Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr LaPierre Speaking For Us

4K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
Try to find the facts, hyperbole, innuendos in the following extract from the latest NRA email I got though I am not a member anymore!

I left out the parts where if I do not give them more money I will be a subject to the UN.

Again, I am always concerned about things. But this fear mongering type of emails are what drove me away from the NRA as a member.
Yesterday I went to New York to testify before the United Nations to stop the Arms Trade Treaty...a treaty that could ban every rifle, pistol and shotgun you own...a treaty that could turn our God-given Right to Keep and Bear Arms into a U.N.-regulated privilege...

...A treaty that has the full support of President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who are eager to COOPERATE with the U.N.

With the stroke of a pen, Obama invited Syria, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and the world's worst tyrants and dictators to rewrite our Constitution and lay waste to the Second Amendment.
Mr LaPierre says time is running out becasue the vote on the treaty at the UN is on 27 July. Anybody know if that is true? I honestly could not find it. Anyway, it does not matter when the UN votes on the language. It is when the US ratifies it then it may affect us.

Point of all this is I just want the fact, not the fear mongering.

Reactions: ericb327
#2 ·
Alot of different opinions on this UN thing, but my thoughts on the NRA are that yeah, they may do a little fear mongering, but they have always been there for us since I can remember. The people that supported them, such as my grandfather, and others like them, with their hard earned dollars are the reason this forum is possible today and the reason we have not only held ground but advanced even after assault after assault on our rights.

I remember the " fear mongering" they did before Clinton passed the Brady Bill. They turned out to be right.

So, while I may not agree with every policy or everything they do or the way they go about it, I understand that the people in this country are complacent, lazy, and have no resolve, so maybe it takes a little " fear mongering" to get people off their lazy asses and heed the call to battle.

It takes big money to be the spear head in these types of fights, and who ever brings the biggest guns wins the battle. And that means attorneys, and fees.

So I'd say send them a check, and at least know you helped our most powerful organization do what they have been doing for a long time. Protect our rights.
We owe at least that much to the great people before us that did the same.

#4 ·
I too think glockman stated it pretty well. For me it's just a matter of using a little fear mongering to battle the fear mongering from the other side of the fence. We seem to have lost track of the concept of moderation, everything has to be extreme these days. Just my .02.

#35 ·
If it would get ratified, that would open the door for "UN Inspections" for compliance. Does that sound familiar to anybody??? Sounds like what WE did in Iraq and look what happened...

Here is a quote from the Iraqi Constitution:
"Article 13:

First: This constitution is the sublime and supreme law in Iraq and shall be binding in all parts of Iraq without exception. "

Here is a link to the Iraqi Constution, printed in full:
Full Text of Iraqi Constitution

#6 ·
Fear Mongering.

A word that some people use to covince themselves that anything said about a particular subject is not true because it makes them uncomfortable when they think about what is being said.

They dont like what is being printed so they automatically discount it all, facts included.

In todays over stimulated,it everybodys fault but mine, you owe me, generation, feasr mongering is used as a tool to wake otherwise brain dead people up.
In some cases it works, in others it does not.
Others say..." its fear mongering, so its all false", choosing to remain ignorant of the facts.

So be it.

When our grandkids do not enjoy the freedoms and libertys that we did as kids growing up, one can that it was just all fear mongering and go on about their merry ways in an ignorant state of bliss like the other 80% of the population. Then they wont have to worry about such things.

#7 ·
How about this definition:
Fear Mongering: used to convince lazy or ignorant minds to convince them the worst of something is about to befall them. Since they assume nobody has the brains to actually look up the facts they will exagerate any facts to lean their wasy or make worst case positions without facts but making it appear that the end result is exactly what they say.

You tell me what in MR LaPierre's latest email is actually a fact or what he is trying to make folks afraid of? I expect more of an organization that wants my money to treat me as a mindless idiot who will not question what they say.

I never have said everything the NRA says is wrong. I do not like the delivery. So DO not make it look like I have blinders on. I do not. But using ones brain is fun sometimes instead of following MR. LaPierre's warnings.

And like I posted before....he will get folks wound up aboout something and when it does not happen he throws his cape on and claims if it was not for all the donations they got thinggs woould have turned out different. Pleezzz. Folks on this forum have brains..they do not need somebody crying the sky is falling every two seconds and if it is going to fall just please GIVE ME THE FACTS! ONLY THE FACTS! AND NOTHING BUT THE FACTS. It ain't so hard......

