Discussion with UK family - Page 2

Discussion with UK family

This is a discussion on Discussion with UK family within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yea because the UK is such a safe country without guns. So safe they have anti-aircraft missles on the roof of an apartment to protect ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Discussion with UK family

Yea because the UK is such a safe country without guns. So safe they have anti-aircraft missles on the roof of an apartment to protect from terrorist attack on the Olympics. We all know terrorists dont obey gun laws. Considering 9/11 and these AA sites in place we also know that guns arnt nessecarry to comit crimes.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Yeah, their culture is just way different than ours in many ways, and firearms is one of those hot-button topics for most over there. It's uncivilized and unnecessary, as far as they are concerned. It took a while to get my wife (who was born in England but had lived in the US for 20 years) comfortable with the idea of me having them around. Now she loves to shoot. It's just a fear they have due to ignorance and lack of exposure.
    Ionracas, mano3 and BurgerBoy like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Yeah, their culture is just way different than ours in many ways, and firearms is one of those hot-button topics for most over there. It's uncivilized and unnecessary, as far as they are concerned. It took a while to get my wife (who was born in England but had lived in the US for 20 years) comfortable with the idea of me having them around. Now she loves to shoot. It's just a fear they have due to ignorance and lack of exposure.
    I honestly think that is a problem with a lot of the antis here in the states as well as thoes who are just indifferent. Some just have no exposure or knowledge.

My wife comes from a very liberal family from San Jose, California. I couldnt watch an episode of cops without her sis screaming police bruitality over two LEOs tackling a MWAG. My wife was indifferent but once I got her to a range, she wanted to go more than I did.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    I wouldn't paint everyone in the UK with the same brush. You can find folks right here (my sister comes to mind) that'll freak out at the mention of any sort of firearm.

An ol' buddy of mine from the UK transferred to the US to be on our consulting team. He immediately fell in love with BBQ, country music (btw, you haven't lived until you've heard country music sung with a British accent ) and guns. Yup, I converted him into a full-on redneck within a year.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I think they can have a long gun for hunting. Bolt action rifle/double barrel/OU shotgun. Not 100% sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I wouldn't paint everyone in the UK with the same brush. You can find folks right here (my sister comes to mind) that'll freak out at the mention of any sort of firearm.

An ol' buddy of mine from the UK transferred to the US to be on our consulting team. He immediately fell in love with BBQ, country music (btw, you haven't lived until you've heard country music sung with a British accent ) and guns. Yup, I converted him into a full-on redneck within a year.
    Jolly good show, old chap!!! If you could get a video of him singing Hank Williams, Jr. songs while drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, it would probably be a viral youtube sensation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm from the UK originally and my entire family lives over there. I've recently got into firearms and they know about it. I wouldn't say they approve, but they don't really give me much trouble about it either. The initial mildly shocked reaction was, "you have a gun??". Then I found out that my brother went shooting in Las Vegas when he was over here at one point, and they all seem to know about guns. If you were to give them the option, I'd say half of the people that express confusion over why you'd want a gun, would actually get one themselves.

As has been said in this forum, the main issue seems to be lack of exposure and just plain ignorance about guns. I'm willing to bet that the next time my siblings come over they'll want to see and hold a gun, and probably go to the range and shoot off a few rounds too. They would enjoy the experience and likely go home and tell their friends, but also probably mention how we're all just cowboys and it's the wild west over here.

A lot of people over there are not happy with the self defense laws in the UK. It has literally got to the point where people are scared to have a baseball bat in the house (assuming they don't play baseball - most don't of course) because just the act of having it can get you into trouble because it can be considered a lethal weapon. My brother has a big heavy maglite as a self defense "weapon" because that's about as far as you can go.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm from the UK and have been in the states for a little over a decade. I have the guns and I love BBQ (I smoke some mean spare ribs) but the thought of country music still horrifies me to my core, although I respect your right to poison your brain with it. :)
    GeorgiaDawg, Ionracas and WHEC724 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    I'm from the UK originally and my entire family lives over there. I've recently got into firearms and they know about it. I wouldn't say they approve, but they don't really give me much trouble about it either. The initial mildly shocked reaction was, "you have a gun??". Then I found out that my brother went shooting in Las Vegas when he was over here at one point, and they all seem to know about guns. If you were to give them the option, I'd say half of the people that express confusion over why you'd want a gun, would actually get one themselves.

