Obama calls for measures against gun violence. - Page 2

Obama calls for measures against gun violence.

This is a discussion on Obama calls for measures against gun violence. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There needs to be an iPhone and Android app for this. :) Originally Posted by pgrass101 I am willing to let this one stand if ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Obama calls for measures against gun violence.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    There needs to be an iPhone and Android app for this. :)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am willing to let this one stand if we keep politics out of it and talk strictly gun control.

I do think that there will be a push for all gun sales to require a background check, including private sales. I don't know how thsi can be accomplished without gun registration.

Well they have been saying over and over Obama is not out to restrict your rights. Many of us have disagreed and been shut down.
    Well his own words are clear and they are right in line with the step by step tighten up until We are Are like Chicago.
    Obama calls for strengthening gun rules, Reid says no time for debate | Fox News

If we could somehow manage to keep so much as spitball straws out of the hands of lunatics I'd be all for it. The problem is in the execution. (Database of anybody on psycho meds? IDK) But I'll leave it to you guys to fuss and fret over having basic gun rights (CCW, Castle Doctrine, hunting, etc) taken away, which isn't going to happen. But don't let me get in your way -- fret on.

What I want to hear is a politician clearly "call for measures against violence"...WITHOUT the word "gun" in the sentence! It's like whipping-up the emotions of the populace by saying we need to "call for measures against TRAIN accidents". What about car, truck, bus & airplane accidents? Are they okay with everyone? The guns aren't causing the violence. Guns are simply the most effective way for NONviolent individuals to protect themselves against that segment of the population who will use any tool at their disposal (bats, knives, folding chairs & garden rakes) to perpetrate thuggery against their victims. I'll take it one step further, I call for measures against tyranny. Because history teaches us one irrefutable lesson - When Guns Go...Tyranny GROWS! Every single time.
    beararms and Spirit51 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    I just got back from picking up my uniforms at my mothers laundrymat and she has the TVs tuned to all the major media outlets. Without putting all my personal life out here, shes a major bandwagoner whos never had an original thought for as long as Ive known. Not to mention shes always looking for free handouts in life. Though I cant speak, she does my laundry for free lol. So she starts preaching that we need to ban automatic rifles and pump action shotguns and have tougher background checks. Oh and she said we shouldnt buy ammo online. When I told her you can buy it at WalMart and there is no background check for ammo she replied with, I didnt know that.

I asked her why and she had nothing else to say. Then I threw in my .02 and she just lit up a ciggarette and stared across the street.

I have nothinf against people having an opinion that differs from mine. Freedom of speech is one of thoes great things about this country. But why is it thoes who want to take our rights have no problem exercising theirs, especialy without cause or reason?
    Unfortunately that's the way that people vote too. Just feel good stuff even if it means not thinking of what freedoms may be lost or giving any thought to history or how things have worked in other countries as a whole. Even though some mean well, it's the bigger picture that is missed.

I asked her why and she had nothing else to say
    That's because the realistic answer to this is, that it just makes her feel better. Nothing against your mom though. I'm sure she really does mean well.

As far as the link in the OP, that last paragraph actually sounds reasonable if "common sense" is actually common sense and not just feel good regulations against 2A. The focus should be on the criminal and mentally ill and their access to firearms, not mass oppression. And taken at face value, the last paragraph in the article actually seems to be a bit more reasonable than usual as it doesn't just attack 2A. It actually has some focus on violence in general which IS the problem. But when it's all said and done, I hope that 2A doesn't pay because that last paragraph could just be a "feel good" paragraph too. Man I hope people stand up and vote for the big picture this time! I'm afraid of what will happen if we don't.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I agree that nothing will happen before the election, but I also agree with the President that AK-47s and the like serve no useful purpose in civilian hands. Yes, I know that some people like shooting them, but just because we like doing something does not mean it should be legal. I like driving 100mph in my car, but I do comprehend why it is not legal to do so--at least in VA. One has to balance the risks with the gain. To me it's like yelling "Fire!!!" in a crowded theater; not covered by freedom of speech. AK-47s, AR-15s and 100 round magazines should not be covered by the Second Amendment IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am willing to let this one stand if we keep politics out of it and talk strictly gun control.

I do think that there will be a push for all gun sales to require a background check, including private sales. I don't know how thsi can be accomplished without gun registration.
    It is sort of an honor system type thing. Maryland started requiring checks for all "restricted weapons" back in the 1990's. They did not require you to register that which you already owned. When I traded a Springfield 1911 for a friend's Colt Commander we had to go to the State Police Barrack and have them sign off on the deal.

