Aurora an echo of VT????

Aurora an echo of VT????

This is a discussion on Aurora an echo of VT???? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounding even more eerily reminiscent of the VT break-down in a school’s responsibility and or mental health reporting and record keeping. Report: Holmes' psychiatrist reported ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Aurora an echo of VT????

VIP Member

Question Aurora an echo of VT????

Sounding even more eerily reminiscent of the VT break-down in a school’s responsibility and or mental health reporting and record keeping.

Report: Holmes' psychiatrist reported behavior to colleagues - CNN.com

Report: Holmes’ psychiatrist reported behavior to colleagues
    By the CNN Wire Staff

updated 9:51 PM EDT, Wed August 1, 2012

(CNN) — The psychiatrist treating the accused Colorado movie theater gunman was so concerned about his behavior that she mentioned it to her colleagues, saying he could potentially be a danger to others, CNN affiliate KMGH reported Wednesday, citing sources with knowledge of the investigation.

The psychiatrist’s concerns surfaced in early June, nearly six weeks before the July 20 killings inside a movie theater in Aurora, sources told the Denver station.

SNIP

Sources told KMGH that Fenton contacted several members of a “behavioral evaluation and threat assessment” team to say Holmes could potentially be a danger to others, the station reported.

The “BETA” team consists of “key” staff members from various university departments who have specific expertise in dealing with assessing potential threats on campus, the school says on its website.

SNIP

Sources told KMGH that university officials never contacted Aurora police with Fenton’s concerns before the July 20 killings.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Lets just start with .... CNN and you are reading anything they say first off?

Secondly this just stinks of an insider job.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post

Secondly this just stinks of an insider job.
    I saw it on the news this morning. Lets hope someone didnt drop the ball on this nut job.

As for an inside job, lets leave that to the tin foil hat people over at infowars.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I saw it on the news this morning. Lets hope someone didnt drop the ball on this nut job.

As for an inside job, lets leave that to the tin foil hat people over at infowars.
    After fast and furious I wouldn't discount anything. It probably was not an inside job, but I find myself less surprised as to what turns out to be the truth these days.
    RemMod597 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Yup.

I scan/read a wide variety VSS feeds. I read things posted from one wing to the other. I try to keep informed as to what others are saying.

I know that very anti-RKBA organizations visit forums like this and get the VCDL Alert -- in order to keep tabs on us.

I return the favor.

I like knowing what even those I disagree with are saying -- although sometimes I need duct-tape to keep my head from exploding.

In this case, CNN was the only RSS feed that I had received on this story, before I called it a night. As of now, there are 392 news articles floating around the report. If it is true, what difference does it make where I heard it first? If it's not true, someone will correct me and I am up-to-date.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

My wife was in the VT campus post office the morning of the shooting. Had to have been within minutes of when Cho was there mailing his packages before starting his rampage. That strikes close to home. It is a shame and a social failure that people saw the potential of both these people and brought concerns to others and nothing was done to prevent them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This is a little off topic and so be it. I read stuff like this, the stuff about the Virginia Tech shooter, the stuff about Jared Loughner, and the stuff about the Army nut who shot up Fort Hood, Tx.

Then I read a post from an individual concerned about posting a picture of his gun or admitting that he has some ammo stocked up. I'm thinking...really? Total psychos don't set off alarm bells. You have two guns and eight hundred rounds of ammo. The government will focus like a laser beam on you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    The government will focus like a laser beam on you.
    Are you sure about that? I came prepared!
    Attached Images
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    In a bizarre case of mistaken identity, a man and his two children were eaten alive today by a psychotic individual who kept yelling to authorities that he thought they were Hershey's Kisses.
    Ionracas likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Well, maybe there is a nugget here for the "common sense about gun control" that we keep hearing about. If this article is to be believed, then there may be a chance to improve the system to keep guns out of the hands of the insane. The idea that there was a team evaluation and escalation process for a danger to others patient sounds like a possible starting point for safeguarding individuals rights. Emphasis on starting point.
    DaveH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Re the above picture of Joaquin Phoenix & Kids...... There's your Signs
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

In the end we are all just people. When truly insane, or truly devious individuals (serial killers most notably), slip through the cracks all we can do is examine our own lives and determine if we could have done anything to prevent the violence.

