Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police

This is a discussion on Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you guys don't want a background check don't fill out the paperwork....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Warning!! Milwaukee gun range voluntarily reports law-abiding customers to police

If you guys don't want a background check don't fill out the paperwork.

2. Remove Ads

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    Who is paying for these background checks?

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Wisconsin tax payers who else.
    If no one had weapons we would have no need for ranges problem solved. LEO.
    This is what I was really wondering about. If in fact the taxpayers are paying for the checks then the gun range is not running background checks on anyone. It would be the Government who was running them using a private business as a front to get around any laws that might prevent the Government from running background checks on citizens.

Now don't anyone start accusing me of needing a tinfoil hat. I mean really, the Government would never use a private business as a front as a means to break laws while investigating its citizens. We all know that.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, mistaken identity can happen...so what? It's nothing which can't be easily cleared up with the proper SSN and valid ID. No problem.
    Think its that easy huh? You must still be in the Army.

One case of mistaken identity that I have personally been involved in. A man wanted to get his Arkansas CHL renewed. So he goes through the channels, and he gets it kicked back because of a felony record that he acquired.

Except that it wasn't him. It was a guy with the same name and a different social security number. No big deal right?
    Wrong. It took the man over 6 months of proof, re proof and even more proof to prove who he wasn't. Should have been simple right? Proper ID, drivers license, concealed handgun permit and even social security.

Nope, not good enough. How about proof of paid bills, proof of home ownership, proof of citizenship? Good enough huh?
    No not really. They just didn't feel "comfortable" with it.
    Never mind that the guy has had a CHL renewed twice, has numerous NFA items approved by the ATF, none of that matters.

So he gets a laywer to hash it all out. Lawyer is a dirt-bag and goes through the whole process proving that the guy is who he says he is, stands before a judge who throws the whole case out because scuzball lawyer has the wrong social security number ( it ought to be easy right?) on the guy.

Now the guy is out a years time, and the lawyer all of a sudden doesn't have time to mess with him, wont return his calls. He gets another lawyer but this one says it'll cost about 5 grand to even look into it.

Now, here is a guy that works for a living, hasn't gotten so much as a parking ticket,that cant get his CHL renewed because some scumbag with the same name keeps popping up.

So tell me, is justice being served here?

As a Deputy Marshal that deals with identities of people I can tell you of many,many cases of mistaken ID, that ought to be simple to figure out...just a small thing,no big deal that ought be cleared up with a proper ID and Social Security number but I can testify that it is often not the case.

Believe what you want and just hope that you never become the one with the mistaken identity.
    I know better.

American citizens deserve better than this.

From what I can see, the Police Chief needs to be fired,tried for breach of trust, illegal use of a Crime database and then stuck away in a jail cell with some big ole boy named "Bubba" who thinks his new cell mate has a pretty mouth.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Think its that easy huh? You must still be in the Army.

One case of mistaken identity that I have personally been involved in. A man wanted to get his Arkansas CHL renewed. So he goes through the channels, and he gets it kicked back because of a felony record that he acquired.

Except that it wasn't him. It was a guy with the same name and a different social security number. No big deal right?
    Wrong. It took the man over 6 months of proof, re proof and even more proof to prove who he wasn't. Should have been simple right? Proper ID, drivers license, concealed handgun permit and even social security.

Nope, not good enough. How about proof of paid bills, proof of home ownership, proof of citizenship? Good enough huh?
    No not really. They just didn't feel "comfortable" with it.
    Never mind that the guy has had a CHL renewed twice, has numerous NFA items approved by the ATF, none of that matters.

So he gets a laywer to hash it all out. Lawyer is a dirt-bag and goes through the whole process proving that the guy is who he says he is, stands before a judge who throws the whole case out because scuzball lawyer has the wrong social security number ( it ought to be easy right?) on the guy.

Now the guy is out a years time, and the lawyer all of a sudden doesn't have time to mess with him, wont return his calls. He gets another lawyer but this one says it'll cost about 5 grand to even look into it.

Now, here is a guy that works for a living, hasn't gotten so much as a parking ticket,that cant get his CHL renewed because some scumbag with the same name keeps popping up.

So tell me, is justice being served here?

