What they think of gun ownership in America "Down Under"

This is a discussion on What they think of gun ownership in America "Down Under" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I write often to the local press (I retired to Australia in 99/00, and am a dual citizen, and continue to vote Republican in US ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: What they think of gun ownership in America "Down Under"

What they think of gun ownership in America "Down Under"

I write often to the local press (I retired to Australia in 99/00, and am a dual citizen, and continue to vote Republican in US Federal elections), and today's "letter to the Editor" shows I'm at my wits end with this lot after nearly 15 years.

I generally post here on DC on the holster forum, because that's my background, and this is my first post elsewhere on DC.

I wrote, to the Editor of The Australian newspaper:

"Dear Editor:

I have written to you on this subject before - your newspaper's coverage of gun ownership in the U.S. - and today's culprit is Greg Sheridan's column "Four Things I Hate about America".

Now, today I feel especially liberated to write, having two days ago been told "you'll never be an Australian" by a customer (I work for a large retailer), and yesterday after saying to a young lady in queue at the petrol station, "We're going well with the Gold in the Olympics" after Mears' and Pearson's overnight wins, to which she responded, "Well, YOU are"; both solely based on my Yank accent ("No, no, Australia!", said I, explaining belatedly).

I do like Sheridan's columns, but please, Australians, DO get over telling us Yanks your opinion about American gun ownership. A, it's none of your business. And B, you don't know what you're talking about; that is, you have no facts. And C, it's not our OPINIONS that matter in this case, but our KNOWLEDGE.

Remember, Australus Horribilus is merely an outpost of civilisation. No, our countries are not equally young. The America you see today started in 1600, not 1800 as with Australia (I'm rounding off); and by 1800 we'd thrown off our British masters while Australia was only just starting out. By 1900, when Australia had well and truly established its White Australia policy, America had set minorities free through a Civil War (and yes, guns were used). By 1939, while Australia was worrying about what the Japs were going to do to them, and had a standing army so small that it couldn't have hosted its OWN civil war, suddenly Yanks were their new BFFs. Remember why Australia is called the "lucky country", then have a look at Gillard et. al, and hang your heads in shame.

Gun ownership in America: I've brought to your newspaper's attention before, the decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in Heller (2008) and MacDonald (2010) that gun ownership in America was affirmed (not granted) by the Second Amendment TO PROTECT AMERICANS FROM THEIR GOVERNMENT, and that despite its nomenclature, is an original part of the original Constitution, not an add-on. When an Australian, such as Sheridan, doesn't know that, he can't understand why guns are part of American society (not "culture"). And in those decisions, the point was made that the founders specifically contemplated that these weapons would be the latest military arms. AND, that one could not hold that the First Amendment applied to the States, without holding that the Second did, to. Remember the First; it has nothing to do with you Skips, but it's what we Yanks call "freedom of the press", something Labor looks to be trying to take from you lot. AND, it was the very Amendment (the Fourteenth) we created for black Americans that the Court decided made the Second Amendment apply not just to the Feds, but to the States as well.

So, when you all get around to establishing a REAL civilisation, let us Yanks know. Because if my bit of citizenship paper from Australia counts for naught with the locals, we Yanks sure as Hell don't give a rats about what you think about our laws. We both know that, when Britain said, "Yer on yer own, mate" at Federation, without the Yanks in the 40s you'd be speaking Japanese, and without the Yanks in the 00s you'd be praying to the East -- and we did it with guns.

Cheers!

Red Nichols"

Some of that won't make sense to readers here on DC (lucky country, white Australia policy, prime minister Gillard).
    Red (Richard) Nichols

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Well said!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Senior Moderator
    At some point in the future the Australians will wish they had their guns back when the Chinese invade.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You're right about one thing, I could care less what Australia thinks about our gun laws.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Very well done sir. Did you get a response or it published in the paper in the letters to the editor column?
    ArmyMan likes this.

All those criminals and no guns? I kid.

We definitely do not care what they think.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well written.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    At some point in the future the Australians will wish they had their guns back when the Chinese invade.
    Your letting the little secret out of the bag about the Chinese.. We have to be careful....
    ArmyMan and First Sgt like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Woah woah easy! It's all ok though. They won't invade with firearms if they a not allowed. Don't they just have to be "posted" every 500 ft or something along the coast?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Sounds like you gave them a good piece of your mind. Did they print your letter?
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Good on ya' mate!
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Good job red.

I have a feeling some Aussies were thinking it, but YOU had the cojones to say it.

Just tell them the WHOLE world sucks, but the U S of A sucks less.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Well written!
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So many countries; so many short memories.
    ccw9mm, msgt/ret and ArmyMan like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Given their current state, the Kiwis could probably overrun them...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links