#8 ·
With the stroke of a pen, Obama invited Syria, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and the world's worst tyrants and dictators to rewrite our Constitution and lay waste to the Second Amendment.
That's just funny right there. Cuba! Cuba is one of the countries demanding that the treaty not interfere with the transfer of weapons inside a country. Wayne and Raul Castro singing the same tune. Who'da thought?

ETA: Oh yeah, Hugo Chavez is right on board with them!

#9 ·
I agree with Suntzu. No way, no how is the UN going to supersede our constitution especially when the Senate would have to ratify any treaty. Mr LaPierre wants those dues to keep coming in so that there is enough money to pay his outrageous salary and finance his African safaris. His fearmomgering and hyperbole do not serve the gun owners--only the antis who try to paint gun owners as out-of-touch, unreasonable and unbalanced.

#10 ·
Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder about the NRA's motives... Click here to email your senator, oh and by the way - before we take you there why don't you donate $100 so we can save you from the evils of this world today!

Not really sure he's speaking in my behalf with some of the letters/emails I've been reading.

But... I bought a Taurus so this year's membership was on them. :)

#11 ·
What the NRA says dosent concern me as much as what our 545 elected officials in the Government do.

Based on the record of their past practices in the last few years, that worrys me.
Do I trust them to do the right thing?
No.

Everyone here is banking on the fact that the 100 members of the Senate still care enough of this country to pay attention. The same senate that had Madame Pelosi admit that she did not know what was in the health care bill, that we could to read it about it after it passed.

And if the treaty is signed and the Senate does ratify it? Then what?

#13 ·
What the NRA says dosent concern me as much as what our 545 elected officials in the Government do.

Based on the record of their past practices in the last few years, that worrys me.
Do I trust them to do the right thing?
No.

Everyone here is banking on the fact that the 100 members of the Senate still care enough of this country to pay attention. The same senate that had Madame Pelosi admit that she did not know what was in the health care bill, that we could to read it about it after it passed.

And if the treaty is signed and the Senate does ratify it? Then what?
In Bold: That we can agree on 100 percent! The other part....I do not see how they will get 2/3rd to vote for it if it WILL affect gun ownership as we know it. Though I do not trust our politicians I do not see them losing a huge voting block on this issue.

#15 ·
I will stand with the NRA now. The congress only listens to two things. Money, and a special interest group that convinces them that their political lives are at stake if they vote the wrong way. It takes financial support to do this.

And in case some don't get it, they send out a blanket letter to everyone. Sure, you may not need, desire that approach, but others may. The letters are designed to work the masses.

So for those of you that have your heads up your butts on this issue, take a good whiff, and get used to the smell, cause it will get alot worse if we lose this one.

My checks in the mail.

#23 ·
I will stand with the NRA now. The congress only listens to two things. Money, and a special interest group that convinces them that their political lives are at stake if they vote the wrong way. It takes financial support to do this.
I agree with this. I do believe that the UN treaty is way overblown and wish that the NRA would focus on more important (to me) issues, but it takes money and fear to distract our corrupt politicians from lining their own (and their masters) pockets. The NRA mainly still represents individual gun owners and while I don't agree with all that they have to say our even the politicians that they support I do thank them for fighting for the Second Admendment

#20 ·
I will not surrender the tactical advantage to those who would usurp my right to keep and bear arms. Period. Anyone who believes the current president would not attempt to implement this treaty via executive order or BATFE regulations has not been paying attention! We must do all we can to nip this in the bud before it affects each and every one of us!

#21 ·
Personally, I don't get scared by what people say. It's my views regarding what they're talking about that concerns me after adding up whatever facts make sense using logic, history and reputation of the involved . So using logic, history and those involved with the amount of power they hold, this one has the potential to scare the hell out of me. Notice I say potential. But I still have a right to be concerned. I think everyone ought to be concerned at least a little if they give a rip. But I was concerned before I ever heard anything at all from the NRA.

#24 ·
NRA:smile:

I join them 1 year at a time. I think they overstate some of the issues at times. These are some crazy times. They need the money to keep up with the liberals and special interest groups. They counter many issues for us. Protect us maybe. I think the left is worried about them and thats fine with me.

