Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control

This is a discussion on Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is why there is such a thing as "independents". I consider myself an independent, because there are many things strictly liberal or conservative that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control

RKM
    This is why there is such a thing as "independents". I consider myself an independent, because there are many things strictly liberal or conservative that I just don't agree with. Besides I don't have a very political mindset and don't read into it much. But it seems that die-hard liberals or conservatives, both alike make them selves out to look like crazy people.

I've had people view me as a conservative strictly because they know I owns guns (friends of course). I politely correct them. Not everybody who is an enthusiastic firearm owner is a conservative. Nor are they liberals (obviously). I clearly, being a member here have a very strong, pro 2A stance. I don't favor strict gun control. I believe same sex marriage should be allowed. I'm undecided about abortion. There are some cases where is could be deemed necessary, for instance rape victims. But how could we restrict people from abusing it as a simple form of birth control? I don't have an answer, that's why I don't argue politics and don't designate myself to one side or another. I'm just a simple dude from PA with my own view points. I don't answer to either side. Why can't more people be that way? Why does it have to be one side vs the other?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    The conservatives will just as readily trample your rights in their attempt to control drugs.
    What are these drug rights that you speak of?
    Not necessarily rights to drugs, but really, what one does to one's body is one's business.

What about all the c*** that has come along with the drug war - no knock warrants, asset forfeiture (without conviction of crime), overall militarization of local police?
    Pistology likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    This is why there is such a thing as "independents". I consider myself an independent, because there are many things strictly liberal or conservative that I just don't agree with. Besides I don't have a very political mindset and don't read into it much. But it seems that die-hard liberals or conservatives, both alike make them selves out to look like crazy people.

I've had people view me as a conservative strictly because they know I owns guns (friends of course). I politely correct them. Not everybody who is an enthusiastic firearm owner is a conservative. Nor are they liberals (obviously). I clearly, being a member here have a very strong, pro 2A stance. I don't favor strict gun control. I believe same sex marriage should be allowed. I'm undecided about abortion. There are some cases where is could be deemed necessary, for instance rape victims. But how could we restrict people from abusing it as a simple form of birth control? I don't have an answer, that's why I don't argue politics and don't designate myself to one side or another. I'm just a simple dude from PA with my own view points. I don't answer to either side. Why can't more people be that way? Why does it have to be one side vs the other?
    Because one side thinks they have God on their side and the other side doesn't believe in God at all. There will never be a middle ground because the two sides are Yin and Yang.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I would suggest you read Tragedy and Hope. It is a history of the world from about 1800 to 1965 or so. It is explained in that book how the two-party system is a scam that allows people to do little more than "throw the rascals out" without affecting major policy changes. If anything, the new party voted into power pursues the same policies with renewed vigor. The evidence is overwhelming that this is the system we had then, and still have to this day. The entire "liberal vs conservative" debate is the biggest scam of our political discourse, in my view.
    I haven't read the book but am looking foward to it.
    With that said, it is my opinion that the 2 party system is a means of keeping a balance in beliefs and not letting one particular party get too radical and have too much power. (I do not believe in a Monarchy or Dictatorship.) Term limits for the presidency set in our constitution is genius and allows the people to vote out one party when it starts to get too lopsided. And, if you look at history and current times.... it is still working just fine. No one can be happy all of the time on all of the issues.
    There has to be the middle, and the extermists on both sides or the balance won't work.

In my opinion, this is America working as it was designed to work. The beauty is that if someone doesn't agree with the way our government works, that same government allows them to be free to go to one that they agree with.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Because one side thinks they have God on their side and the other side doesn't believe in God at all. There will never be a middle ground because the two sides are Yin and Yang.
    That's a whole other debate. I don't believe there is the type of "god" that many Christians believe there is. I think "god" is misunderstood. However, It's hard to believe this is all (and I mean all) just a coincidence. I can stay in the middle of the right and left no matter what But like I said, that's a whole other, worthless, never ending debate.

I found it interesting that the writer pointed out when it comes to the issue of guns each side takes a position that is opposite of its normal agenda.

Unfortunately until the "them and us", "left and right", "red and blue", etc., cease to exist nothing will ever change in America. Its way past time to return to "We The People".
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links