Defensive Carry banner

Does AK-47 sound scarier?

3K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  Bullet1234 
#1 ·
I have a question. Why did Obama specifically call out the AK-47 today in his comments supporting more gun control? His comments are presumably in response to the CO shooting, and wanting to play on people fears and knee-jerk reactions to prevent that from happening again. Did he just assume that the AK sounds more violent and war like than an AR? Would not enough people know what an AR-15 is to be as scared and moved by his call to take them away from civilians?

Or, I guess it could just be the classic media guide to firearms where every rifle is a AK and everything else is a glock. Any other ideas on why he called out the AK? I would say maybe because it is foreign and a lot of ARs are American Made, but with this guy I think that would be the oposite motivation for him.

#2 ·
He had just finished up looking over the "Journalist's Guide To Firearms Identification."

Reactions: Stubborn
#3 ·
He probably did it because, like any person who lacks a full understanding of guns, an AK is like the name Kleenex. To them it means any type of weapon of that sort, regardless of actual name. Just like those in the media who call a revolver a Glock. They haven't taken the time to become educated on the subject. At least that's my thought.

#4 ·
It is just a classic stereotypical labeling choice. AK's represent, correctly or not, all that "we" are "subconsciously afraid" of, Terrorists, Taliban, Al Qaeda, Arabs, Africans, Communists, Chinese Comm Block, Cartels, Mobsters, Gangsters, Rappers, the Hood.......you name it. An AK conjures up a world of fear and hate.

An AR or M4 conjures up Good Guys and John Wayne.

And.........at the end of the day.......he can always use that silver tongue to argue he meant it should cover AR's and M4's and Remington deer rifles and lever actions........

#5 ·
I have a question. Why did Obama specifically call out the AK-47 today in his comments supporting more gun control?
Because of two things, IMO: the operative word is control, and it has little to do with the theatre shooting or any other specific crime; as well, the AK47 is the poster-boy for inappropriate weaponry that scares/frustrates the anti's to no end.

#8 ·
I'm suprised he didn'tr refer to it as an AK-87.

His speech writers at least coached him on this one.
What a maroon.
The drip from my faucet sounds better than the drivel coming from him.

#9 ·
I think he screwed up and said AK-47 instead of AR-15. He doesn't know or care about the difference. It is this typical lack of detail and effort to understand our needs as a nation that will be Obama's downfall.

#10 ·
I disagree. I believe that even if he doesn't know the difference, his advisors and speech writers so. Using the term AK-47 has a real psychological affect on folks. The very term immediately brings to mind someone who is an armed enemy. AR-15 or M4 bring to mind military weapons used by the good guys. "AK-47" has a fear factor. Whether you agree with O'Bama or not, the things that he says and does are very deliberate and meant to invoke certain emotions (in this case fear).

#12 ·
the AK47 is the poster-boy for inappropriate weaponry that scares/frustrates the anti's to no end.
It's also the most prolific and identifiable image of small arms in the world.....even the simple silhouette of an AK-47 is immediately identifiable and associated the world over. The image alone also has meaning for many and many different meanings. Freedom, terrorism, communism, etc. The list goes on. It's in the news every day, it's in the movies, and apparently it's not only revered, but it's also abhorred.
Does AK-47 sound scarier?
That depends on a lot of different things in the middle of a sentence. In the field....it's either the muzzle end or the stock end.

#15 ·
I agree. Everyone knows what an AK-47 is. Most people also know what an M-16 is as well but have now idea what AR-15 or M4 means. When I describe what an AR 15 is to a non gun person I tell them its a civillian version of the m-16. They seem to get it if I tell them it's a civillian version of an M4, I then have to explain to them what an M4 is. An AK-47 brings an instant image to everyones mind, and as stated already is often associated with terrorist or the "bad guys".

#17 ·
A gun is a gun ,,,, AK OR AR ,,,,to the GUN CONTROL CROWD,,,,SAME ....
they just DO NOT WANT YOU to have ONE,,,,, IT IS OK ,,,,
if their BODYGUARDS have machine guns.

All the protection for them,,,, NONE FOR US,,,,, you know the difference between
A SUBJECT AND A SLAVE,,,,, is the GUN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.