Go Idaho! Proud of my State!

This is a discussion on Go Idaho! Proud of my State! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Firearm-friendly towns in Idaho lure gun makers | Fox News With Video. Detroit is known for cars, Los Angeles for its stars, now small towns ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Go Idaho! Proud of my State!

Firearm-friendly towns in Idaho lure gun makers | Fox News

With Video.

Detroit is known for cars, Los Angeles for its stars, now small towns in Idaho are trying to become gun towns. But it’s not exactly a return to the Wild West: The goal is to get people working again.

“It’s gonna create some jobs,” says David Brown, mayor of Potlatch, Idaho. “We can stay here, our kids can stay here and live and work.”

Potlatch, in western Idaho, for generations was a mill town. In 1906, it boasted the world’s largest pine saw mill. Its lumber built cities all over the United States. But in 1981, with its mill obsolete, Potlatch Lumber Inc. closed the mill and, with it, the town’s identity.

PNW Arms, a high-tech ammunition company based in Seattle, was recently looking for a new home. Tired of the long drives to the shooting range to test their products and the laundry list of government regulations on weapons makers, PNW Arms settled on Potlatch.

“We have a welcoming environment,” says William Lyon, vice president of sales and marketing at PNW Arms. “We’re able to bring on staff that is familiar with our kind of work, and our supply chain is a lot closer.”

About 58 companies that make either guns or ammunition are currently based in Idaho, and government officials throughout the state are targeting more. The Commerce Department calls it ‘Rec-Tech’. The state legislature is gun-friendly, passing a law that shields weapons makers from liability when their products are involved in tragedies. The goal is to poach gun makers from states where the industry is heavily regulated.

Potlatch is just getting started. B.J. Swanson, Latah County’s economic development director, has had inquiries from six weapons makers in the past few weeks. She and other officials envision an industrial park on the site of the old mill. Artist drawings show the manufacturing plants surrounded by stores and restaurants catering to gun enthusiasts.

“Big, yes,” says Swanson. “To start off with, maybe small. Maybe a couple companies with 10 employees would be a great start, and we could expand from there.”

Mayor Brown says gun crime is not a concern. Firearms are already a way of life in Potlatch. “Every pickup in town, you’ll see a gun in the rack,” says Brown. He only sees opportunity. “The guns are gonna be built someplace, why not here?” says Brown. “It’s controlled; we’re not having a lot of killings around here.”

Read more: Firearm-friendly towns in Idaho lure gun makers | Fox News
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Good luck to them.

Just don't poach any of the firearm businesses from my neighborhood!
    hinkleid likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Good luck to them.

Just don't poach any of the firearm businesses from my neighborhood!
    What is all in SD? I do like your area too.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Sounds like a winner in the making...smart town!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links