Bullet/talking points for discussions with anti-gunners
This is a discussion on Bullet/talking points for discussions with anti-gunners within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there a resource available that will provide bullet/talking points for a discussion with anti-gunners?
It would be nice to have a verifiable resource that ...
Post By Crowman
July 21st, 2012 11:22 PM
Bullet/talking points for discussions with anti-gunners
Is there a resource available that will provide bullet/talking points for a discussion with anti-gunners?
It would be nice to have a verifiable resource that would allow the point to be proven that an armed populace is a safer populace.
Anyone have a resource or care to help put something together?
I realize that in most cases it's senseless to argue with the bozos but it would be good to have something when discussing this with people that might be on the fence or have a less closed mind.
July 21st, 2012 11:40 PM
do a search for gunfacts 6.0 pdf - mythbusting with citations - unfortunately, anti-gunners will summarily dismiss all evidence that contradicts their ignorance.
July 22nd, 2012 12:53 AM
The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.
I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.
July 22nd, 2012 04:11 AM
Found on another forum
1. Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, Detroit & Chicago cops need guns.
2. Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is due to strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9 per 100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.
3. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are "just statistics."
4. The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which went into effect in 1994 are responsible for the decrease in violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.
5. We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.
6. The more helpless you are the safer you are from criminals.
7. An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.
8. A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.
9. When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense - give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981, p. 125).
10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
11. One should consult an automotive engineer for safer seat belts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for internal medicine, a computer programmer for hard drive problems, and Sarah Brady for firearms expertise.
12. The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917.
13. The National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal land, using federally-owned weapons, vehicles, buildings and uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "state" militia.
14. These phrases: "right of the people peaceably to assemble," "right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumerations herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the people," and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people" all refer to individuals, but "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" refers to the state.
15. "The Constitution is strong and will never change." But we should ban and seize all guns thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments to that Constitution.
16. Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense! Of course, the army has hundreds of thousands of them.
17. Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they aren't "military weapons'', but private citizens shouldn't have "assault rifles'', because they are military weapons.
18. In spite of waiting periods, background checks, fingerprinting, government forms, etc., guns today are too readily available, which is responsible for recent school shootings. In the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's, anyone could buy guns at hardware stores, army surplus stores, gas stations, variety stores, Sears mail order, no waiting, no background check, no fingerprints, no government forms and there were no school shootings.
19. The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about kids handling guns is propaganda, but the anti-gun lobby's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social activity.
20. Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.
21. A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that only has 20.
22. Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their fears."
23. Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into slaughtering butchers but revert to normal when the weapon is removed.
24. Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass killings at gun shows.
25. A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.
26. Any self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered to be a "weapon of mass destruction" or an "assault weapon."
27. Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws against guns, which most people will abide by because they can be trusted.
28. The right of Internet pornographers to exist cannot be questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of Rights, but the use of handguns for self defense is not really protected by the Bill of Rights.
29. Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters, computers, and typewriters, but self- defense only justifies bare hands.
30. The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends certain parts of the Constitution, and the NRA is bad, because it defends other parts of the Constitution.
31. Charlton Heston, a movie actor as president of the NRA is a cheap lunatic who should be ignored, but Michael Douglas, a movie actor as a representative of Handgun Control, Inc. is an ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN arms control summit.
32. Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they need larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who must face criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.
33. We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other inexpensive guns because it's not fair that poor people have access to guns too.
34. Police officers have some special Jedi-like mastery over handguns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.
35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self- protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.
36. Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection but police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a building filled with cops, need a gun.
37. "Assault weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large numbers of people. The police need assault weapons. You do not.
38. When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal government pressures cities to buy guns only from Smith & Wesson, that's good.
39. Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with one on their duty weapon.
40. Handgun Control, Inc., says they want to "keep guns out of the wrong hands." Guess what? You have the wrong hands.
"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
--Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney
Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791
and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."
July 22nd, 2012 07:24 AM
Perhaps not relevant to the OP's question, but this is not the first (or second or third) time I've seen Detroit listed when people are referencing banned guns... Am I missing something here? Detroit does not currently have any gun ban that I am aware of. Did they skip something major in my CPL class and just forget to mention it, or is this just something from the past?
Originally Posted by Crowman
July 22nd, 2012 10:37 AM
My question is why waste your breath arguing with a closed minded idiot? Your not going to win, and your not going to change their mind.
Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.
NRA Life Member
July 22nd, 2012 10:50 AM
I find I'm more concerned with the relatively neutral onlookers of such discussions. The moron spouting off the gun control lines probably can't be convinced, but their nonsense should not go unanswered lest someone else find them persuasive for some reason...
Originally Posted by archer51
July 23rd, 2012 06:33 PM
This is exactly my reason - I won't convince the ardent anti-gunner, their mind is closed. But in reading the discussion, I may be able to convince someone on the fence.
Originally Posted by peckman28
July 23rd, 2012 06:37 PM
I found gun facts after I posted this. Great info! Thanks all!
July 23rd, 2012 06:46 PM
Now that post (talking about all 40 of them) was great. I'll have to make sure that makes it to my Facebook page.
Originally Posted by Crowman
EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
Member - SAF, OFF,
NRA Life Member
July 23rd, 2012 07:02 PM
I don't waste my time talking to anti-gunners, would rather reload ammo instead. Atleast I'm getting something done.
Search tags for this page
2nd amendment talking points
amendment 4 bullet points
anti gun control points bullet points
anti gun control talking points
bullet points gun control
bulleted talking points
good talking points against anti gunners
gun control second amendment talking points
gun crime rate post banning
second amendment talking points
talking points anti gun control
Click on a term to search for related topics.