Guns in public housing

Guns in public housing

This is a discussion on Guns in public housing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sort of a win and a loss in this lawsuit but still and attack on legally owned firearms. Gun ruling may become a model for ...

Guns in public housing

Sort of a win and a loss in this lawsuit but still and attack on legally owned firearms.

Gun ruling may become a model for the nation
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'm from Chicago and believe me, here is no shortage of guns in public housing. But a closer read on the decision seems to me to be rather narrow.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

So now how will we define public area, down the road. Any place were the public may gather? We will see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    So now how will we define public area, down the road. Any place were the public may gather? We will see where this goes.
    Did you read the article? It specifically states:
    The housing authority's policy of prohibiting residents from openly carrying firearms in "common areas" of public housing buildings

The housing authority's policy of prohibiting residents from openly carrying firearms in "common areas" of public housing buildings is reasonable and does not unduly restrict residents' Second Amendment right to own and possess a gun, U.S. District Judge Leonard P. Stark wrote in a 42-page opinion.
    It does however restrict ones right to bear arms. I do wonder why the Judge changed the wording of the amendment from 'to keep and bear arms' to 'to own and possess'?

Michael

Gun ruling may become a model for the nation
    That's the scary thing.

Encroachment ... coming to a community near you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    If the article is correct with how the ruling reads. The only restriction it imposes is on "openly carried" guns. It does not restrict from concealed carrying of guns in common areas.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Did you read the article? It specifically states:
    Yes but this would not be the first time such a ruling was expanded by another court. It is the foot in the door way of doing things .

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If the article is correct with how the ruling reads. The only restriction it imposes is on "openly carried" guns. It does not restrict from concealed carrying of guns in common areas.
    True but the slippery slope is lurking... and it's very slippery especially to politicians...
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

Wisconsin law specifically prohibits this type of ruling.

For residents at least. Residents also can allow their friends/family to be armed as well. They assume liability for their actions.

We have different laws in different states. Hopefully the law gets overturned in time.

The most important thing about this ruling is the fact that how can any resident get to their apartment? It's much like the GFSZ law does not specifically allow for people to get to their homes if they live within 1000 feet of a school. It's technically illegal (unless your state specifies otherwise) to drive to your home with a gun being transported according to state law if you live within the GFSZ.

This law also needs to go much like the GFSZ law does.

I don't have a whole lot of trouble with this ruling.

It seems to only ban open carry in public areas of the housing unit. While technically, the public housing is owned by the taxpayers, it is usually run by some gov/private entity. I am going to catch some flack, but if you don't like the rules set forth by your landlord, you are free to move. Personally I don't think there should be any public housing, but that is my personal opinion.

It does seem that this ruling actually expanded the rights of the residents over the previous ban all together of carrying firearms. So it was a step in the right direction.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links