As has been said in this forum, the main issue seems to be lack of exposure and just plain ignorance about guns. I'm willing to bet that the next time my siblings come over they'll want to see and hold a gun, and probably go to the range and shoot off a few rounds too. They would enjoy the experience and likely go home and tell their friends, but also probably mention how we're all just cowboys and it's the wild west over here.

A lot of people over there are not happy with the self defense laws in the UK. It has literally got to the point where people are scared to have a baseball bat in the house (assuming they don't play baseball - most don't of course) because just the act of having it can get you into trouble because it can be considered a lethal weapon. My brother has a big heavy maglite as a self defense "weapon" because that's about as far as you can go.
    I could just see them asking me why I have a chainsaw and axe in my bedroom...I'd just say that my wife says I saw wood in my sleep.

I'm from the UK and have been in the states for a little over a decade. I have the guns and I love BBQ (I smoke some mean spare ribs) but the thought of country music still horrifies me to my core, although I respect your right to poison your brain with it. :)
    Don't feel bad. I'm a 4x4 truck driving good ol boy redneck myself, and I can't handle what most people refer to as country music either. Now give me some good old fashioned Bluegrass music, and I could listen to it all day. This radioized pop country stuff...I'd rather take a poke in the eye with a stick.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

I read that Even banning guns does not slow down criminals. In the U.K., where private ownership of firearms is practically forbidden, criminals have and use guns regularly, and even build their own. One enterprising fellow converted 170 starter pistols to functioning firearms and sold them to gangs. Hundreds of such underground gun factories have been established, contributing to a 35% jump in gun violence. And now they put a ban on starter pistols? Is there truth to this?

Everytime something is banned, it creates a blackmarket demand that organized crime rings salivate over. If there is a void, they will fill it and make a ton of money doing it.
    sid1 and accessbob like this.

I grew up with parents who were originaly from London. I was the only kid on my block who was called "twit". My dad was against guns and mom was the "its dreadful" atitude you mentioned.

While other kids sneaked off to parties, i sneaked off to shoot guns. My neighbor was a Navy vet and i went with him to shoot skeet.I secretly took skeet shooting lessons every weekend for two summers. .Also this neighbor would go target shooting with his 1911 and i would go along and that is how i learned the basics of shooting saftley and properly.My cover was this neighbor also had an airplane that he was restoring so as far as my parents knew i was helping him out with various chores.

The day i turned 18 i started buying my own guns.I have worked on my parents for years and wore them down. They are no longer anti-gun.

England is so far gone. They have given up most of their rights.That is why we must keep a close watch and vote out anyone who would try and take our God given rights away.

VIP Member
    Someone should show the UK this.............
    Attached Images
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

A month ago I return home from a 6 month stay in Australia and I can say that the UK is not the only place like that. I have never been to the UK so I can make a direct comparison. Rifles are allowed for hunting and competitive shooting & handguns only for competitive shooting. No calibers higher than 9mm, barrel length no shorter than 5" and must be stored at the range. Not at home.

Since banning guns in 1996, they have had no reduction firearms related homicides. Assault has almost doubled and rape has almost tripled but good luck telling them that. They simply will not listen nor will they make the effort to even check for themselves.

As far as I could tell, the only thing you're allowed to have for self defense is a cell phone. To illustrate this further; I was riding the train in melbourne where I saw a government public notice reminding citizens....
    -----------------
    If you are caught with a blade (which included those Coleman utility pliers) it is $X in fines and X days in jail.

If your caught with a firearm it is $X in fines and X years in prison.

....it continues....
    REMEMBER, SELF DEFENSE OF ONE'S PERSON IS NOT REASON ENOUGH TO POSSESS A WEAPON.
    ----------------
    I was absolutely horrified to see this and that it was publicly acceptable for their government to tell them that defending their life is not a good enough reason to break the law.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time while I was there and it is definitely worth visiting at least once in your life, seriously. The people outside of the cities are extremely warm welcoming and some of the most kind people I have ever met. I miss them so much, but the overall cultural perception of firearms and complacency toward being told of the value of their life makes the thought of living there devastating to me.

Never in my life have I ever appreciated, loved, and have been so proud to have the things we have in America. Despite some it's significant problems, we do in fact have something that's becoming ever increasingly rare in this world. Something worth every bit that it cost and will continue to cost to retain it.

Whose soap box is this anyway?
    GeorgiaDawg and FLArmadillo like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links