Most Gun Friendly State

Most Gun Friendly State

This is a discussion on Most Gun Friendly State within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope I've chosen the correct area to post this. I've been looking around the Internet trying to see which state(s) are the most friendly ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Most Gun Friendly State

Question Most Gun Friendly State

I hope I've chosen the correct area to post this.

I've been looking around the Internet trying to see which state(s) are the most friendly towards conceal/open carry and handgun purchase. There are many variables to consider in order to make a decision. Each survey, poll, or article that I have found has only touched on this question. So I gave up on the scientific stuff, and figured I'd ask the folks who would know the most. I'm in Florida and the process of getting a CC permit is a pain in the *** but not when compared to the more oppressive states. Any responses will be entered into my prize of the month drawing which is held .....

Arizona hands down. Constitutional carry state and OC state. I got my permit in 4 days. No wait time for gun purchases. The list goes on and on Handgunlaw.us
    Beans likes this.

Yep - ditto the Arizona nod. My job brought me here, but wow - what a great place to live if you enjoy firearms. You don't need a permit, but it does open more doors to you and with a CCW your purchases are pre-approved - no NICS calls.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Arizona hands down. Constitutional carry state and OC state. I got my permit in 4 days. No wait time for gun purchases. The list goes on and on Handgunlaw.us
    Believe it or not,Vermont runs a close second, with Utah not far behind.

It would be hard to choose a state to live in based just on gun laws.
    Many states have laws that are kind to the pro-gun individual...some states are not so kind.
    Although FL does not allow OC, one can go pretty much anywhere while CC, and signs mean nothing.
    Although I do like FL, TX and OK are sounding pretty good...OK just started OC, by the way.

I don't see what is so difficult about getting a permit in FL though...a short class, fingerprints, and a picture.
    Go to a regional center and have your permit in 2 weeks. My renewal was 10 days door to door.

Each state has its pro's & con's.
    AZ sounds real good, but there seems to be more illegals than U.S. citizens in the state.

To each his own rational on benefits and drawbacks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most of them are in the west and not on the coast. AZ, NV, WY, UT all come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbly View Post
    Most of them are in the west and not on the coast. AZ, NV, WY, UT all come to mind.
    All states with open space were LEO is scarce and slow to show up in the event you need some help
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    All states with open space were LEO is scarce and slow to show up in the event you need some help
    +1

Another great state.... IDAHO.
    I got my CWL in 9 days from application (in early 2008).
    I can:
    Carry concealed with CWL, OC without.
    Without I can carry "in plain view" in vehicle.
    Bypass background check with CWL on gun purchases.

I think only more gun friendly states are those that do not even require a CWL. Then again, that only took 9 days.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

I'm very happy to be living in PA. No waiting period on handgun purchases and a carry permit took me less than 20 minutes from the time I parked my car to when I left the courthouse with my license in hand. Only downside for me is CCW reciprocity.
    hinkleid and PPKman like this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    You really need to define what characteristics you are looking at for "most friendly". A lot of states will be well rated in some categories, but terrible in others.
    Are you refering specifically to laws on the books, or the interpretation of laws, or how judiciously they are applied.
    Then there is the question of how accepted guns are by the populace, and how much the LEO know the laws, both of which will varry by location within the state.

All of that to say, it is very hard to generalize an entire state, and evaluating which is better will be completely subjective based on where you would live in the state, and which categories are most important to you.

One must that I would add to the list is state preemption, to prevent localities from enacting more restrictive laws that travelers might not be aware of (NY, Chicago, etc...)
    Walk softly ...

Michigan would be up there if we didnt need to get a purchase permit. CPL holders do not, but the rest do. There is a bill in our house that would abolish the purchase permit, so I guess will see.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Not a first tier state like Vermont or Arizona, Virginia is at the top of the second tier of gun-friendly states...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Not a first tier state like Vermont or Arizona, Virginia is at the top of the second tier of gun-friendly states...
    Where are they ranked? Do you have a website? That would be interesting.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Then there is the question of how accepted guns are by the populace, and how much the LEO know the laws, both of which will varry by location within the state.
    Again, goes to the west... ID, MT, WY (last of the 3 "still" western states). However, Californians moving in by the droves, and many trying their best to liberalize us.

It is not all too uncommon to see cowboys traveling on horseback along some country roads, impeding traffic OC'ing "Old school" with a 45 Colt SA Revolver and a rifle in scabbard. :)
    ericb327 and DMan like this.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links