Discussion with UK family

This is a discussion on Discussion with UK family within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on vacation at the beach last week and while sitting at the Tiki bar I had a very interesting conversation with a family ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Discussion with UK family

Discussion with UK family

I was on vacation at the beach last week and while sitting at the Tiki bar I had a very interesting conversation with a family from the UK here vacationing. We were watching the Olympics and talking about differences here and there, weather, culture, etc. They were talking about how convenient everything is here, the roads being so much more conducive to travel, more customer service oriented business, etc. We also talked about how relatively young the US is as a country. The depth and breadth of history throughout Europe, etc.

As we were talking about the cultural differences, we started talkng about different hobbies here and there. At one point, I lead into "well I don't know how these things are over there (which I did, but I was playing dumb), but one of my favorite hobbies is firearms." They all got a look like someone dropped a taco bell gas bubble at a funeral and said, "Firearms?" I went on to tell them that I started target shooting when I was a kid and I target shoot regularly, about 5,000 to 8,000 rounds per year. Then I told them that I started taking my daughter shooting when she was 7 years old. The wife said, "Oh my, how dreadful!!!" I told them that growing up in the country here, young boys Dad's take them target shooting, hunting, and fishing and it's just what we did in rural areas.

The next thing they said was, "Oh my, look at the time. Got to go. It was a pleasure meeting you. Take care" and they cut a trail like they had seen a ghost. I saw them about an hour later at another pool side bar (from across the bar) and they again cut a trail so quick they nearly knocked their chairs and several others over.

I found it very interesting after having had a long conversation about all of these cultural differences and appreciating the diversity until the word "firearm" came out. Heck, I wasn't even carrying and never even mentioned that I did. Just discussing target shooting and they were scared out of their wits. I'd be interested to hear the version of the story they tell their friends and family back home.
    Dennis1209 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

That's why I prefer the Kentucky kinda UK family. Teeth are the same, but the firearm attitude is worlds apart.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Wow! Well next time if they bring up dental work you can respond in kind! Idk what to say dude, that baffles me. To each their own but I love to discuss cultural differences of all sorts even if.I don't like their view or subject but that just baffles me. Guess they still haven't gotten over that revolution thing!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

There are actually people in the UK that feel very different. I frequent a South African forum for gun owners, and that's a hard place to get a gun.

What we have to remember is that even in our country, we are a small group of people. So, it's as hard for some people to understand us, even though we take it for granted that everyone is just like us.

There are people and groups in the UK that are passionate about arms, and are struggling to take back lost ground.
    The fight is everywhere.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

They have been told, and believe that guns are bad for so long, that they really believe it, but don't worry, the Government will protect you.
    oneshot and accessbob like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm just thinking about their would-be reaction to "lookee here at my ever day peeshooter" as you pull out the j frame.

By the time they get home they will have you painted as a raving gun crazed lunatic and they were scared to death you were going to just open fire on the entire crowd at the bar.

Let the world think we're just a bunch of crazy cowboys here!!!
    4my sons likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    That's why I prefer the Kentucky kinda UK family. Teeth are the same, but the firearm attitude is worlds apart.
    Thats what I first thought he was referring to when I opened it up,lol
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I went to a few UK Basketball games when I lived in KY. That was 96-97. It was an intense sports environment for sure.

Went to some Thoroughblades hockey matches too. Rockin fun in person!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I went to a few UK Basketball games when I lived in KY. That was 96-97. It was an intense sports environment for sure.

Went to some Thoroughblades hockey matches too. Rockin fun in person!!!
    Good time to be there... right in the middle of the back-to-back-to-back championship games. I was friends with a bunch of the T-Blades (Steve Guolla, Ken Bellinger, Steve Webb, Jamie Ram). Zdeno Chara, current captain of the Boston Bruins, was on that team too. Good times.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    BugDude...you should have invited them to go shooting with you!
    mano3, msgt/ret and BurgerBoy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A work colleague of mine was showing some English visitors the sights around Phoenix. They got out onto the more rural areas in the East Valley, and they stopped to take some pictures of one of the lakes. I think they had already discussed guns and shooting, but my friend (big guy, almost always wears baggy Hawaiian shirts) pulls out a 1911 from under this shirt and asks Mr. Limey if he'd like to take a couple of shots. He got the deer-in-the-headlights look, but cranked off a couple of rounds just to show the visitors that is wasn't quite the nuclear detonation they'd been led to believe. The story ends with Mr. Limey taking a few shots and Mrs. Limey actually firing the gun as well! They talked about how impressed their friends back home would be that they had fired a Yank's gun, and that it was a forty-five!
    BurgerBoy and accessbob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    BugDude...you should have invited them to go shooting with you!
    They took off so fast I didn't even get to mention having a concealed carry license or anything about carrying. As soon as the word "firearm" came out, they started gathering thier stuff. I did buy their drinks though. It's funny how they were all interested in American culture and hobbies until "the word" came out. I consciously chose firearm instead of gun or handgun hoping it would be somewhat less gunnish....guess not. They would have soiled themselves if I had actually had a gun on me...of course, they probably thought I did (which 99.9% of the time, I would have). I chose not to carry while on the beach or at the pool areas for a variety of reasons.

He said firearm! Run away!!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links