"HOW GUNS WON" Time magazine's cover story, 8/6/2012

This is a discussion on "HOW GUNS WON" Time magazine's cover story, 8/6/2012 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "How Guns Won - why Americans have turned against gun control" by Joe Klein much of the usual stuff we're used to hearing from the ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By paramedic70002
  • 2 Post By peckman28
  • 1 Post By Spirit51
  • 2 Post By BugDude

Thread: "HOW GUNS WON" Time magazine's cover story, 8/6/2012

"How Guns Won - why Americans have turned against gun control" by Joe Klein

much of the usual stuff we're used to hearing from the anti-gun left: "absolutely no rational or sporting reason for an individual to have a semiautomatic weapon or a gun clip (sic) that can fire 50 to 100 rounds at a time." "but an assault weapon ban and a more advanced recording system for ammunition purchases (and perhaps...a tax on ammunition) might prevent some of these crimes." "if only one person had escaped injury the law (the author's proposed law banning assault weapons) would be worth it..."

yet the article also says, contradicting the author's gun-banning POV: "It also didn't help that there was no clear evidence that the assault-weapons ban had accomplished anything." (during the 10 years of its life, 1994-2004). in other words, assault weapon bans don't do any good, but we want them anyway because such guns are evil.

there is a chart showing how the violent crime rate has dropped over the last 36 years from 47.7 per 1000 persons in 1976 to 14.9 per 1000 persons in 2010. to quote the title of John Lott's book, "More Guns, Less Crime". in other words, more guns haven't resulted in higher crime rates, but we want them banned anyway because they're evil.

another chart in the article, shows how "public support for gun control has decreased dramatically in recent decades": from 78% in 1991 who responded to a Gallup poll in favor of stricter gun laws, down to 43% with that same opinion in 2011.

i believe that the rise in pro-gun sentiment among the general public is mostly because of the significant increase in the number of states with "shall issue" concealed carry permitting systems, (that started with Florida in 1987) AND THE ABSENCE OF THE CATACLYSMIC RESULTS FORECAST BY THE ANTI-GUN ELEMENTS EVERY TIME ANOTHER STATE PASSED SUCH LAWS. despite what the Ivy league educated left seems to believe, we - the general public - are quite smart about most things. if having more law-abiding citizens carrying guns does not increase the general level of gun violence, then i want a gun, too.

from this article and comments from liberal columnist EJ Dionne on PBS's Newshour on 7/20/2012, i believe that "assault weapons" are once again to be the left's epitome of evil guns, which must be removed from the hands of ordinary people at whatever cost.

except that they won't be. since the Aurora shooting "there has been no conversation about either gun control or the mental health system..."

the reason? as Ed Morrissey wrote in another pro-gun article i just read (see the DC thread titled "when should we have a gun control debate?"), "we've had this debate, and gun control lost. that's why no one in Washington wants to have it again."
    Last edited by sensei2; July 29th, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added author's name; added quote citation

Well written article! I agree with it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Honestly, it's kinda a good thing the AR's have been in the limelight; as in it's been the blind (media/movies) leading the blind (nutjobs) for some of these attacks.

Edit: took out info better left unsaid.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well written article! I agree with it.
    I second this. Well done and also agree

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Haha Nice!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about is that many Americans are growing more and ore distrustful of their government. And it's not because their government hasn't given them reason to be distrustful.
    accessbob, peckman28, ctr and 3 others like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about is that many Americans are growing more and ore distrustful of their government. And it's not because their government hasn't given them reason to be distrustful.
    It is true. I view that as a healthy thing. People were stupid to trust the government in the first place.
    atctimmy and Spirit51 like this.

Conspiracy theories, government cover-up, global corruption...it's not just weirdos talking flying saucers in the desert or guys on the grassy knoll anymore. Break out your tinfoil and commence to making hats because there's a whole lot of gubmint kool-aid we're being fed with a fire hose. They've been feeding the world so much of this bull for so long we're beyond liking it, we need it. I used to wonder why the rest of the world seemed to have such an intense hate for the US when we go around being the world police and giving so much money to everyone. Well, not so much of a mystery anymore.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow. "Time" magazine is still in print? Does anyone actually read it? I hear "Newsweek" is going all digital - no more paper magazines. No one is buying (literally) their spun "news" any more.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Wow. "Time" magazine is still in print? Does anyone actually read it? I hear "Newsweek" is going all digital - no more paper magazines. No one is buying (literally) their spun "news" any more.
    They have to leave a couple of magazines, otherwise what do we read while waiting at the Dentist or Doctor's office. Of course I don't read Time or Newsweek....I prefer Highlights to either of them.
    oakchas likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I was stuck reading Redbook in the dentist office today. What a load of crap. No wonder we can't figure the opposite gender out. Stupid articles like "What your man is thinking when he says x..." When my wife asks me what I'm thinking about and I say "nothing", I literally mean "nothing." Sometimes it is guns, cars, or golf....but mostly nothing. I told her she can rest assured that it is NEVER "the status of our relationship." I figure if I come home and she is still here, we're good. Too bad I didn't have a Time or Newsweek handy.
    niks and 10thmtn like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links