Plus I have to join for my competitions and they send me a little card in the mail that says I'm an expert. I get to paw thru the Rifleman magazine once a month. Sometimes I get a free hat made in china.:confused:

#25 ·
Keep in mind that fear is a very powerful tool. It has been used effectively to achieve various goals for centuries..... However on the scale of its use for good or bad.... bad has won out more often than for good..... Just saying is all......

Reactions: ericb327
#26 ·
I seem to recall reading yesterday or today that 60 Senators have flat out said they would not ratify this treaty.

The question is How many of those U.S. Senators would absolutely not ratify the treaty because they do not want the big hammer of the NRA (and its huge voting member base) coming down on their heads and ending their chances for winning their next election?

Just a random thought that I had.

#27 ·
atctimmy is a NRA life member. I guess that tells you where I stand.

As a shout out to Suntzu I will say that the fear mongering gets to me as well but IMO it's the least of my problems. I think they do a ton of good.

#28 ·
Yep I agree with earlier posts and continue to support the NRA. I don't know what issues some of you think they should focus on that they aren't already??? Fast and Furious? National Reciprocity? Sure the NRA may be playing this up, just like the antis go crazy screaming for full gun control every time some wacko kills a bunch of people. For $25 a year, I get an organization that does their very best to make sure I can always go to sleep soundly with my XD next to me on my night stand. That's a deal.

#30 ·
It's definitely on my radar screen.

For the first time... as far as I know, we have a presidential administration who is willing to sign on to it. Both Obama, and Secretary of State Hillary are on board as to signing on with the treaty. There are a lot of supporters in congress as well.

Do we have the votes in congress not to ratify it? I think so, but it's too close for comfort for my likes. There are just too many untrustworthy members in congress to rely on them to do the right thing.

I'm not in a panic, but it has my attention and I will be contacting my members of congress.

#32 ·
In court attorneys routinely throw out statements that are disallowed. They do so knowing that once said, the damage is done and can't really be undone despite the judge's admonition. In today's soundbite world, the Left routinely throws out statements, that although patently false, that are taken as fact and disseminated throughout the media. The lazy or pressed for time crowd takes such statements as gospel. Should the NRA be prohibited from such tactics when fighting for established 2a rights?

It seems to me that when presented with several potential bad situations it can be difficult to tell exactly which one will flare up and require immediate attention. I have been burned enough by our elected officials to be forever wary. Does the NRA engage in hyperbole? I would say absolutely but I like to think they do so for a legitimate reason: as a preemptive strike on potentail threat that may gain traction with sympathetic parties.

#36 ·
How about this definition:
Fear Mongering: used to convince lazy or ignorant minds to convince them the worst of something is about to befall them. Since they assume nobody has the brains to actually look up the facts they will exagerate any facts to lean their wasy or make worst case positions without facts but making it appear that the end result is exactly what they say.
This!!

i've been an NRA member for over 50 years. i have donated tens of thousands of dollars to the NRA: But no more.

This is fear mongering trash. LaPierre refused to prod the Republicans when they ran the entire legislative and executive branches. LaPierre could have insisted the Republicans roll back the more onerous provisions of the NFA, the GCA 1968 and the Lautenberg amendment: Instead he chose to do nothing. LaPierre refused to censor John McCain when he proposed draconian anti-gun legislation to close the nonexistent "gunshow loophole".

Now LaPierre is lying, distorting the facts and pandering to the uninformed who are incapable of discovering the truth for themselves. Its all about the money.

#41 ·
SunTzu; The Art of War

You believe in this enough to choose it for a screen name? His take on it is very interesting when he said; to win without physical confrontation early in the conflict when there is nothing lost, is the greater victory.

Interesting perspective here.

Reactions: phreddy
#42 ·
Is that a subtle attempt at an insult? I would have thought you better than that. Have you read the Art of War or are you like many folks that google a cool quote? You really do get the big point I am making. The NRA treats you and me like idiots by not giving us the facts and just the facts. If you think that is cool keep dumping your money on them. I have not said that I would not donate to the NRA. (If I have said otherwise it was a poor choice of words) I said I would not be a member. I will pick and choose.

Back to your post:You are saying one has to believe 100 percent of everything and how it applies to 100 percent of everything to have a screen name?

#44 ·
You have obviously not read what I have written or you think I do not know what good the NRA does......read again: I will donate on a case by case basis....sorry if I am not a lemming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.