Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police - Page 3

Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police

This is a discussion on Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tricolordad looks like their patrons have been shooting in the wrong direction. Ohhhh... You didn't just go there... I like it....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    looks like their patrons have been shooting in the wrong direction.
    Ohhhh...

You didn't just go there...

I like it.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

It's like getting your drivers license ran for getting an oil change. A lot of people with warrants stay at hotels, maybe their info should be ran. Same thing with patients being seen in the emergency departments. Heck....let's just scan our ID cards at the front door of every place we go. Except to vote of course.

If they want to do that, make it a members only club. Make the people provide a clean background check prior to allowing them to join.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Weather you know it or not this goes on in most places.
    Brew City AKA Badger got raked over by the City and setup a few times they them Black mail them into doing their dirty work.
    I have been there and will go there again I hope some day the can return to selling fire arms.
    I do have a problem with the Police doing unwarranted back round checks on me or anyone else it is wrong and could come back to haunt you in ways you never saw coming.
    brew City is and example of what happens when you have LE that makes up the law and out come as they want it to be.

I thought it was Illegal to use the database to run anybody unless they had been stopped and were being investigated in an official police capacity.Running Random names of people visiting a shooting range IMHO could violate their 4th amendment rights.What next Convenience stores reporting everybody that buys beer from the cooler
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Probably using the same reasoning to justify this as is used for DWI checkpoints...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I called the West Milwaukee police Chief 30 minutes ago. While he was polite he made it clear he is the law and will do what ever he wants and No one can stop him.
    His words were the only people that would be concerned are gun nuts. If the checks run us all off the better for him. Now he used many more words to say this but he was clear on where he stood. We are the enemy and he is the cure.
    He tried to say they keep no records but I find that hard to except.
    Only you know what is right for you if you feel you should speak with him. My next call will be the Wisconsin DOJ
    POLICE DEPARTMENT

4755 West Beloit Road • West Milwaukee, WI 53214

Non-Emergency: 414-645-2151 — TDD:414-645-2151 — Fax: 414-645-8162

Senior Moderator
    If he is using a state crime information database for an "unofficial" function, which it appears that he is...then he can be prosecuted,fined,fired or all of the above.

Put it terms that he can understand.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And the People have a compelling interest in keeping its hirelings from breaching the 4A against unreasonable search/seizure.
    It's reasonable imo. The state has a compelling interest, can demonstrate felons using the range in the past, can demonstrate catching felons braking the law by checking backgrounds like this, and no one's forcing you to shoot there so if you don't like it you can shoot somewhere else.

I've personally never step foot on a civilian range, so I don't see what the big deal is.

I was at a inside firing range in Greensboro , NC just to check it out and I noticed that everyone that came in to shoot that their name and address was wrote in a log book laying out on a desk for all to see. I don't like my address out like that for any to see so I left. Makes for easy pickings for the right thief also to get gun owners addresses..just saying..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I don't think I have a problem with this. The state has a compelling interest to make sure felons aren't using firearms, and this range sounds like it's been in trouble before and is trying to play nice with the authorities.

Yeah...I don't have a problem here. Carry on.
    Not compelling enough to remove those felons from society it seems.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You gentlemen have a lot to learn. It is precisely because of these attitudes that people get away with this type of thing.

Its all good until its a case of mistaken identity and they come take your guns and haul you off to jail. Or the info gets out that you went to the range 3 dozen times last year and the employer that you are trying to get a job with gets the info and thinks you're a wacko because you like guns and you don't get hired.

Use your brains people. You are getting background checked for a legal activity that does not require it..all in the name of public safety. You are being proved that you are innocent of a crime and not guilty of something. Not only is it more than likely illegal, but it is unethical and wrong and both the owner of the range and the police chief need to be called on it.

Believe it or not, in this country you are innocent until proven guilty, not guilt until proven innocent. Go study up on the Civics classes that you all slept through in school and educate yourselves so at least you'll know when you are being violated.
    All I did was take my tin-foil hat off. They're not out to get me. My background is already routinely checked by foster-care and the Army, so why should I care if a gun range wants to check it also? Yeah, mistaken identity can happen...so what? It's nothing which can't be easily cleared up with the proper SSN and valid ID. No problem. Yeah, my employer can pull my background, too...again, so what? They're going to see a clean criminal record and military service. They aren't going to see how many times my background has been looked at, and even if they did, again, so what? If I still don't like it for whatever reason, if I still think aliens put a chip in my brain and are listening to my thoughts...I don't have to go to that range. It's that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I thought it was Illegal to use the database to run anybody unless they had been stopped and were being investigated in an official police capacity.Running Random names of people visiting a shooting range IMHO could violate their 4th amendment rights.What next Convenience stores reporting everybody that buys beer from the cooler
    That would be rather silly since convicted felons can still buy alcohol.

well, i don't live down there anymore i only shot at brew city a couple times. now i shoot at van dyne gun club. it's members only, as soon as we buy a house (in the country) i will be shooting in my back yard. then i will never have to go to a range again. i personally hate them. never know who is safe and who is a rube that might accidentally shoot you.

oh, and there have been two suicides at this place when it was badger gun. kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Second suicide in a week occurs at Badger Guns - JSOnline
    ArmyMan likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Who is paying for these background checks?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Who is paying for these background checks?

Michael
    Wisconsin tax payers who else.
    If no one had weapons we would have no need for ranges problem solved. LEO.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links