When should we have a gun-control debate?

This is a discussion on When should we have a gun-control debate? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When should we have a gun-control debate? « Hot Air "To get back to my original question, when is a good time to have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: When should we have a gun-control debate?

VIP Member

When should we have a gun-control debate?

When should we have a gun-control debate? « Hot Air

"To get back to my original question, when is a good time to have a gun-control debate? My answer in The Week is that gun-rights activists are ready to have that debate, as long as people get their facts straight, which clearly hasn’t been the case in the last several days, starting with Brian Ross at ABC. However, we’ve been having this debate for decades, and the facts show that gun control doesn’t work, and providing for individual rights doesn’t increase crime..."

This is a great article on why the gun control debate may have already been won by those in favor of gun rights.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post

"To get back to my original question, when is a good time to have a gun-control debate? My answer in The Week is that gun-rights activists are ready to have that debate, as long as people get their facts straight, which clearly hasn’t been the case in the last several days, starting with Brian Ross at ABC. However, we’ve been having this debate for decades, and the facts show that gun control doesn’t work, and providing for individual rights doesn’t increase crime..."

This is a great article on why the gun control debate may have already been won by those in favor of gun rights.
    We can have a debate whenever you'd like. Just let us know :)

You have to remember that in a debate on gun control the pro gun side can never win. At best they can retain what they have but they can never gain. The anti's cannot lose. At the worst they make no gains but they never give up anything.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; July 25th, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie
    Spidey2011 and Yankeejib like this.

Nice find, good read. Thanks for that post. All I have seen is anti anti anti gun articles in the wake of this Colorado incident.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Nice find, good read. Thanks for that post. All I have seen is anti anti anti gun articles in the wake of this Colorado incident.
    Yup.... They're happy to use anything they can against the law abiding citizens...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Wow, good read. I agree with most of that.
    It seems refusing to be a victim is a good thing. I wonder how [ I'm sure it's published somewhere] the idiots in Ill./Chi-town explain that crap away.[ shootings/murders]

Debate all they want.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

VIP Member
    Didn't know we needed one.

Far as I'm concerned, it ain't up for debate, and it never should have.
    When you debate something you automatically acquiesce to the other party, because you acknowlege their argument is worth adressing.
    Spidey2011 and 1911srule like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The only way to win for us on gun control. Is for the general public to finally wake up. Realize that the world is not fluffy bunnies puppies and kittens, That there are real threats out there that aim only to harm them and their loved ones, and make the conscious decision to stand up, arm themselves and say NO to crime. When that happens pro-gunners will outnumber the anti's 10 to 1.....i've been watching some anti's convert to pro after the latest tragedy in CO gun sales are up, CCW permit applications are up........people are getting up and putting their foot down. We can win the gun control issues. The world just needs to stop living a fantasy for it to happen. Once they realize it is a dangerous place they are quick to hop onboard the "save your own life if your not stupid" wagon.

Sadly it takes things like CO for people to snap to.....wish that they would just stop dreaming and do it without terrible things happening first to ignite the spark.
    accessbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    You have to remember that in a debate on gun control the pro gun side can never win. At best they can retain what they have but they can never gain. The anti's cannot lose. At the worst they make no gains but they never give up anything.

Michael
    I don't agree with you. CCWs almost didn't exist in the 1980s. Look where we are today. Look at Heller, Mcdonald, the appeal in Maryland that said may issue was arbitrary and should be thrown out. We have made progresss.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Wow, good read. I agree with most of that.
    It seems refusing to be a victim is a good thing. I wonder how [ I'm sure it's published somewhere] the idiots in Ill./Chi-town explain that crap away.[ shootings/murders]
    Shootings in Chicago? How? With what guns?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    I don't agree with you. CCWs almost didn't exist in the 1980s. Look where we are today. Look at Heller, Mcdonald, the appeal in Maryland that said may issue was arbitrary and should be thrown out. We have made progresss.
    You simply got back something that had been previously taken from you. You have gained nothing.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I heard today on the radio that there is currently a dramatic increase in gun sales in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I heard today on the radio that there is currently a dramatic increase in gun sales in Colorado.
    - Maybe, people have come to the realization that banning something or making something illegal won't magically make the problem go away. Maybe, they realize that when it comes down to it, they're responsible for their own protection. Maybe, I'm hoping for too much...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post

This "debate" occurred over 230 years ago when the Constitution was written. All we need do now is defend our rights from the traitors that would take them from us.
    Hoganbeg and 1911srule like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links