The way you would get charged for a violation is basically if your weapon (purchased after the law went into effect) came to their attention in someone else's posession.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I agree that nothing will happen before the election, but I also agree with the President that AK-47s and the like serve no useful purpose in civilian hands. Yes, I know that some people like shooting them, but just because we like doing something does not mean it should be legal. I like driving 100mph in my car, but I do comprehend why it is not legal to do so--at least in VA. One has to balance the risks with the gain. To me it's like yelling "Fire!!!" in a crowded theater; not covered by freedom of speech. AK-47s, AR-15s and 100 round magazines should not be covered by the Second Amendment IMHO.
    I don't think you understand the 2A any better than Obama does. It is not for us to have guns so we can have fun with them. It is so that we can fight a war if necessary. In order to do that, we need military type weapons. The usefull purpose of these guns in civilian hands is to, if necessary, stand up to the military or be the military. We absolutely need to have these guns in the population.

The 2A is what gives teeth to the rest of the constitution and bill of rights. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said - When the government fears the people, you have liberty, when the people fear the government, you have tyrany.

These guns keep the government afraid of us, and not the other way around.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    ...The usefull purpose of these guns in civilian hands is to, if necessary, stand up to the military or be the military. We absolutely need to have these guns in the population...

The 2A is what gives teeth to the rest of the constitution and bill of rights. I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said - When the government fears the people, you have liberty, when the people fear the government, you have tyrany.

So I'm guessing by your argument (with which I do not necessarily disagree) that, if taken to the extreme, the military should not have weapons & technologies prohibited to the general citizenry?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I don't think you understand the 2A any better than Obama does. It is not for us to have guns so we can have fun with them. It is so that we can fight a war if necessary. In order to do that, we need military type weapons. The usefull purpose of these guns in civilian hands is to, if necessary, stand up to the military or be the military. We absolutely need to have these guns in the population.

Bravo "Big Stick"!!!
    Somebody gets it! The Second Amendment is not about self-defense, or duck hunting or even deer hunting.
    It's about the people having the power and ability to keep the Government in check.

The History of Gun Control

After reading the following historical facts, read the part
    about Switzerland twice.

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.. From 1929 to 1953,
    about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
    up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1..5 million
    Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
    of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
    rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
    political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
    Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated..

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
    Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million
    educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated.

-----------------------------
    Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
    because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians
    disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
    gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them
    of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens.'
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew
    most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message
    to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
    defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
    important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
    supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY
    CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

Charlton Heston said it best "From my cold dead hands"
    Spirit51, beararms, W9HDG and 1 others like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 2nd Amendment was designed to protect "the people" from the government. Back then the people were called "Militia".
    Obama will sign an executive order and no one in congress will challenge him.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Well they have been saying over and over Obama is not out to restrict your rights. Many of us have disagreed and been shut down.
    Well his own words are clear and they are right in line with the step by step tighten up until We are Are like Chicago.
    Obama calls for strengthening gun rules, Reid says no time for debate | Fox News
    Right. Some of us didn't need a crystal ball to see this one coming.
    W9HDG and The Old Anglo like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    So I'm guessing by your argument (with which I do not necessarily disagree) that, if taken to the extreme, the military should not have weapons & technologies prohibited to the general citizenry?
    No, I don't think that civilians need, or should have nuclear weapons, or ballistic missile submarines, etc... Some things are less clear though. The 2A only specifically authorizes "arms" which in the language of the period refered to handheld, personal weapons (which include knives and swords, but that is a whole other thread to discuss all of the restrictions on those). It does not include ordinance or artillary. I'm not saying I think those things should be banned, just that they are not explicitly protected by the 2A.

Honestly, I am not 100% sure where I think the line should be drawn, and I understand both sides of the argument about allowing larger, more advanced weapons(automatics, explosives, rockets, tanks) with restrictions and a permitting process. But I do feel that the line has been pushed too far in the wrong direction, and will fight it getting pushed any further over our rights and responsibilities as citizens.

To provide for National Defense, the government needs advanced technology. We just need to be able to keep the means to keep them in check.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    but I also agree with the President that AK-47s and the like serve no useful purpose in civilian hands. Yes, I know that some people like shooting them, but just because we like doing something does not mean it should be legal. I like driving 100mph in my car, but I do comprehend why it is not legal to do so

You have a vehicle that is capable of going over the speed limit, but if you do, you'll get in trouble. They are not restricting all vehicles that are capable of going over the speed limit, but instead, punishing the people who decide to abuse it.

AKs and ARs may be more capable than other rifles in some situations, but instead of punishing those who abuse the power, they are restricting our rights.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

AK-47s and the like serve no useful purpose in civilian hands
    The 2A does not require "useful purpose".
    Stubborn, msgt/ret and OD* like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links