Should you be required to lock up...

This is a discussion on Should you be required to lock up... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A current case (mentioned in another thread) got me thinking on this... again. In this case, a guy is getting sued for not locking up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Should you be required to lock up...

A current case (mentioned in another thread) got me thinking on this... again. In this case, a guy is getting sued for not locking up his .22 pistol in 2007. Grandson stole the pistol then killed 3 people.

Now to keep things straight, I've got kids in the roost, and their friends. If not in easy reach, my firearms are locked up. The exception being that during the day we often keep a .22 rifle and/or a pellet gun by the back door for certain critters (and my kids are welcome to use them for that purpose) - it gets locked up if other kids are visiting (we're pretty far off the road - we know if someone's coming to visit). I consider that my personal, unlegislated responsibility under the "attractive nusiance" principle - just like putting a fence around a swimming pool.

But I don't think it should be a legal requirement or responsibility by any means. If it was, wouldn't we logically need to extend that requirement to the really dangerous stuff we own?

The CDC says over 75K deaths/yr are "AADs" - Alcohol Attributable Deaths. Now, we've already got warning labels all over these bottles, but shouldn't you be required to keep them in a certified safe, with individual locks on each cap? Should "Assault Alcohols," like Colt 44 or "Arrogant ******* Ale" or those with magazines holding a capacity over 10 (like a 12-pack of Bud) even be allowed?

Automobiles accidents result in 30K+ deaths per year in the US - shouldn't you be required to lock your keys in a safe? More properly, shouldn't your motor vehicles be rendered immobile and inoperable by a California-approved steering wheel/throttle lock at all times except when needed for legal and authorized use?

This study says 5-gallon buckets cause up to 24% of toddler drowning deaths. Do you have any on property that aren't properly locked up, rendered inoperable, and stored at least 50' away from water sources?

This could go on ad absurdum.

But I don't expect a lock or a fence to keep my kids from getting hurt or hurting someone else - I tell them to keep their hands off firearms except until they're trained to use them, to keep away from my booze, not to take the keys and go for a joy ride, not to touch hot stoves, and not to play with the kitchen knives.

BL: If my kids take the rifle and kill someone with it, sue me for bad parenting, failure to instill values, or child neglect (for not teaching proper firearms safety), not improper firearms storage.

Should you be required to lock up... ?
    About as much as you should be required to buckle up.

Remember the team spirit now.........you'll always end up paying for others' mistakes. It's making the world a safer place for all of us that counts. Granted...stupid can't be fixed, but I believe it can be solved. Unfortunately that would take more time and resources than we're obviously allowed to have these days. Besides....the smarter folks in society know what's best for us. Make it a law to have common sense and look where we'd be then. testing booths set up in the front yard of the county jail. What would this mean for those who passed the test? More taxes to support those who failed. It never ends brother................it's all designed to stress you out.......cause insurance premiums to go up......support your local physician.........and become permanently involved with prescription drugs and support those who couldn't care less about you but more for their own financial gain. If that don't cheer you up and get you out of that slump..........................................
    mprp, Spirit51 and wmhawth like this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    No, no, no

I do not keep my guns locked up because of the law. I keep them locked up because a lawyer can break the piggy bank and make life a living hell. As stupid as the case you mentioned is, it is the reality of the society we live in.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    In Minnesota it IS the law...

Well, not locking it up - but making sure that if something were to happen that a 'reasonable' person would think you did everything possible to keep a firearm from a child's grasp.

In other words, hidden in the closet isn't going to cut it... So I make sure I keep mine locked up if they aren't on me.

Years ago we had glass front wood gun cabinets,or wall mounted gun racks to display our fine firearms.They no longer sell those and in todays world it's either metal gun cabinets,or actual gun safes that we store firearms in.In most states having trigger locks on your firearms is all that is required,works good for stopping the usual ND,but they can be cut off.I try to limit the number of people that know I have guns and where I live
    NH_Esau likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Awesome Ram Rod, awesome. Quite the overall picture. Problem is, it makes sense.

And thank goodness you threw that kitty in there...you were starting to bum me out.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

In short, no. No one answer covers all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Awesome Ram Rod, awesome. Quite the overall picture. Problem is, it makes sense.

And thank goodness you threw that kitty in there...you were starting to bum me out.
    Did you see a "kitty"? Anyone else see a kitty?

Hey.........sometimes it's difficult to be tactful with the truth...best you can achieve at that point is a little bit of balance. Prescription medication for depression is way worse than depression itself.....just read the label, the warnings, and the side effects.....if you're still alive in the morning (call me).
    Thank you for the kind words.

Distinguished Member
    Should they be required? Heck No.

Should they anyway? Depends on their circumstances.

In my case, it's only me and the wife in the house. Not much need to lock them up, unless company is over.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I do not keep my guns locked up because of the law. I keep them locked up because a lawyer can break the piggy bank and make life a living hell. As stupid as the case you mentioned is, it is the reality of the society we live in.
    True, but you can get ooodles of umbrella excess liability insurance added to the basic home owner's policy or renter's policy for a relative pittance. They wouldn't be selling it that cheaply
    if these sorts of jack-pot cases happened with the regularity folks think they do.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    True, but you can get ooodles of umbrella excess liability insurance added to the basic home owner's policy or renter's policy for a relative pittance. They wouldn't be selling it that cheaply
    if these sorts of jack-pot cases happened with the regularity folks think they do.
    Thats if the insurance company covers that particular peril...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    like harry said and the fact that its eaiser to lock them than to explain for days into weeks to different groups of people with badges and clipboards why the are missing..
    and if they endup being used in other crimes it just gets worse and more expensive. and the weeks crawl into months
    plus if an actual innocent is hurt id honestly feel even worse.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    BL: If my kids take the rifle and kill someone with it, sue me for bad parenting, failure to instill values, or child neglect (for not teaching proper firearms safety), not improper firearms storage.
    I agree with this statement.

Michael
    Hopyard likes this.

There are already more laws on the books than are ever going to be enforced. Why add another unenforceable one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links