Australian Gun Law Update

This is a discussion on Australian Gun Law Update within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If our country follows suit, can you imagine the rise in crime? UNBELIEVABLY OUT OF CONTROL! Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts.... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Australian Gun Law Update

Australian Gun Law Update

If our country follows suit, can you imagine the rise in crime? UNBELIEVABLY OUT OF CONTROL!

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts....

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real
    figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a
    new law to
    surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own
    government, a program costing Australia taxpayers
    more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria
    alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that
    while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not
    and criminals still possess their guns!)
    While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady
    decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically
    upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed
    that their prey is unarmed.
    There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and
    assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public
    safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was
    expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You
    won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or
    members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the
    hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control
    laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!
    Will you be one of the sheep to turn yours in?

If Obama gets his way this is what would happen in the USA!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

2. Remove Ads

nice... not necessarily true... but nice...

While Snopes is liberally biased, it does give this circulating email a rating of some truth and some fiction...

I haven't (and won't) bother with more research as Australia's folly is not my own... and In the US we have a little thing called the constitution that guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. Those from OZ have no such protection in their constitution.. And while it is not impossible to amend our founding document, it is increasingly difficult to do so...

If you're interested in the Snopes link... Here it is
    rdpG19 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Wasn't this law passed back in the late 90's? Interesting data if true, and I agree with the premise of the letter, but I think this has been recycled from a few years back and just had Obama attached as the latest bad guy/boogie man.
    Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The Snopes response is quite convincing. At best, the article is misleading. I wouldn't forward that onward as a positive defense against gun control laws. There are better arguments to be made.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have a tendency to believe some of it because look at England and how their gun control is working for them... baseball bat sales went through the roof to the point amazon shut down sale to England

Amazon UK’s Aluminum Baseball Bat Sales Skyrocketing During London Riots
    Amazon UK’s Aluminum Baseball Bat Sales Skyrocketing During London Riots | The Big Lead

Sales Of Baseball Bats, Billy Clubs Up 5,000 Percent On UK Amazon.com
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_922217.html

We're a country of our own and have been for quite some time. Why should we loose focus and look at what others have done because they are weak? Let other countries sink their own ship. It really has no relevance on what we do here, and has no hopes of taking place here on the Holy ground. We may very well be a young country compared to these weak and fickle folks overseas.....but I still think we got more balls than them folk and I figure we can make our own minds not to even think about their problems and how they wish to deal with them. I don't like anyone who doesn't have at least a little bit of backbone. Exactly how did we ever get out of tyranny? You want to tell me what's happening in another country has any effect on me? You best get more educated IMO. "Australian gun control' I should worry about?
    Look......down under has no effect on me. Why should it? Statistics? You're preaching to the choir I reckon.
    Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real
    figures from Down Under.
    Yanks? How's about you quit 'yank'ing my chain? You'ns down under put yourselves down under on yer own. I don't want to hear of any other country's plight now cause you all got sappy. We gots enough to worry about here in America cause of those who have gone sappy in the rest of the world and our masters think it's a smart thing to do. Keep up with the dingos and kangaroos and quit bugging us two legged folks with stupid...nonsensical crap that don't make a hill of beans here.
    Whatda we have in common? Crocodile Dundee? That was a movie. Get real.
    Burns, msgt/ret and peckman28 like this.

I'm not a fan of emails like that. Gun control as crime control, or liberalization of guns as crime control....sorry, but I've seen no evidence that either really works all that well. The real "statistical" point is that gun control does not make anyone any safer in terms of crime, and that cannot be denied by any valid study. In the absence of even that level of evidence, gun control cannot be justified. And that's even before we get into the core of the issue, the fact that disarming people and telling them when they may or may not defend themselves from violence is utterly immoral and a blatant act of repression that no society claiming to value freedom should ever tolerate.

People are now criminalized for having an effective means of defense against predators, and the predators know it. Worst of all worlds, for "prey." Sadly, the "prey" know it ... yet the aiders/abettors are still there, in office, depriving them of their ability to effectively defend themselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    nice... not necessarily true... but nice...

While Snopes is liberally biased, it does give this circulating email a rating of some truth and some fiction...

I haven't (and won't) bother with more research as Australia's folly is not my own... and In the US we have a little thing called the constitution that guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. Those from OZ have no such protection in their constitution.. And while it is not impossible to amend our founding document, it is increasingly difficult to do so...

If you're interested in the Snopes link... Here it is
    I got this in an email and thought it was interesting because of Obama and Clinton/UN Arms Tready. If Obama were to get his way, I believe this is what would happen in the USA, Wasnt he behind the gun laws of Chicago? We do have the Constitution that states we have the right to bear arms, but Obama and his little ass kissers will change that if given a chance. The only way we can put a stop to it is Vote him out in November.
    US Navy Veteren
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    .....We do have the Constitution that states we have the right to bear arms......
    Close. We have the right to bear arms, it "shall not be infringed" is what the 2nd amendment grants us. Minor difference, but one that comes up quite often in discussions around here.
    rdpG19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    I got this in an email and thought it was interesting because of Obama and Clinton/UN Arms Tready. If Obama were to get his way, I believe this is what would happen in the USA, Wasnt he behind the gun laws of Chicago? We do have the Constitution that states we have the right to bear arms, but Obama and his little ass kissers will change that if given a chance. The only way we can put a stop to it is Vote him out in November.
    Obama was behind the gun laws in Chicago? He created them? Nope. They've been around longer than him... He may have backed (as in supported/believed in) them, but he didn't create them.

As far as voting against him... I'm doin' that as well... but I'm carrying it a bit further.... I'm voting against every incumbent of whichever party ('cause it don't matter)... Until they all learn they work for us, the citizens of The US... and, not the $$$$ interests. but that's a different story.
    rottkeeper, ANGLICO and rdpG19 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    After it happens here there will be atleast 5 million "Criminal Citzens" that will take our rights back. Big technological weaponry can NEVER defeat the willpower and fortitude of men fighting for their liberty.
    rottkeeper likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Obama was behind the gun laws in Chicago? He created them? Nope. They've been around longer than him... He may have backed (as in supported/believed in) them, but he didn't create them.

As far as voting against him... I'm doin' that as well... but I'm carrying it a bit further.... I'm voting against every incumbent of whichever party ('cause it don't matter)... Until they all learn they work for us, the citizens of The US... and, not the $$$$ interests. but that's a different story.
    +1... I'm with you on that, vote them all out until they understand they work for us, the people of the USA!!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member
    How about using Kennesaw, Georgia as an example for people? They passed a law in 1982 requiring the heads of household to own a firearm and ammunition. Since that time crime has fallen in that city and is roughly half of the national average. I saw something which said, and I'm not sure of the source so I can't be sure that it is true, that there were only 3 murders in that city (small city so low numbers there maybe not surprising) between 1982 and 2005 and all three of those were in "gun free" school zones. Interesting if true.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

What people fail to understand is that the 2nd Amendment is a reaffirmation of a natural right of free men EVERYWHERE. Any government that would attempt to restrict it is morally corrupt and we should treat it as a humans rights violation issue.
    BigStick likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links