. The guy that speeds all the time is usually the first to complain about the cost of gas. Remember your posisition when the ATF comes to confiscate our guns.Are you going to be able to say,I did all I could.
    Chevy-SS and azretired like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    *** If you don't belong to the NRA ,or Gun Owners of America,just what is it you do to support our rights. And what propaganda do you allege the NRA deals in. I think its ok if you don't want to belong to either of these groups,but to cast dispersions about the NRA with nothing to back up your remarks is wrong. They sound like liberal talking points,if true,give us the evidence. The NRA is not perfect,there are some things i'm sure we all don't like. But big picture here, they do alot to preserve your right to keep your guns. It takes large powerful groups with the support of its members to have enough power to fight the anti-gun segment of our government in the court system. I doubt there are many with the resourses to do it alone. I'm sure some consessions have been made along the way they and the membership would have rather not made,but was nessesary to preserve the integrity of the pro-gun movement. We do what we can with what we have. Its not perfect, but its all we have. Taking a stand like yours does nothing to help anyone, including you. If we aren't united,standing together,even with their faults, and try to go it alone as individals,we will all lose. No one alone is going to make much difference. Put us all together with what little we as individals can do,we can be a very large, very strong force to deal with. Bad mouthing those that are really trying to do something is harmful to our cause. The guy that speeds all the time is usually the first to complain about the cost of gas. Remember your posisition when the ATF comes to confiscate our guns.Are you going to be able to say,I did all I could.
    Paragraphs are your friend as are spaces after punctuation (. , ; :)
    suntzu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    If you do not see fear mongering by the NRA and GOA you really need a reality check. I all ask for are "the facts ma'am". I am a big boy that can do my research and make up my own mind about the Small Arms Treaty and other issues. When I read some of the stuff they send in the email the first thing I do is look up the issue they are talking about. The NRA info they publish is like watching FOX or MSNBC. They spin it their way. Well, there are two sides to issues.

And I am not even saying the NRA is wrong a lot of times. But feeding people only what they want to hear or trying to get them to fear something without all the facts is not professional at all. Some folks here are educated and do look things up. They can have the exact same support they have now with out peddling in the fear market.
    ericb327 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links