If handguns are the problem, why is banning semi-auto rifles the solution?

This is a discussion on If handguns are the problem, why is banning semi-auto rifles the solution? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlr1m They make perfect sense to me. They know that a total ban on weapons starting this moment would never stand a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: If handguns are the problem, why is banning semi-auto rifles the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    They make perfect sense to me. They know that a total ban on weapons starting this moment would never stand a chance of working. The backlash would be tremendous. Their method of going after small portions of weapons at a time is the way to go. Notice that they do not go after the items that mainstream hunters or sportsmen use but instead they concentrate on small items that do not have massive support.
    Bayonet lugs? We can give that up. My deer rifle or duck gun don't need one.
    Thirty round mags? If you can't hit a deer with one shot you shouldn't be hunting.
    Machine guns? The Constitution was never meant to allow anything but muskets.

Gun control advocates know exactly what they are doing. They know that taking away someones liberties needs to be done slowly in a way that does not at first appear to directly harm the majority of people who own weapons.
    This is done the same way you would eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Michael
    Oh, I agree with you. I should have been more clear: None of the anti-gun actions make any sense to anyone else.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Thanks Dave.
    As always, great work exposing the mind-numbed fools we refer to as anti-gun nuts.
    Thanks

Here's a follow-up.

Why gun prohibitionists have lost traction, relevance

One might think that after years of practice, the gun prohibition lobby would understand that worn out platitudes and broad brush wish lists packaged as a canned response to some new violent outrage no longer get any serious traction with the public.

Why gun prohibitionists have lost traction, relevance - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Dave,

I appreciate your preaching... to the choir.

Many of the folks that I come up against that are so anti.. simply do not have a clue... They don't know the difference between an assault rifle and a Glock... a semi automatic or a revolver... Some want to ban all "military" weapons... that would include shotguns and handguns too, I suppose...

They want to make it harder to get guns.. they want to make it harder to change ... ahem... clips... they want to limit rounds in a mag to 30 for rifles; and what, 10 for handguns..?

But one of the "funniest" (hmmm... not ha ha) things that one said to me... when I explained to her the myriad ways you cannot legislate inanimate objects, gun laws are useless, "Gun Free Zones" are ironic folly... she responded with "Laws don't mean anything, I mean, if murder were not illegal, there are lots of people that would be on my list..."

Well, there's one gal I don't want to have any guns... and probably at the root of why she's so anti... she probably doesn't trust herself...

Deep rooted animosity towards "evil guns" is bred of some other root cause.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Dave,

I appreciate your preaching... to the choir.
    Well, it's not "preaching to the choir" because I have a pretty broad readership. However (comma), I know a fair number of folks will utilize the arguments or information they glean from my screed to carry on their own preaching missions to the vast unscrubbed.

And that works for me.

I'm amazed at some of the folks who read my junk that's been forwarded to them by a gunnie.

Distinguished Member
    I think violence in the media is the problem. Music, TV and movies glamorize thug life. Plain and simple the kids growing up get the tattoos, drugs, join gangs, guns to look big time to friends and foes as it is in the media.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links