Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty?

This is a discussion on Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Immediate effect or no effect it is probably best to oppose this changecan happen loop holes can be found ......spin carries weight these days....

View Poll Results: Have you contacted your senators regard the UN Small Arms Treaty?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have contacted my Senators.

43 69.35%
  • No, I have not contacted my Senators.

10 16.13%
  • No need to our Constitution trumps all treaties.

9 14.52%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Have you contacted your US Senators about the UN Small Arms Treaty?

Immediate effect or no effect it is probably best to oppose this changecan happen loop holes can be found ......spin carries weight these days.
    The easy way is always mined.

2. Remove Ads

One thing is certain, all this hoo-ha has people scrambling, and I hope this doesn't mean bare shelves at fun stores or increased prices again.

Somebody on Facebook seems to think if this passes, somebody named Pierre in a little blue helmet will come knocking on the door asking for your firearms. I'm going to agree with the person who said to wait and see what this involves first, and worry about upping the Lisinopril at that time.
    ericb327 likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is the reply I received from my Senator...

Dear Mr. Baumgardner,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office to share your concerns about the prospect of a conventional arms trade treaty. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Please know that the right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. I believe in safeguarding the rights of law-abiding American citizens. I will be a consistent voice for the Second Amendment, and I will fight attempts to weaken those rights that are granted in the Constitution.

As you may know, the U.N. passed a resolution stating intentions to begin negotiating an international agreement surrounding the import, export and transfer of conventional arms. These negotiations will conclude with the United Nations Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty in 2012.

At this time there is no treaty pending before the United States Senate as the negotiations are ongoing. That said, I will continue to closely monitor the negotiations over the next year, and I can assure you, I will not vote for a measure that infringes upon U.S. sovereignty or a person's right to keep and bear arms. For this reason, I along with several of my colleagues in the Senate, sent a letter to President Obama expressing strong support for the constitutional protections of civilian gun ownership, and stating intentions to oppose any treaty that is presented to the Senate which in any way restricts the rights of law-abiding citizens to manufacture, assemble, possess, transfer or purchase firearms and ammunition. In addition, you may be interested in the attached "Policy Points" document to learn more about the steps I have taken to protect our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me over the course of my term.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
    United States Senator

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Here is the reply from Kentucky Senator Rand Paul.

July 17, 2012

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.
    In 2009, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reversed the Bush Administration's stance and said the United States government would be open to talks regarding a United Nations (UN) Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). UN delegates have been pushing for international standards to control the import, export and transfer of conventional weapons, including small arms such as handguns and rifles, for many years. ATT has the possibility of threatening regulations on private firearms ownership within the United States.
    In February 2012, UN delegates completed their final round of preparation talks to discuss how the negations of ATT will take place before talks begin in July 2012.
    There are many in Washington who give lip service to the Second Amendment, but vote to restrict gun ownership once they begin serving in public office. Gun control laws only restrict access to responsible gun ownership. I remain opposed to this and to any other gun control laws. I stand fully behind the Second Amendment and our national sovereignty.
    Though there are no guarantees President Obama will sign any potential ATT, but should ATT come before the Senate for ratification I will vote against it.
    In hopes of preventing the U.S. from participating in the negotiations, Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) introduced, and I cosponsored, the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012 (S. 2205). This legislation would prohibit funding from the United States to be used in any connection with the negotiation of ATT.
    S. 2205 has been referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which I am not a member, where it awaits further consideration.

Sincerely,

Rand Paul, MD
    United States Senator
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links