what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? - Page 2

what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

This is a discussion on what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They tell kids alcohol and tobacco are drugs! This leads me to believe the 2A is not getting a fair shake. These issues should not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    They tell kids alcohol and tobacco are drugs! This leads me to believe the 2A is not getting a fair shake. These issues should not be discussed with our children. That's not what I'm paying them for!
    iblearning likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    They can't even get history right. Flat out lies at times. Don't get me started!
    mano3 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Yeah, not the like idea of an armed populace is why this country is as free as it is today or anything. There is no part of the 2a that is politically incorrect. Guns are not politically incorrect. Oh Sig...
    I didn't say 2a was a politically incorrect subject but it is a sensitive subject to many parents. They DO teach it but don't expect them to elaborate on the subject since there can be much negativity which could arise. The same way they teach evolution...another subject they need to remain politically correct or parents will be up in arms.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    How can you effectively teach the 2nd amendment when schools expel kids for drawing guns or making the shape of a gun with their fingers?

My kids don't even get "social studies" most years. The focus is on reading and math because that is what is on the state test. Science is tested in 5th and 7th grades so those years they get jam packed with all the science they didn't get taught previous years. After the test in the spring, they may get some social studies instruction the remainder of the school year, but it's not much, it's not tested, doesn't translate into school grades or funding so it's not a priority.

A couple years ago, while driving home from the bus stop, my oldest son informed me that I was at high risk to die from AIDS. (He was in the 5th grade at the time) I slammed on the breaks and said "EXCUSE ME?!" He goes on to say because I am a drug user, I am at high risk to die from AIDS. With a deep breath I ask just what drugs exactly I use that put me at such risk. He answers "cigarettes" So I went on to educate him on the real high risk behaviors and the difference between those and cigarettes. I was not amused. Yeah, if the public school system can't teach the facts right, I'd rather they steer clear of the whole subject. I doubt I'd agree on how they'd teach 2A either so I'll take care of that one here at home too.

There is a growing segment of the population that has kids, and the kids are a burden to those that had them.

I don't know how to explain it better than that.

If I made you angry with what I wrote, that means you are not part of that group. Most families are not in that group at this time. I hope it stays that way.

The biggest thing I've seen is kids left to themselves who are taught nothing. Or next to nothing by their parents. These are the kids oftentimes doing things that many adults have never done with one another. The ones that don't emulate their parent/parents/step-parent(s) bad examples and are trying to better themselves spend a lot of time outside of the school day at school (if they can) because it's a safe place for them to be. The high school I work at had 11 kids, a record high for us, at Christmas time that were homeless, by choice, yet had perfect, or near perfect, attendance despite their living out of a car.

Sometimes we don't see the darker side of society. Especially those of us here that are typically risk adverse. We tend to avoid the seedier parts of towns, the stores where the clientele are not as honest, and don't stay out late at night if we don't have to. We know that the ugly side is there, but we don't always know how ugly certain aspects can be.

I'd wager that almost 100% of us here would not have been at a theater past midnight that was packed. It's a bigger risk than going to a movie at any time before that. Being armed means being responsible after all. Avoidance can be a good way to stay away from criminals and the issues that they can cause us.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Easy slick. I don't believe Sfury meant you individually. He didn't quote you.

One of the biggest problems facing public schools today is overall parental involvement. There are too many parents who send their kids off and never look over homework, ask their kids what they learned today, or get involved in discipline issues. Many public schools have become daycare through the 12th grade. There are parents who are involved. Unfortunately they are bcoming a bigger and bigger minority.
    No he didn't target me directly so I'll back it down a notch or two. I blame the lack of coffee this morning, which has since been resolved.

As for parental involvement in discipline issues, the parents need to be made aware of those issues. The two times my son was sent to the office for various things, my wife and I NEVER received a phone call or even heard about it. The only reason we found out about it was because we asked him how his day was and he told us that he was sent to the office. I then called the school and spoke with the principal and made it clear to him that under no uncertain terms I EXPECTED a call IMMEDIATELY anytime my children were sent to the office...ya that didn't sink in the first time so it was a case of rinse, lather, and repeat the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    What are the public school systems saying about the second amendment? Public schools play a big part in raising the next generation and let's all be honest tend to be liberal in their view of things. I imagine the 2nd isn't getting the attention it deserves.
    Ask the children. You imagine the 2A is not getting what it deserves in schools? If it's not......you and I are ultimately responsible for that. Maybe you could volunteer on a career day or bring your dad to school day. Make an impression with our youth. Plain and simple........most adults didn't get this part either.......that's why the 2A got dropped from curriculum to start with. Quit worrying about it and make a difference.
    Public schools? I figure they play a big part in a lot of things.....including presidential elections.
    You want me to call one of my local public schools and ask next week? I might do it just to find out myself. I have no children to be shamed or ridiculed by me calling and asking.
    If you don't like what the public schools teach or don't teach, then take some responsibility and teach the children what you think they are lacking.

Public schools are a disgrace and a sham.

My eyes got opened to the truth about eight years ago when my step-daughter's teacher looked me in the eye and said, "I don't really care if they are learning anything, as long as they are happy."

Home schooling gained a student at that moment.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Okay, how to disguise an unintentional double-post....

Oh, I know: I fully agree with myself in the above post.
    W9HDG and atctimmy like this.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    What are the public school systems saying about the second amendment? Public schools play a big part in raising the next generation and let's all be honest tend to be liberal in their view of things. I imagine the 2nd isn't getting the attention it deserves.
    No school has the authority to ban firearms from non-employee adults. All such regulation comes from the State, not the school.

I don't think I've ever experienced or heard of a school offering a political opinion on the matter, though.

VIP Member
    I had to set my kids straight. The teach "selective" American history in public schools. Nothing about the revolutionary war and how it brought about the 2A.
    Very limited WWI & WWII. They teach about the Presidents and Assassination's of Lincoln and JFK. Not much about Korea or Vietnam. But they taught my kids that Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer. Very sad! I am not going to say there is an agenda thats for you to decide.
    W9HDG likes this.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    There are so many teachers, do you honestly believe they are all of a liberal mindset when the population is split 50/50 between conservative and liberal leanings?
    I don't think the problem is their personal leanings. The problem is that teaching a conservative point of view is a good way to end up without a job.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Worry more about why so many more people think that the teachers need to raise their children. If parents did their job, the issues being faced by the teachers, would be far less.
    Amen. As a country we keep pushing parental responsibilities onto teachers and we insist they be held accountable for it. It's crap. If more parents did the parenting teachers could go back to teaching.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

As a former public school teacher I can say that in my experience there is no prescribed teaching in regards to the 2nd Amendment.

It is really up to the individual teacher regarding how much they want to or don't want to address the 2nd Amendment.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Amen. As a country we keep pushing parental responsibilities onto teachers and we insist they be held accountable for it. It's crap. If more parents did the parenting teachers could go back to teaching.
    Thank you! I left teaching because I was not truly teaching. I was babysitting a bunch of kids so their parents didn't have to deal with them. A majority of time in the classroom nowadays is spent managing the class, not teaching them.

I could go on and on but I'd rather keep my blood pressure down.
    jumpwing likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links