Most Gun Friendly State - Page 4

Most Gun Friendly State

This is a discussion on Most Gun Friendly State within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Kentucky scores a 98! It should be noted KY recognizes all other states permits....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Most Gun Friendly State

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Kentucky scores a 98! It should be noted KY recognizes all other states permits.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Utah does not allow a round to be chambered if OCing without a permit.
    So? Most states have this or that if you don't have a permit. Get a permit and be good to go.
    Face it the 3 best states are AK, AZ and UT. If AZ had different school carry laws and bar carry then the state would be great but they don't. As for AK I really don't know all the particulars of there laws as I have not had an opportunity to carry there and probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Utah wins no question. Ya we might need a permit but we can carry in resturants that serve alcohol or bars for that matter. We can also carry in schools, no weapon signs mean nothing and open carry is legal so if your weapon gets exposed your still good to go. Other states come close but just don't have as much as utah. What good is constitutional carry if you can't carry in a restaurant that serves booze?
    You can carry in bars in AZ with a permit. You can't drink though

I don't really know the laws but I think Alaska might beat the other States.

AK, AZ, and VT. Believe it or not, TX isn't that gun friendly. Official "no gun" signs (30.06) have the force of law, permit wait times aren't all too quick, and there is no open carry.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

VIP Member
    The latest state to get CC WISCONSIN, we have had OC for a long time. Over 120,000 conceal carry permits have been applied for in 8 onths. Permits for state residents only. They recognize many other states permits for visitors. May not be the top dog but we are way up there with our conservative governor. ( avoid the peoples republic of Madison and Milwaukee)

almost forgot to add, Utah has a state gun :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    The Brady Bunch compiles a chart of the nation and assigns each a value based on their perceived notion of the strength of the state's gun laws. It can be 0-100, with 100 meaning Brady-approved, and 0 meaning Arizona. Just subtract their score from 100 and you can convert it to a gun-friendly score, with 100 being most friendly. Doing this Arizona gets a 100, OK gets a 98, and my state NC is an 84. Find your state and see where you fit in according to the Bunch.

Brady Scores By State

Using the Brady scores (converted to gun-friendly) to settle the arguments above:

AK 100
    AZ 100
    UT 100
    NH 94
    VT 94

So nice try, New Englanders ... you just can't beat the Wild West for gun-friendliness.
    As much as I appreciate that PO-ing the Bradybunch should get serious consideration in the ranking, 4 of the points they give to VT are for private property rights (it's not that there are any anti-gun laws on the books).

And in any case, given that they rank IL as only slightly anti-gun (35/100, or 65/100 on our scale)...

But Wild West? I'll take VT's laws over those of TX any day.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    As much as I appreciate that PO-ing the Bradybunch should get serious consideration in the ranking, 4 of the points they give to VT are for private property rights (it's not that there are any anti-gun laws on the books).

And in any case, given that they rank IL as only slightly anti-gun (35/100, or 65/100 on our scale)...

But Wild West? I'll take VT's laws over those of TX any day.
    I would take VT over TX too

One issue I don't see talked about much regarding "gun friendly" is a state's statutory list of prohibited areas for carry. A state may have reasonable laws on the surface, but the prohibited list (and whether or not signs matter) plays a huge role in the day-to-day practicality of carry. For example, prohibiting carry in restaurants that serve alcohol (that would be nearly all of the non fast-food kind) even if you aren't drinking. Apparently the lesson of Luby's wasn't taken to heart in such states.

The state of Smith & Wesson.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I thought Montana was pretty high on the pole for top of gun rights champions, am I wrong?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I haven't lived in Arizona but I have lived in Wyoming. I open carried there with out any problems at all. Even downtown Jackson at the height of tourist season. Walk in and purchase and walk out carrying.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    One issue I don't see talked about much regarding "gun friendly" is a state's statutory list of prohibited areas for carry. A state may have reasonable laws on the surface, but the prohibited list (and whether or not signs matter) plays a huge role in the day-to-day practicality of carry. For example, prohibiting carry in restaurants that serve alcohol (that would be nearly all of the non fast-food kind) even if you aren't drinking. Apparently the lesson of Luby's wasn't taken to heart in such states.
    This is something I appreciate about Utah. I can carry in places that serve alcohol, I can have a drink or two and not have broken any laws. I can carry on school campuses (though the feds make me get a permit to do it). Signs have no weight of law. Public land and buildings are prohibited from enacting policies restricting carrying firearms, public employees included. And all this is backed by a total state preemption law. I basically never have to worry about where I am, or ever disarm because of a law. The only time I've ever disarmed because of a law here was entering a courthouse, and I haven't heard of anywhere that will let you do that as a civilian. I also don't have to tell every cop I meet that I have a gun, hehe. Bear in mind, if I didn't have the permit I wouldn't be able to carry chambered, but that is really the only restriction besides not being able to hide it, for carrying without a permit :)

Administrator
    Pennsylvania is mighty firearm friendly.

Shall Issue.
    Low LTCC fee.
    No oral test.
    No written test.
    No required classes.
    No FOID
    No waiting to purchase.
    No range qualification.
    Not required to notify for a traffic stop.
    Can carry concealed in vehicle.
    No restaurant restrictions.
    Open carry OK (by default) as the State Constitution is silent on Open.
    May consume alcohol when carrying.
    No NO FIREARMS signs posted everywhere.
    Knives - No blade length restrictions.
    No ammunition shipping restrictions.
    May carry any firearm that you legally own.

The usual no carry in Fed buildings, court rooms, school property, stadium,
    PPKman likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links