As a Deputy Marshal that deals with identities of people I can tell you of many,many cases of mistaken ID, that ought to be simple to figure out...just a small thing,no big deal that ought be cleared up with a proper ID and Social Security number but I can testify that it is often not the case.

Believe what you want and just hope that you never become the one with the mistaken identity.
    I know better.

American citizens deserve better than this.

From what I can see, the Police Chief needs to be fired,tried for breach of trust, illegal use of a Crime database and then stuck away in a jail cell with some big ole boy named "Bubba" who thinks his new cell mate has a pretty mouth.
    Now that's some scary stuff..

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

So your guilty until proven innocent? Wow, so much for living in America. And some of you are okay with it?
    --Jason--

Even if you have nothing to hide, it shouldn't be happening. Simple as that.

Sent from my palm device
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Well the Chief of police has a write record of who owns fire arms and has used them on what dates at that range. The question is what will he do with that information?
    A police Chief that does not think we have any 2nd Amendment rights, that stands against CC and OC. How might he use that to target free citizens.
    He has a list of times you are likely to be in the area going to the range and may have your fire arm with you. What kind of trap might he and his agenda laced department setup for you?
    Nothing to fear you need to look again at who and what you are facing.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You gentlemen have a lot to learn. It is precisely because of these attitudes that people get away with this type of thing.

Its all good until its a case of mistaken identity and they come take your guns and haul you off to jail. Or the info gets out that you went to the range 3 dozen times last year and the employer that you are trying to get a job with gets the info and thinks you're a wacko because you like guns and you don't get hired.

Use your brains people. You are getting background checked for a legal activity that does not require it..all in the name of public safety. You are being proved that you are innocent of a crime and not guilty of something. Not only is it more than likely illegal, but it is unethical and wrong and both the owner of the range and the police chief need to be called on it.

Believe it or not, in this country you are innocent until proven guilty, not guilt until proven innocent. Go study up on the Civics classes that you all slept through in school and educate yourselves so at least you'll know when you are being violated.
    I'm completely with HotGuns on this one. The very idea of "I have nothing to hide" so the government can snoop on me all they want is repulsive and immoral in the extreme. This business deserves to go bankrupt yesterday and the PD in question needs to be purged of a lot of people who are guilty of violating the 4A rights of quite a few shooters. This whole story is a load of crap and is completely offensive.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My local range wants to see only the membership card they gave me and $10.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My local range wants to see only the membership card they gave me and $10.
    That is great. Problem here is we have a Chief of Police that is requiring a local in door range to provide him with the names and address of everyone that use the range.
    He then runs back round checks on every single one of them.
    He claims he is looking of felons, well all he needs to do it walk down the streets of Milwaukee they deal drugs all over the city, shooting each other up most nights of the week.
    But he is to busy running back round checks on the 99.9% of range users that have broken no laws. Tracking their coming and going recording who has fire arms. Scary stuff.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    That is great. Problem here is we have a Chief of Police that is requiring a local in door range to provide him with the names and address of everyone that use the range.
    He then runs back round checks on every single one of them.
    He claims he is looking of felons, well all he needs to do it walk down the streets of Milwaukee they deal drugs all over the city, shooting each other up most nights of the week.
    But he is to busy running back round checks on the 99.9% of range users that have broken no laws. Tracking their coming and going recording who has fire arms. Scary stuff.
    No he is taking the safe route after all there is little likelihood of being shot by a law abiding gun owner, drug dealers though present more of a problem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Just don't get caught hiding a family of gun owners in your basement.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    No he is taking the safe route after all there is little likelihood of being shot by a law abiding gun owner, drug dealers though present more of a problem.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I thought it was Illegal to use the database to run anybody unless they had been stopped and were being investigated in an official police capacity.Running Random names of people visiting a shooting range IMHO could violate their 4th amendment rights.What next Convenience stores reporting everybody that buys beer from the cooler
    I have been told in the past by a WV trooper than randomly running data without a legitimate reason is one of the fastest ways to end a LE career. I really doubt this a covered or approved activity in the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by thmsmgnm View Post
    I have been told in the past by a WV trooper than randomly running data without a legitimate reason is one of the fastest ways to end a LE career. I really doubt this a covered or approved activity in the regulations.
    Probably depends on how high up on the food chain you are.

Michael
    Fausty likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links