Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty? - Page 3

Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty?

This is a discussion on Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Senator has been contacted. He is the author of the letter that was signed by 51 Senators that was sent to President Obama about ...

View Poll Results: Have you contacted your senators regard the UN Small Arms Treaty?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have contacted my Senators.

43 69.35%
  • No, I have not contacted my Senators.

10 16.13%
  • No need to our Constitution trumps all treaties.

9 14.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty?

My Senator has been contacted. He is the author of the letter that was signed by 51 Senators that was sent to President Obama about this.

Even if the Senate did vote to ratify this treaty (already a majority against it) it still would NOT matter. This issue is a 'sheep in wolf's clothing.' It is a phony get 'em in the tent' come on for demagogues and NRA recruiting. It has no chance of ever being ratified and EVEN IF IT WAS RATIFIED wouldn't mean anything regarding 2A.

Bingo!!! This trash has been all over the internet since 2009. The "gun rights" organizations jumped in because its a money maker for them. La Pierres salary is 1 million per annum. Those other office bound fat cats at the NRA cost a lot of bucks.

i've been an NRA member for over 50 years and have donated many thousands of my hard earned dollars to the NRA. Now the NRA wants me to drink their poisoned Kool Aide. Henceforth and hereafter the NRA will not get one red cent from me.

This has been debunked numerous times. The treaty, if it were adopted, would have no effect on our right to bear arms:

http://www.disarm.emb-japan.go.jp/st...t/N0958107.pdf

Acknowledging also the right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms
    and national ownership, including through national constitutional protections on
    private ownership, exclusively within their territory,
    The term "states" means UN member countries.

http://factcheck.org/2009/12/interna...un-ban-treaty/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/untreaty.asp

In Reid vs. Covert SCOTUS ruled a treaty cannot supercede the US Constitution.
    Sig35seven and BaconHunter like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    United Nations Official Document

This is the only language for the treaty so far. Goto page 16 Part B Record Keeping:

B. Record-keeping, reporting and transparency
    1. States Parties shall maintain records of all arms authorizations, transfers and
    denials. Such records may contain information, inter alia, on quantity, model or type,
    arms transfers authorized and refused, arms actually transferred, and details of transit
    State(s), recipient State(s) and end-users. Records shall be kept for a minimum of
    ten years.
    Records of end-users must be kept for 10 years. This sounds like registration to me.
    CIBMike likes this.

This is the only language for the treaty so far
    Yep, the quote is here too:

6. Recognizing further the sovereign right of States to determine any regulation
    of internal transfers of arms and national ownership exclusively within their
    territory, including through national constitutional protections on private ownership,
    The far outers always fail to tell us ignorant gunowners about the above.
    ericb327 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Your rep don't count anyway...just Senators
    He can still influence the vote by withholding funding for pet projects the Senator might want.

Michael

VIP Member
    Sadly not yet. Been very busy at work. I will get on it. I have to send to Ron Johnson who is great and to Herb Kohl who will be taking a nap and is worthless. Herb Hohl will send me a group email that explains something other than what I contacted him about ( like how windmills are great or time to order my bucks season tickets).

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    FYI...

The Obama administration has said it wonít support limits on the Second Amendment.

From Politifact...

"We found no evidence of Obama or Clinton indicating they want the UN conference on an arms trade treaty to ban the use of firearms; the recent speech by an administration underling states the government will not back a treaty that infringes on the Second Amendment. This claim runs so substantially counter to reality, itís ridiculous. Pants on Fire!"
    This statement in no way runs counter to reality, if in that reality the administration believes that the second amendment refers only to Government troops such as the National Guard. If that in that reality "shall not infringe" does not mean that 'reasonable' restrictions cannot be applied.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Yep, the quote is here too:

The far outers always fail to tell us ignorant gunowners about the above.
    So how do you reconcile the two quotes? They are both in the document. Which has more weight? I am not willing to trust the UN to do the right thing.

Also, I am against the treaty on the grounds of our national defense. If we decide it is in our counrty's interest to arm a group outisde of the US, we should not have to get approval from the UN.

Calling people that you disagree with names (far outers) is childish.

Calling people that you disagree with names (far outers) is childish.
    None of the so called "gun rights" organizations ever tell us this proposed treaty does not apply to guns in the hands of noncombatant civilians. They never mention the fact a treaty cannot not trump the US Constitution. They are lying through omission and pandering to those who have no idea how the US government works. Yep, they are far outers.
    ericb327 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    None of the so called "gun rights" organizations ever tell us this proposed treaty does not apply to guns in the hands of noncombatant civilians. They never mention the fact a treaty cannot not trump the US Constitution. They are lying through omission and pandering to those who have no idea how the US government works. Yep, they are far outers.
    Do you care to answer my question about the record keeping requirement? There are many politicians and judges who don't think registration would conflict with the constitution. The only document published has conflicting sections. How do you know which has more weight? The fact that the record keeping lsection is in the document tells me that it is a goal of at least some of the committee members.

The U.S. Government has been complying with the record keeping and registration requirements for years. Most people do not even realize that it has been going on. I have talked to many FFL's that honestly believe the Government has no registration database.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The U.S. Government has been complying with the record keeping and registration requirements for years. Most people do not even realize that it has been going on. I have talked to many FFL's that honestly believe the Government has no registration database.

Michael
    Current US law requires that the government not keep the records, only the FFL. I do not have any proof that the US government is keeping records. Do you have proof that the US government is keeping a registration?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Current US law requires that the government not keep the records, only the FFL. I do not have any proof that the US government is keeping records. Do you have proof that the US government is keeping a registration?
    Ask your friendly local FFL what the Government requires him to do with his records of gun sales when he goes out of business. Hint, he has to turn them over to the Feds. Its kind of the Governments back door way to bypass the laws against their keeping records of gun sales.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Ask your friendly local FFL what the Government requires him to do with his records of gun sales when he goes out of business. Hint, he has to turn them over to the Feds. Its kind of the Governments back door way to bypass the laws against their keeping records of gun sales.

Michael
    Do you have a reference for that...I am not good at hints. I thought you could enlighten us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links