College campus police profiling gun owners...

This is a discussion on College campus police profiling gun owners... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oldrwizr These are 18-YO kids, not seasoned thugs. Live and learn....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: College campus police profiling gun owners...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    These are 18-YO kids, not seasoned thugs.
    Live and learn.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How, precisely will you address the perfectly legal actions of the officer without calling unwanted attention to your otherwise-unnoticed son?
    Yeah good question...after sleeping on it. I'm not touching it at all. My people skills would get my son in trouble very likely.
    atctimmy likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Yeah good question...after sleeping on it. I'm not touching it at all. My people skills would get my son in trouble very likely.
    Good call! I tell my wife, "You'd better handle this unless you want to bail me out of jail."

VIP Member
    I would not bother talking to the campus police. Go straight to the top, either the Vice President of Academic affairs, or the campus Presidents office. Put the incident in writing, your impression of the events, and your concerns. Be respectful, but firm. Upset tuition paying parents get attention.

They just got their first lesson ...... the 5th Amendment and the Police State, all in one.

That's just purely out of line, in my opinion.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    At the point they asked if anyone hunted, etc., I'm wondering if they had a real choice. Never forget that the dynamic between police and civilian sits upon a slanted slope. In other threads, for example, we've already discussed how its okay for police to outright lie to you as a means and method to get you to confess or reveal some type of intel they are trying to retrieve. At the same time, however, you are legally obligated to tell the truth. You might have a right to refrain from speaking with the police but if you do, it had better be true. I suppose since you don't have to legally reveal info these students would be protected by not responding to the question if they do, for example, hunt and own a gun. I'm wondering if there would be consequences though if a student slipped up and verbally deny that he hunts and has a gun and it comes out later that he indeed does, etc.

It does sound like they are profiling but at the same time I don't feel like we have enough information to know beyond a doubt. It is odd at the very least.

Agreed, pretty odd. It was a lesson for my son too. He'll be studying criminal justice...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

The college is impressive, with a good reputation. They mostly all lean left imho, bothers me but so what.
    Academia, in general, is a liberal culture. It's driven by government grants.
    WilliamDahl likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Here is one dictionary definition of "indoctrination"
    indoctrination
    [in-dok-truh-ney-shuhn] Example Sentences
    in·doc·tri·na·tion
      [in-dok-truh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    the act of indoctrinating, or teaching or inculcating a doctrine, principle, or ideology, especially one with a specific point of view: religious indoctrination.

Indoctrination | Define Indoctrination at Dictionary.com

Note that "indoctrination" implies more than providing information, and is different from
    "orientation" which is what most schools call these sessions-- Freshman Orientation.

I'm sure the school didn't call the sessions "indoc;" that term came from the OP and it
    says something about how he views the situation, though I do understand his follow up
    comment and appreciate the clarification.
    I know a number of former military folks who refer to this sort of process as "indoc". I believe you are trying to attribute much more to the OP's use of the term than was meant.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I actually had a wonderful experience with a UNT police officer last week. I was there to sign up for fall classes and he pulled me over for doing 33 in a 20 zone. I handed him both ID's, he asked me if I had my weapon on me, I said yes and that it was in the door pocket and asked if he would like to hold on to it. He said that wont be necessary, and he checked to see if my info was correct on my DL and HL without even asking me for my insurance card. He then said to please pay attention to the speed limits on campus, directed me where to got to sign up and I was on my way in less than 5 minutes!! Going 13 over the limit should have been more than enough reason to write me a citation which I would have deserved.....

Is this a public or private university. Private police have more discretion than public university police. If you are dissatisfied than start with the chief of police and work your way up. Even letters to the alumni magazines can put pressure on the school.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Ram Rod,
    I'm planning on talking with the campus cop and address this. Just gotta be tactful, cuz I don't want to cause trouble for my son. He was not one of the students who raised their hands btw. He told me it was obvious where it was leading. Just think some kid who deer hunts or is a gun owner shouldn't be looked at as a potential threat...
    Everyone is a potential threat. The Aurora shooter had acquired his weapons legally and was a legal gun owner. It is the nature of things. A threatening person is one thing but a potentially threatening person with a firearm is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Everyone is a potential threat. The Aurora shooter had acquired his weapons legally and was a legal gun owner. It is the nature of things. A threatening person is one thing but a potentially threatening person with a firearm is worse.
    ...or a potentially threatening person with a car. Or a tongue.

If we start treating everybody as a potential threat, we're driving a dangerous road.

VIP Member
    I live about 10 feet from a college campus. Thinking of the PD on that campus doing that makes me smile. One of their Captains is my FFL guy. If I order a gun I pick it up in their PD office.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    At a college in the Northeast with a prominent CJ program, I'm going to believe this is in Boston! That's about as anti-gun turf as you will ever find in the US, more so than even the rest of the state (which is pretty terrible).

As an undergrad at Northeastern University, campus police did search student dorm rooms with no warrants. I know two students who this happened to by their own admission to me and eventually they were expelled from the college for what was found in their room. Personally I never lost any sleep over it, as they were nothing but trouble anyway. I'm not at all sure that even today (>40 years later) that campus police are legally prohibited from searching dorm rooms, just like public schools will search student lockers for contraband.

Only MIT has a gun range on campus and then there are very strict rules about guns on campus. Otherwise, guns can not be on any college campus (MA law) unless you get the college president (or his designee) to give you written permission (basically unheard of).

I also worked at a major ivy league Boston area college as an Aux. PO for a number of years in the 1980s and they actively prosecuted students with OC (also against state law w/o written permission from college and a gun permit from the state). This is much more recent info as I am good friends with their recently retired prosecutor and he proudly states that he has won numerous cases in court against students carrying OC!

Yes, I think that the campus police were creating a list of students to "keep an eye on" and that is not something that I would feel comfortable with!
    goldshellback likes this.
    NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links