Defensive Carry banner

Rights vs Laws

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Wayne 
#1 ·
Was watching the pen and teller show (Gun Control is BS) and they had rep. Hutchinson(sp, sorry) on. The lady that lost her parents in the Libby's shootings in TX.

In it she says that she was/is mad at herself for obeying such a stupid law. If she hadn't, her family may still be alive today.

So, with all the talk and everything else, do you agree with her, that she should have disobeyed the law or no, she obeyed the law and that is what counts.

Wayne

*side: How come I had to agree to the rulez again? When I hit post topic it went to that screen. Just curious :smile:

#2 ·
The rules intro thing Wayne is just introduced - primarily to make sure new members read the rules - and in fact even current members. That way there is little excuse if folks infringe them :wink:

Bumper has a posted a thread on that very matter. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14328

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re the ''legal/illegal'' deal. I really do not want illegalities to be subjects of board discussion - even if hypothetical. It is a minefield.

I will go so far as to say - each and every individual must do what they (personally) consider right and proper in any given circumstance - weighing pro's and con's. If that should result in any technical law-breaking, then that is for them to decide.

#4 ·
Laws Are Important...

and should be followed. I have always tried to be above the law...(great movie, too!). I'm not saying that I would do anything unlawful, but safety for me and mine is 'top shelf'...and...concealed means 'CONCEALED'.
"You know what I mean, Vern?":yup: :yup:

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#6 ·
The really hard part is to balance the safety of your loved ones vs obeying a senseless ordinance that puts you in a unsafe situation.
Usually I avoid these places like the plague but there are certain situations that cannot be avoided. We must all work together to change these but until then it boils down to is it not better to be judged my 12 than carried by 6?

#8 ·
The real problem is this: If you disregard a law, that we all think is pointless, with the guise of protecting yourself and your family, and were involved in a "Libby's" incident, you could and likely would be prosecuted for voilating that law.

The prosecution would paint you as a vigalante. The jury might see you as a loving, caring family man, but they would also see you as a gun toting, modern day Wyatt Earp thanks to the same lawyer.

A wise man once told me that juries were manned by people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

#10 ·
(Libby's shootings in TX) In it she says that she was/is mad at herself for obeying such a stupid law.
What law??

#11 ·
CCW9mm,

The shooting happened before TX had CCW laws. So she obeyed the law and left her gun in the car.

After the shooting, instead of doing what most do and call for more gun control, she ran in the (house/senate?), won, and pushed for CCW.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.