US Ambassador to UK on our gun laws

This is a discussion on US Ambassador to UK on our gun laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BBC News - US gun laws 'could be improved' ** US gun laws 'could be improved' [video] 22 July 2012 Last updated at 06:01 ET ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 1 Post By zacii
  • 4 Post By HotGuns
  • 5 Post By BugDude
  • 3 Post By Happypuppy

Thread: US Ambassador to UK on our gun laws

VIP Member

Thumbs down US Ambassador to UK on our gun laws

BBC News - US gun laws 'could be improved'

US gun laws 'could be improved'

[video]

22 July 2012 Last updated at 06:01 ET

The American Ambassador to the UK says his country's gun laws "could be improved" in the wake of the cinema shooting in Denver.

Speaking on the Andrew Marr Show, Ambassador Louis Susman also said that he is "sure" the issue of gun control will rise up the agenda in the US election campaign.

SNIP

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    He is a long-time Democratic fundraiser, and a political appointee of Obama's (as opposed to being a career Foreign Service Officer). I really can't say I'm at all surprised by his comments.
    atctimmy likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

And just why is he apologizing to the UK? It's none of their business

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    DaveH likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I didn't read the article, so I'm just taking the quote as it stands. Of course our gun laws can be improved.

Senior Moderator
    Of course they can be improved, by scrapping all of them.

Lets give the advantage back to the armed citizen and do what we can to make it a no win proposition to be a crook. That would be an improvement.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The last time England tried to tell us what laws to have and how to run our country, we took up our guns and ran them back across the ocean. You would think they would have learned by now.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    The man is an idiot. His statement that he saw no reason for someone having a AK47 show his true colors as well as his stupidity. The shooter did not have an AK47 with him, and I have seen nothing that said he even owned a AK47. He had a AR15. There is a BIG difference in the 2 guns. Of course, why would I even bother to think an anti would worry about a little thing like facts?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When England feared Nazi invasion during WWII they begged citizens Of the USA to send them shotguns , rifles and pistols http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/650257/posts

How quickly some forget
    BugDude, msgt/ret and DaveH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The man is an idiot. His statement that he saw no reason for someone having a AK47 show his true colors as well as his stupidity. The shooter did not have an AK47 with him, and I have seen nothing that said he even owned a AK47. He had a AR15. There is a BIG difference in the 2 guns. Of course, why would I even bother to think an anti would worry about a little thing like facts?
    I saw an article today in which the writer had no clue what he was talking about. He said the following:

"The alleged Colorado gunman legally purchased four guns, including a military-style assault rifle and a special magazine that meant he could fire off 50 to 60 deadly bullets a minute.

Over eight weeks he stocked up over the Internet on 6,300 rounds of ammunition: 3,000 for his .233 semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, another 3,000 for his two .22 Glocks, and 300 cartridges for his pump-action shotgun.

When the gun dealers performed the minimal background checks required under Colorado law, no alarm bells went off because all 24-year-old James Holmes had against his name was a speeding ticket, officials said."

The reference to special magazine and rate of fire is confusing. The last time I checked, the rate of fire was dictated by how fast one could pull the trigger and not really the magazine. And he refers to the as deadly bullets....are there any other kind??? Did the special magazine make them more deadly?

The worst part is his reference to the pistols as "his two .22 Glocks." He has no idea that a Glock 22 and Glock 23 are model numbers and not caliber. As I recall, they were both .40 caliber pistols.

He also talks about Colorado's "minimal background checks." OK, exactly what other background check will turn up an alarm bell on a person that has a clean background? Only a speeding ticket. I'm not sure what magical background check is going to turn up what a person will do in the future when they've done nothing in their past.

There is no such thing as responsibility or accountability in the media. They show their ignorance and don't even realize it.

And, unless a typo, would it not be .223 instead of .233?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

It was copied and pasted straight from the article...I didn't even catch that one.

Links