Chicago gets spanked by a Federal Judge once again!

This is a discussion on Chicago gets spanked by a Federal Judge once again! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Part of Chicago's guns laws gets struck down. Federal judge strikes down part of Chicago's gun law - chicagotribune.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Chicago gets spanked by a Federal Judge once again!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

sensei2, Justified and accessbob like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

Thumbs up

atctimmy likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Step in the right direction!
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Will things change? Maybe in the long run. One of my family is a Chicago cop and is very much familiar with this process. All I can say is a ruling by a judge isn't going to change much. It's still a corrupt process. Is it a step in the right direction? Yes.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1md4tx

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good ruling by the judge. The man was denied a CWL because of a misdemeanor conviction of possessing a firearm in a public street. It's quite ridiculous. Now to wad up the rest of the toilet paper masquerading as gun legislation.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Step in the right direction!
    Really? Here's what the story said: "when a federal judge ruled that the section banning permits for people convicted of unlawful use of a weapon is vague and unconstitutional."

Sorry, I like the idea of not giving permits to folks who are convicted of unlawful use of a weapon. They already
    showed their irresponsibility. Why should they get a permit? I don't understand the ruling.
    kb2wji likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Good ruling by the judge. The man was denied a CWL because of a misdemeanor conviction of possessing a firearm in a public street. It's quite ridiculous. Now to wad up the rest of the toilet paper masquerading as gun legislation.
    I don't like this ruling. I have little tolerance for people who are convicted for any weapons crime.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

^ Agreed. He was convicted of illegally carrying a firearm. May not be the end of the world, but he still made a choice to break the law. I dont know if someone with that mindset needs to be carrying a firearm. I wonder where this guy draws the line? Only obey laws that you agree with? Either way, this guy is not a good advocate for the 2nd Amendment.

chicago is doing everything it can to neutralize or minimize the effects of the Heller Decision. i expect this to continue, but i also expect that the city will eventually be hauled, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century.
    ericb327 likes this.

If he was convicted of unlawfully carrying a firearm on the streets in Chicago, I really don't want to judge him harshly. Yeah, I'm sure he knew about the law, but if he felt it was better to go to jail than to die because he couldn't protect himself, then I understand completely. I don't think that's reckless or something that should keep him from keeping his right to bear arms.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't like this ruling. I have little tolerance for people who are convicted for any weapons crime.
    Like that guy in NY who now has a weapons conviction even though he was legally transporting a firearm while moving to a new residence? He did nothing wrong, but a corrupt system screwed him over.

If it had happened in Chigago, the same thing would have happened, and he would have the same conviction at the guy in this story.

Are you saying he should lose all his gun rights?

and in response to the OP: Yes, the feds ruled against Chicago again. And you can bet your last dollar that Chicago will either skirt around or blatantly ignore the ruling. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    ^ Agreed. He was convicted of illegally carrying a firearm. May not be the end of the world, but he still made a choice to break the law. I dont know if someone with that mindset needs to be carrying a firearm. I wonder where this guy draws the line? Only obey laws that you agree with? Either way, this guy is not a good advocate for the 2nd Amendment.
    First point...Totally agree. I live in the communist state of Illinois and I hate the gun laws here. BUT I abide by them. We don't have the right or the luxury of deciding what is a good law or a bad law. The law is the law and this guy broke the law. I would love to conceal carry here but I don't. Anyone thinks they can do what they want is no different than any other criminal is this country. Breaking the law is breaking the law. We don't want that type with a firearm or CCW.

Second point...it will take a lot more to change things in Illinois. Laws and rights don't mean a thing when you have a corrupt system administering the process.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1wwhek

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Case and ruling here

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.co...law-ruling.pdf
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    If he was convicted of unlawfully carrying a firearm on the streets in Chicago, I really don't want to judge him harshly. Yeah, I'm sure he knew about the law, but if he felt it was better to go to jail than to die because he couldn't protect himself, then I understand completely. I don't think that's reckless or something that should keep him from keeping his right to bear arms.
    Ok. Lets play:

You live in a 'May Issue' state. You have no record and would otherwise be qualified to receive a CCW permit. The sheriffs office is corrupt and for whatever reason doesn't issue you the permit (Chicago situation, except its a permit to own in the home). Because you feel you have the right to defend yourself and your family you decide to carry anyway. He's not harming anyone or being reckless...just wants the right to protect his family. Are you ok with this?

Regardless of the situation he didn't like the gun laws and went ahead and decided he knew better. Just because the gun was in his home doesn't make it a better situation. Now he pays the consequences for his actions.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qhgfwe
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCCW View Post
    Ok. Lets play:

You live in a 'May Issue' state. You have no record and would otherwise be qualified to receive a CCW permit. The sheriffs office is corrupt and for whatever reason doesn't issue you the permit (Chicago situation, except its a permit to own in the home). Because you feel you have the right to defend yourself and your family you decide to carry anyway. He's not harming anyone or being reckless...just wants the right to protect his family. Are you ok with this?

Regardless of the situation he didn't like the gun laws and went ahead and decided he knew better. Just because the gun was in his home doesn't make it a better situation. Now he pays the consequences for his actions.
    Yes, I'm ok with that scenario you presented and choosing to protect himself and/or his family rather than obeying an unjust law. He took his gamble and lost (at first) and got 12 months probation and was denied his permit. He received his punishment according to the law. The provision of the law was thrown out as being too vague (which it was) and the man now qualifies for his permit, which I believe he received.

I normally don't think too highly of people who go out of their way to break laws they don't agree with, but in this case, I'm ok with him trying to protect himself in a very dangerous area when the government is doing everything it can to keep him in harm's way. I do my best to be a law-abiding citizen in all aspects, but if the government tried to jeopardize my life or the lives of my family through careless or harmful legislation, I would be ok with doing what I needed to do and take the punishment allotted. If I could do what this guy did and get those laws overturned, then that's even better.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links