Defensive Carry banner

Most Gun Friendly State

20K views 84 replies 50 participants last post by  PistolPat 
#1 ·
I hope I've chosen the correct area to post this.

I've been looking around the Internet trying to see which state(s) are the most friendly towards conceal/open carry and handgun purchase. There are many variables to consider in order to make a decision. Each survey, poll, or article that I have found has only touched on this question. So I gave up on the scientific stuff, and figured I'd ask the folks who would know the most. I'm in Florida and the process of getting a CC permit is a pain in the *** but not when compared to the more oppressive states. Any responses will be entered into my prize of the month drawing which is held ..... :image035::image035:

#3 ·
Yep - ditto the Arizona nod. My job brought me here, but wow - what a great place to live if you enjoy firearms. You don't need a permit, but it does open more doors to you and with a CCW your purchases are pre-approved - no NICS calls.

#5 ·
It would be hard to choose a state to live in based just on gun laws.
Many states have laws that are kind to the pro-gun individual...some states are not so kind.
Although FL does not allow OC, one can go pretty much anywhere while CC, and signs mean nothing.
Although I do like FL, TX and OK are sounding pretty good...OK just started OC, by the way.

I don't see what is so difficult about getting a permit in FL though...a short class, fingerprints, and a picture.
Go to a regional center and have your permit in 2 weeks. My renewal was 10 days door to door.

Each state has its pro's & con's.
AZ sounds real good, but there seems to be more illegals than U.S. citizens in the state.

To each his own rational on benefits and drawbacks.

#11 ·
You really need to define what characteristics you are looking at for "most friendly". A lot of states will be well rated in some categories, but terrible in others.
Are you refering specifically to laws on the books, or the interpretation of laws, or how judiciously they are applied.
Then there is the question of how accepted guns are by the populace, and how much the LEO know the laws, both of which will varry by location within the state.

All of that to say, it is very hard to generalize an entire state, and evaluating which is better will be completely subjective based on where you would live in the state, and which categories are most important to you.

One must that I would add to the list is state preemption, to prevent localities from enacting more restrictive laws that travelers might not be aware of (NY, Chicago, etc...)

#15 ·
Then there is the question of how accepted guns are by the populace, and how much the LEO know the laws, both of which will varry by location within the state.
Again, goes to the west... ID, MT, WY (last of the 3 "still" western states). However, Californians moving in by the droves, and many trying their best to liberalize us.

It is not all too uncommon to see cowboys traveling on horseback along some country roads, impeding traffic OC'ing "Old school" with a 45 Colt SA Revolver and a rifle in scabbard. :)

#12 ·
Michigan would be up there if we didnt need to get a purchase permit. CPL holders do not, but the rest do. There is a bill in our house that would abolish the purchase permit, so I guess will see.....

#17 ·
Kentucky is a Constitutional carry state and OC state. If you get a CCDW License you just show it and you can buy guns without a background check. If you don't have a CCDW License the dealer just makes a phone call and you walk out of the store with your new gun.

Ky has no gun laws at all - They are a 2nd amendment state. It's also a - stand your ground state.

#18 ·
Kentucky is a Constitutional carry state and OC state. If you get a CCDW License you just show it and you can buy guns without a background check. If you don't have a CCDW License the dealer just makes a phone call and you walk out of the store with your new gun.

Ky has no gun laws at all - They are a 2nd amendment state.
Kentucky is not constitutional carry, the reason. You need a permit. Kentucky does have "gun laws"!

#19 ·
You DO NOT need a permit to OC in Kentucky or to buy guns. If you want to CC you go to the Sheriff's office and get one. I know - I have one and I OCed before that.

In Our CC class the instructor asked how many gun laws KY has. I answered - none. He told the class that I was right - KY has no gun laws - it's a 2nd amendment state.

The only restrictions are that you cannot be charged with a felony, and convicted, and have a gun and you cannot have one of you're been convicted of spousal abuse.

Reactions: Inspector71
#21 ·
You DO NOT need a permit to OC in Kentucky. If you want to CC you go to the Sheriff's office and get one. I know - I have one and I OCed before that.

