Background checks & forms to purchase handguns

This is a discussion on Background checks & forms to purchase handguns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm And there isn't one, when a citizen purchases directly from a citizen (in states that recognize this) ... as it should ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Background checks & forms to purchase handguns

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And there isn't one, when a citizen purchases directly from a citizen (in states that recognize this) ... as it should be.
    Chiming in with my own $0.02;

When I sell privately, I make a bill of sale. But I'm also the kind of guy who keeps receipts for oil changes on my car so I can prove proper maintenance when I eventually use it as a trade-in. This is to cover my own ass, not keep track of the buyer. It'll sit in my safe for the rest of my days. Also, it is my own personal rule that I will only sell to someone with a valid CCW, and their CCW permit number is recorded on the bill of sale, as is mine. This way I know I'm not selling to a felon, and the buyer knows they're not buying a hot gun.

Other people gift guns without paperwork, I've been the recipient of such a gift myself, and I'm ok with that. Something like a bill of sale for a private perches should be completely optional.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't have a problem with the transfer sheet and I understand why it exists. It simply shows the dealer sold the gun to someone and did not keep it for himself.

The NICS background check is a such a simple thing and if it prevents a felon from getting a gun great that is what it is supposed to do. In my state those with a CCW don't even have to do the NICS so the point is mute.

There will always be records. Manufacture to wholesaler, wholesaler to dealer, dealer to you it is a simple fact of business.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'm anti registration and it's one of the reasons I'm glad to be a Texan.

That being said, if any of the 3 lettered agencies want to know if you own a gun, they'll find out one way or another. After all, the carry permit you obtained wasn't to carry a baseball bat. With the freedom permitted with person to person sales, there's no way anyone can prove you still own the firearm you bought from the gun store anyways. Just sayin...

If the .gov can't keep up with all the registered sex offenders and prevent illegal aliens from crossing the border every day, I'm not too worried about them tracking gun owners.

One thing to be watchful of, how many times in these different forums did someone buy a firearm face to face, only to find out the firearm was stolen or used in a crime?
    Before buying anything, have the serial number checked by someone in law enforcement or you may spend some time in jail.

Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links