Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control

This is a discussion on Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A theory on why conservatives and liberals never seem to agree on this particular issue. Of course it is a generalization, and will not apply ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control

Editorial: Conservatives vs. Liberals on Gun Control

A theory on why conservatives and liberals never seem to agree on this particular issue. Of course it is a generalization, and will not apply to all on either "side". I would consider myself more of a libertarian or possibly classical liberal, so I found the premise of this article to be thinking inside too small of a box. I view gun rights within the broader confine of property rights, which I think we show far too little regard for, to include the right to own firearms and use them as we please, short of harming others. In any event, some may find this interesting.

Conservatives: Guns do not kill people, people kill people! Liberals: Oh, yeah? | NJ.com

2. Remove Ads

Thought-provoking read. Thanks for posting it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The author makes many good points. I have always argued that the only difference between the two factions is which of the States powers should be srtipped from the States and given to the Federal Government. Then which of the individual rights should be given up to the same Federal Government. Both sides want more Federal power.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    And so, both sides talk past each other
    Yep...thats what they do.
    One side uses logic and facts.
    The other side uses feelings and wouldnt know logic if it choked them.

Funny how it all works out...
    NY27, phreddy and sniper58 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One side belives in personal accountability
    The other side believes everything is beyond their control and wants to be protected
    phreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

And both sides ignore the Constitution.
    The liberals will gladly trample all over your rights in their attempt to control firearms. The conservatives will just as readily trample your rights in their attempt to control drugs.

Michael
    mr.stuart, beararms and HotGuns like this.

I sometimes believe that they are both exactly the same. They let one half run it until the population gets real upset, then let the other half run it until changed by the same process. Regardless which one is in charge, we eventually will end up exactly where they want us.
    HotGuns and mr.stuart like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Why is no one trying to fix the problem at heart: a violent, dysfunctional society?
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I sometimes believe that they are both exactly the same. They let one half run it until the population gets real upset, then let the other half run it until changed by the same process. Regardless which one is in charge, we eventually will end up exactly where they want us.
    I would suggest you read Tragedy and Hope. It is a history of the world from about 1800 to 1965 or so. It is explained in that book how the two-party system is a scam that allows people to do little more than "throw the rascals out" without affecting major policy changes. If anything, the new party voted into power pursues the same policies with renewed vigor. The evidence is overwhelming that this is the system we had then, and still have to this day. The entire "liberal vs conservative" debate is the biggest scam of our political discourse, in my view.
    mr.stuart, HotGuns and beararms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I would suggest you read Tragedy and Hope. It is a history of the world from about 1800 to 1965 or so. It is explained in that book how the two-party system is a scam that allows people to do little more than "throw the rascals out" without affecting major policy changes. If anything, the new party voted into power pursues the same policies with renewed vigor. The evidence is overwhelming that this is the system we had then, and still have to this day. The entire "liberal vs conservative" debate is the biggest scam of our political discourse, in my view.
    +1,000,000,000

www.getcorded.com

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    And both sides ignore the Constitution.
    The liberals will gladly trample all over your rights in their attempt to control firearms. The conservatives will just as readily trample your rights in their attempt to control drugs.

Michael
    What are these drug rights that you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Now now, you would not want us to start compiling a list of posts by members of this forum that satisfies your statement in bold.........We could always start with the UN treaty thread and then move on to the Zimmerman ones and of course the recent Aurora threads.....

Just saying

What is my handle? Sometimes I am liberal, sometimes I am conservative, some times I feel like Atlas (the one who shrugged), sometimes I feel I should do more for the drunken homeless people under the bridge, sometimes I think "Screw em" they don't have to be there unless they want to be, etc, etc, etc.

I never felt I had to carry a weapon until a crazy south of here killed some people in an IHOP. Those people were terrified and could do nothing about it. Now I carry, I practice and I will shoot to kill. Check this old guy who did the right thing be needs more practice.

How to stop a massacre (PG-13 edition with improved sound effects) - YouTube
    Pistology likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

It's real simple to understand "divide and conquer" . The master plan

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The author tries to isolate political ideology from religious position which can't really be done considering they're so intertwined and both are developed together through years of unique experiences. This is not to suggest that all conservatives are religious or that all liberals aren't; but there is far too much entanglement to suggest that each one is an independent trait.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links