In Our CC class the instructor asked how many gun laws KY has. I answered - none. He told the class that I was right - KY has no gun laws - it's a 2nd amendment state.
I enjoy visiting family in KY with my gun in tow. Never encountered the first problem with LEO or anyone else there.

Reactions: BurgerBoy
#22 ·
I never have either - even when I OCed before I got my CCDW License. You can walk right by a LEO OCing here and they don't even say anything to you about it. I live in Murray.

I OC in Wal-Mart and they have never said anything to me about it or has any other business here in town.

A Kentucky State Trooper lives two houses from me and sometimes I walk for exercise and when I do I OC. He sees me and has never said anything to me about it.

#23 ·
Hey actapplied reciprocity( well kind of sort of )is not a problem WE get 29 states with our easy to get permit. Legal in bars and more places than most states allow.our problem is that the bordering states (5) ohio ny nj de md do not honor that is why we need national reciprocity bill s.2188 to pass in the senate. It has passed in the house already.We can get a florida nonresident and gain 7 more including de and ohio 2bordering states.

#24 ·
Hate to give the Brady bunch any credit, but their state rankings are one place to start when comparing the gun-friendliness of the states. Lower score = more friendly. Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Any score of 4 or less would be a really friendly place.

South Dakota is one of the least restrictive states. Permitless OC (though I haven't seen anyone doing such in Rapid City), CC permit is quick, easy and cheap. No waiting, no purchase permits, we recognize all other CC permits, no state level NFA restrictions, and two ammo makers here in the Black Hills!

Reactions: PistolPat
#25 ·
Why aren't more saying Montana? Any gun that is manufactured in the state, and remains in the state is exempt from any federal law.

Only a concealed carry permit is required in town, outside of town it is a true constitutional carry. Everyone here owns a gun, and your looked at funny if you don't (okay maybe all of montana except for the liberal cess pool of Missoula).

#34 ·
Kentucky is considering constitutional Carry in a bill introduced in 2011 but it failed to make it out of committee. Rep Harmon introduced another one in 2012 but they have not acted on it yet. Just sayin.

#36 ·
Sadly it also depends upon the city, township, county, etc., you live in in the various states whether it is "friendly".

#38 ·
"Arizona has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allows the sale of guns without background checks, according to the Brady Campaign." from bradycampaign.org.

I can only think they mean if you have your ccw therefore do not need to go thru the background check. Apparently leaving that fine nugget of information makes it sounds worse and more dangerous to their followers. Interesting how leaving out some facts can change the perception of something.

#42 ·
Philosophically, VT wins - the only place that really has Constitutional carry. No laws on the books EXCEPT one that keeps local/city gov't from infringing. "Shall not be infringed" means just that. Plus (outside of the "cities"), it's one of the few places left where you can not only leave a loaded rifle/shotgun in your pickup rack with your windows open while you're inside the hardware store buying ammo, but expect it to be there when you get back. And, where else in the world would one ever see a guy wearing a Che shirt and Birkies OCing at a Reggae festival?

Second place trophy goes to AZ... almost Constitutional carry also, and bonus points for the common sense of issuing licenses to help your residents (and non-residents) carry elsewhere. OC even starting to gain acceptance in some of the cities.

Of all the places I've lived, however, Alaska was the place nobody blinked at OC, and even though you weren't by law allowed to do so unless you were engaging in certain outdoor activities, in practice just about anything you did out there could be justified as such. New law is almost Constitutional also.

NH is almost there also - took under a week to get my back after dropping $10 and a 1pg hand-written application with the names of 3 friends and my stated purpose of "self defense." But it's still "almost."

Almost may count with horseshoes and large-yield nukes, but not when it comes to The Constitution.

#43 ·
Utah wins no question. Ya we might need a permit but we can carry in resturants that serve alcohol or bars for that matter. We can also carry in schools, no weapon signs mean nothing and open carry is legal so if your weapon gets exposed your still good to go. Other states come close but just don't have as much as utah. What good is constitutional carry if you can't carry in a restaurant that serves booze?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.