Does AK-47 sound scarier?

This is a discussion on Does AK-47 sound scarier? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question. Why did Obama specifically call out the AK-47 today in his comments supporting more gun control? His comments are presumably in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Does AK-47 sound scarier?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

I have a question. Why did Obama specifically call out the AK-47 today in his comments supporting more gun control? His comments are presumably in response to the CO shooting, and wanting to play on people fears and knee-jerk reactions to prevent that from happening again. Did he just assume that the AK sounds more violent and war like than an AR? Would not enough people know what an AR-15 is to be as scared and moved by his call to take them away from civilians?

Or, I guess it could just be the classic media guide to firearms where every rifle is a AK and everything else is a glock. Any other ideas on why he called out the AK? I would say maybe because it is foreign and a lot of ARs are American Made, but with this guy I think that would be the oposite motivation for him.
    Walk softly ...

He had just finished up looking over the "Journalist's Guide To Firearms Identification."
    Stubborn likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    He probably did it because, like any person who lacks a full understanding of guns, an AK is like the name Kleenex. To them it means any type of weapon of that sort, regardless of actual name. Just like those in the media who call a revolver a Glock. They haven't taken the time to become educated on the subject. At least that's my thought.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

It is just a classic stereotypical labeling choice. AK's represent, correctly or not, all that "we" are "subconsciously afraid" of, Terrorists, Taliban, Al Qaeda, Arabs, Africans, Communists, Chinese Comm Block, Cartels, Mobsters, Gangsters, Rappers, the Hood.......you name it. An AK conjures up a world of fear and hate.

An AR or M4 conjures up Good Guys and John Wayne.

And.........at the end of the day.......he can always use that silver tongue to argue he meant it should cover AR's and M4's and Remington deer rifles and lever actions........
    oneshot, mano3 and sdprof like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I have a question. Why did Obama specifically call out the AK-47 today in his comments supporting more gun control?
    Because of two things, IMO: the operative word is control, and it has little to do with the theatre shooting or any other specific crime; as well, the AK47 is the poster-boy for inappropriate weaponry that scares/frustrates the anti's to no end.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't think it sounds scarier, but Gunny Highway says it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you.

whoppo likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I'm suprised he didn'tr refer to it as an AK-87.

His speech writers at least coached him on this one.
    What a maroon.
    The drip from my faucet sounds better than the drivel coming from him.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    I think he screwed up and said AK-47 instead of AR-15. He doesn't know or care about the difference. It is this typical lack of detail and effort to understand our needs as a nation that will be Obama's downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I think he screwed up and said AK-47 instead of AR-15. He doesn't know or care about the difference. It is this typical lack of detail and effort to understand our needs as a nation that will be Obama's downfall.
    I disagree. I believe that even if he doesn't know the difference, his advisors and speech writers so. Using the term AK-47 has a real psychological affect on folks. The very term immediately brings to mind someone who is an armed enemy. AR-15 or M4 bring to mind military weapons used by the good guys. "AK-47" has a fear factor. Whether you agree with O'Bama or not, the things that he says and does are very deliberate and meant to invoke certain emotions (in this case fear).
    BigStick and Rock and Glock like this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I'm suprised he didn'tr refer to it as an AK-87.
    That's the super powerful assault rifle and way too scary to say!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

the AK47 is the poster-boy for inappropriate weaponry that scares/frustrates the anti's to no end.
    It's also the most prolific and identifiable image of small arms in the world.....even the simple silhouette of an AK-47 is immediately identifiable and associated the world over. The image alone also has meaning for many and many different meanings. Freedom, terrorism, communism, etc. The list goes on. It's in the news every day, it's in the movies, and apparently it's not only revered, but it's also abhorred.
    That depends on a lot of different things in the middle of a sentence. In the field....it's either the muzzle end or the stock end.
    mano3 and RevolvingMag like this.

Probably just because an AK-47 is a "household name" in regards to just about everybody knows what it is.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Personally, I think AKs sound a lot scarier. And I'm sure our Vietnam vets will agree.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Probably just because an AK-47 is a "household name" in regards to just about everybody knows what it is.
    I agree. Everyone knows what an AK-47 is. Most people also know what an M-16 is as well but have now idea what AR-15 or M4 means. When I describe what an AR 15 is to a non gun person I tell them its a civillian version of the m-16. They seem to get it if I tell them it's a civillian version of an M4, I then have to explain to them what an M4 is. An AK-47 brings an instant image to everyones mind, and as stated already is often associated with terrorist or the "bad guys".
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links