Discussion with UK family - Page 3

Discussion with UK family

This is a discussion on Discussion with UK family within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of my best friends lives in West Yorkshire. His small handgun collection was taken from him in the infamous 1997 ban. Previously we had ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Discussion with UK family

One of my best friends lives in West Yorkshire. His small handgun collection was taken from him in the infamous 1997 ban. Previously we had shot together while I was visiting. He tried to save it under some obscure provision for "collectors." Unfortunately, the authorities arbitrarily determined that his 4 handguns unacceptably small to be a collection so some fine models went to the smelter. He was good enough to put in a decade as a Royal Marine followed by a career as a fireman in Her Majesty's fire service but wasn't good enough to be deemed fit to own handguns within the Realm. I'm even still sick about it these 15 years later. I was in his home when his notice to turn them arrived in the mail.

There are good folks in the UK, lots of them. They are just overwhelmed by the ignorant masses and foreigners.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    You should have reminded them about how their country put out a desperate cry to the United States and all Americans to send them any and all firearms and ammunition when they thought the Germans would be stomping into their backyards to slaughter them.

Many thousands of American citizens donated personal rifles, shotguns, handguns & ammo to the Brits...and never got any of it back by the way.

The next time you beg us for firearms Brits...you're on your own...start making zip-guns in your respective garages.

How quickly they forget.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have some very good friends from the Essex area who now live here and let me tell you, they're more pro gun than 90% of Americans. They bought a house, a boat, a dog, 3 handguns and a shotgun, and started an A/C business all within a year. We shoot together very often. The only thing they find "dreadful" is that I tell them they're living the American dream, and they know it's true.lol
    BugDude and BurgerBoy like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You should have reminded them about how their country put out a desperate cry to the United States and all Americans to send them any and all firearms and ammunition when they thought the Germans would be stomping into their backyards to slaughter them.

Many thousands of American citizens donated personal rifles, shotguns, handguns & ammo to the Brits...and never got any of it back by the way.

The next time you beg us for firearms Brits...you're on your own...start making zip-guns in your respective garages.

How quickly they forget.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

REMEMBER, SELF DEFENSE OF ONE'S PERSON IS NOT REASON ENOUGH TO POSSESS A WEAPON.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Hard to be very happy when both life and liberty are held to be of zero value by one's own governing few.

Words of warning to the wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

How quickly they forget.
    Glad somebody brought this up... History isn't taught anymore... apparently anywhere.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Y'all seemed surprised by the UK citizens' reaction to the mention of guns. Try having the same conversation with someone from Massachusetts or Illinois. Yes, there are a few holdouts in those states for 2nd Amendment concerns, but constant propaganda & orientation has WORKED on the vast percentage of their populations. It can happen & has happened. Without our diligence, it'll happen right here.
    mano3 and BurgerBoy like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Y'all seemed surprised by the UK citizens' reaction to the mention of guns. Try having the same conversation with someone from Massachusetts or Illinois. Yes, there are a few holdouts in those states for 2nd Amendment concerns, but constant propaganda & orientation has WORKED on the vast percentage of their populations. It can happen & has happened. Without our diligence, it'll happen right here.
    Heck, most people from the Northeast in general! My New Jersey friends and family think I've gone native and turned redneck because I have guns and like to shoot...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Heck, most people from the Northeast in general! My New Jersey friends and family think I've gone native and turned redneck because I have guns and like to shoot...
    One of my best friends that works on the Air Force base with me is the same way. Hes from Jersey and is deathly afraid of guns and sees no reason that I should have one on me all the time. But he told me it stems from an event that happened in his life regarding his uncle being shot or something of that sort. Im slowly getting him to come around and he has agreed to come to the range with me one of these days.

Luckily I'll never have to "turn" redneck. I am a member of that native, indigenous species!
    mano3, catt101 and BurgerBoy like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Luckily I'll never have to "turn" redneck. I am a member of that native, indigenous species!
    Me too. When Jeff Foxworthy came out with his "you might be a redneck" routine, my parents thought it was hilarious because if it were a test of sorts, they scored 100%.

"If you put your new TV on top of your old TV"
    "If you take your dog to work"
    "If you stock up on pork & beans"

My Dad could have written his whole collection just based off of his own stuff. I do have to say that I personally revel in "the glorious absence of sophistication."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Me too. When Jeff Foxworthy came out with his "you might be a redneck" routine, my parents thought it was hilarious because if it were a test of sorts, they scored 100%.

"If you put your new TV on top of your old TV"
    "If you take your dog to work"
    "If you stock up on pork & beans"

My Dad could have written his whole collection just based off of his own stuff. I do have to say that I personally revel in "the glorious absence of sophistication."
    The only things that will survive the coming nuclear holocaust is roaches, Beanie-weenies, and Vienna Sausages. Well, maybe Twinkies too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If your Granny's ironing board has a spit cup on it, you MAY be a redneck. Heck, Jeff Foxworthy is a pure City Slicker 'round these parts. We have to go toward town...to hunt.
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Me too.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

The interesting thing about the UK is they have one of the strictest gun control laws devised by a man, but their rate of violent crime is number one on the earth. The other interesting thing is the United States isn't even in the top ten for rates of violent crime. Go figure!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links