If we could not have, and we take proper precautions throughout our day, then we should give it no more thought.

The percentage of people causing these instances is so small it's almost not worth noting in the big picture.

We have to remember, that the violence has always occurred. We have free will. As long as we have that, then even the most repressive social structures will never stop the rare individuals from causing pain and suffering. There are plenty of instances of violence in all cultures to prove that beyond any reasonable doubt. It's a shame that so many people lose sight of that simple fact.
    Ionracas and Cold Shot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    In the end we are all just people. When truly insane, or truly devious individuals (serial killers most notably), slip through the cracks all we can do is examine our own lives and determine if we could have done anything to prevent the violence.

If we could not have, and we take proper precautions throughout our day, then we should give it no more thought.

The percentage of people causing these instances is so small it's almost not worth noting in the big picture.

We have to remember, that the violence has always occurred. We have free will. As long as we have that, then even the most repressive social structures will never stop the rare individuals from causing pain and suffering. There are plenty of instances of violence in all cultures to prove that beyond any reasonable doubt. It's a shame that so many people lose sight of that simple fact.
    As long as we are allowed to have our differences and are given the ability to be different, not just by choice but physicaly as well, there will always be hate and violence.

Even in nature, mates are chose by color, strength, dominance and other various trates.

Hate, violence and judgement is by nature, unavoidable. How we choose to deal with hate is however controlable.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

We can second guess about everything. What can we do in the future should be the focus, but that never seems to be case. We only lift a finger when pointing at someone. As a nation, I think we need more exercise.
    Ionracas likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Well, maybe there is a nugget here for the "common sense about gun control" that we keep hearing about. If this article is to be believed, then there may be a chance to improve the system to keep guns out of the hands of the insane. The idea that there was a team evaluation and escalation process for a danger to others patient sounds like a possible starting point for safeguarding individuals rights. Emphasis on starting point.
    That is the echo from VT --- common sense about mental health law relative to firearms.

----------

We got rid of Virginia's life-time ban based on the simple order of a magistrate (based on probable cause to believe that any person has a mental illness and where nothing has been established by competent professionals).

We were able to get the start of the ban on firearms moved from that emergency custody order until after examination for commitment or mandatory outpatient treatment and/or after voluntary admission in lieu of a commitment hearing.

See: § 37.2-808. through § 37.2-817

We were able to establish a process to restore rights when the person's competent or mentally capacity was deemed no longer a danger to public safety.

See:§ 18.2-308.1:2. Purchase, possession or transportation of firearm by persons adjudicated legally incompetent or mentally incapacitated; penalty.

B. Any person whose competency or capacity has been restored pursuant to former § 37.1-134.1 or § 37.2-1012 may petition the general district court in the city or county in which he resides to restore his right to purchase, possess or transport a firearm. A copy of the petition shall be mailed or delivered to the attorney for the Commonwealth for the jurisdiction where the petition was filed who shall be entitled to respond and represent the interests of the Commonwealth. The court shall conduct a hearing if requested by either party. If the court determines, after receiving and considering evidence concerning the circumstances regarding the disability referred to in subsection A and the person's criminal history, treatment record, and reputation as developed through character witness statements, testimony, or other character evidence, that the person will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and that the granting of the relief would not be contrary to the public interest, the court shall grant the petition. Any person denied relief by the general district court may petition the circuit court for a de novo review of the denial. Upon a grant of relief in any court, the court shall enter a written order granting the petition, in which event the provisions of subsection A do not apply. The clerk of court shall certify and forward forthwith to the Central Criminal Records Exchange, on a form provided by the Exchange, a copy of any such order.
    Let's work to get the focus where it belongs -- on mental health not on firearm ownership by everyone.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links