NY Ammo Laws!

This is a discussion on NY Ammo Laws! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys/gals, I have a quick question for you. I live in New York and I went to Walmart today to buy some .32 auto ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: NY Ammo Laws!

NY Ammo Laws!

Hey guys/gals, I have a quick question for you. I live in New York and I went to Walmart today to buy some .32 auto ammo. I currently do not own a .32 auto pistol but I was under the impression that once you own a pistol permit that you are legally allowed to buy any pistol ammo that you want. The Walmart employee working the register and her manager seems to believe otherwise. They would not sell the ammo to me. Am I wrong in believing that I am able to buy an pistol ammo that I want even though I do not own a pistol in that caliber?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    You don't neve need a pistol permit to buy ammo (at least not in NYC).

As for Walmart, that is one of their stupid rules (not state law), they want to see the caliber you are buying on your permit.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

But they can't legally make a rule that goes against the law that states I can buy any ammo that I want when I have a pistol permit, can they? I have been trying to find the law that says I'm allowed to buy any pistol ammo I want but I can't seem to find it. Is there a link to it somewhere so I can print it out and show it to them the next time I go?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You don't neve need a pistol permit to buy ammo (at least not in NYC).

As for Walmart, that is one of their stupid rules (not state law), they want to see the caliber you are buying on your permit.
    it must be a local thing, I never saw that in a wal mart here in FLA, or GA or TX

They can make up any rule they want. If they decide to sell only to people over 6 feet tall wearing clown suits, they can do it - they just can't be any less restrictive than state laws.
    Bottom line - find another store.
    Exacto likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Walmart denied me too.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it must be a local thing, I never saw that in a wal mart here in FLA, or GA or TX
    Yes, in Suffolk County NY, I went in to by 45acp for a pistol carbine and they refused to sell it to me. It seems that walmart made a strict policy about the sale of handgun calibers. However, they stock palates of 12/20 gauge shells all along the sporting isles for the local hoods to steal.

Stoopids... lol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They can make up any rule they want. If they decide to sell only to people over 6 feet tall wearing clown suits, they can do it - they just can't be any less restrictive than state laws.
    Bottom line - find another store.
    Better yet find a state that doesn't require a gun permit or list guns on your permit, then move there.
    WrongRecroom and Exacto like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    WOW! I can go an buy all the ammo on the shelf (or the max purchase they have imposed due to hording) of any caliber, and the only thing I have to provide is either cash or plastic to pay for it.

I guess ordering ammo online isn't possible either, which is actually how I obtain most of mine (cheaper by the case)
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

In Buffalo I can buy ammo in any caliber with out ID.

lol... they list a specific pistol on your license?

Links