Re: Aurora Incident - Online ammunition sales will be targeted next

This is a discussion on Re: Aurora Incident - Online ammunition sales will be targeted next within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope it's not too soon to talk about this, but I'm starting to see increasing mentions on the news of how much ammunition this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sig 210
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Re: Aurora Incident - Online ammunition sales will be targeted next

Re: Aurora Incident - Online ammunition sales will be targeted next

I hope it's not too soon to talk about this, but I'm starting to see increasing mentions on the news of how much ammunition this psycho purchased online. A sudden nationwide ban on gun sales would not be feasible (yet), but I can definitely foresee legislators targeting online ammo sales. They will either want to ban online ammo sales outright or add layers of complexity to making purchases. And if they are not already tracking ammo sales nationwide, they soon will be.

Plus, recent history shows that politicians do not like the internet. Between SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and demanding taxes from online retailers, this would be just the latest step "forward" into the digital age for our dear leaders.

I hope I'm wrong... but I doubt it.

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure somebody will think like that. If it's not the guns it must be the bullets.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I just read the shooter had stockpiled 6000 rounds of ammo that was bought online. Oh boy! Can anyone else see some lib trying to stop online sales now?

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I just read the shooter had stockpiled 6000 rounds of ammo that was bought online. Oh boy! Can anyone else see some lib trying to stop online sales now?
    That fact has been widely reported on all of the network news shows on TV and cable. I see it as an easy target for the anti's. After all who 'needs' 6000 rounds of ammo. A couple years back OSHA tried to implement new safety rules on shipping explosives using private carriers. Luckily a huge letter writing campaign prevented this from going into effect. If I recall correctly it came within sixty days of being implemented. Thus having the effect of law. This would have killed the black powder sport.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    That fact has been widely reported on all of the network news shows on TV and cable. I see it as an easy target for the anti's. After all who 'needs' 6000 rounds of ammo. A couple years back OSHA tried to implement new safety rules on shipping explosives using private carriers. Luckily a huge letter writing campaign prevented this from going into effect. If I recall correctly it came within sixty days of being implemented. Thus having the effect of law. This would have killed the black powder sport.

Michael
    Considering the many guns I own and in many different calibers, and count everything as a whole I have close to 5000 rounds. Not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Considering the many guns I own and in many different calibers, and count everything as a whole I have close to 5000 rounds. Not hard.
    I exceed that number as I tend to stock up during my non shooting times by either reloading or purchasing good buys in bulk. I shoot them up then start all over again. I won't mention the black powder I have on hand.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I exceed that number as I tend to stock up during my non shooting times by either reloading or purchasing good buys in bulk. I shoot them up then start all over again. I won't mention the black powder I have on hand.

Michael
    I'm with you and agree, someone will start screaming just that! WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH, It's hard to pass up a good bulk deal. Granted most mine is range ammo but I go though it pretty fast, hitting the range every week with an average of 200 rounds each trip. So my online ammo buys are my best value for me since I dont reload.
    It's unfortunate the goofs like the Aurora shooter causes the folks like Bloomberg to start screaming for more gun control.
    And it seems to me the media is really focusing in on all the online sales.

The media will pick at whatever scab they run their finger across. Hype, sensationalism, more viewers, higher ratings, the more they can charge for advertising. They are slaves to the money.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I might have 6,000 rounds of just .22. I got looks from all of the fudds at the state range when I showed up with my AR, four mags and a 1000 round spam can a few days ago.

If nothing happened when Gabby Giffords got shot, nothing will happen now.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, I think that is just fearful thinking. Gun sales have never been higher, I would bet ammo is the same, after all thats what the guns run on .

The cries for gun control and such will die off soon enough. Its just media hype right now I believe. They'll be onto something else by the end of next week.

How many people still avoid BP gas? Ya, remember the fuel spill in the ocean?
    See, people forget and move on to the next latest thing.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

IMO: There is little chance of federal regulation of online ammunition sales. Look for more states to outlaw the purchase of ammunition online. For years online ammo retailers have been targeted by the AG of MA.

http://www.handgunclub.com/hca/?p=1281
    GoodCitizen likes this.

VIP Member
    6000 rounds is no big deal. SIXTO has more than that in his bug out bag!

Seriously though, the press will jump on anything that gets their ratings up, and the anti's will grasp at any straw to push their agenda.
    GoodCitizen likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links