what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? - Page 3

what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

This is a discussion on what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me say that I'm a history Major right now and possibly going into politics (firm constitutionalist here) and I had a discussion with one ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

Let me say that I'm a history Major right now and possibly going into politics (firm constitutionalist here) and I had a discussion with one of my professors about this very issue. He is pro 2a and thinks that licensed carry should be allowed on public college campus's. I then got into a discussion with my sociology professor right after she showed us "bowling for Columbine" and everyone got all anti gun all of a sudden from that movie. I got her to show "Michael Moore hates America" to debunk all that garbage that was in the original film. I ended with "Well Dr. XXXX, My firearms must be well trained since none of them have jumped out of the safe and went on a shooting spree" she looked at me perplexed and asked what I meant by it. I told her that it's not the firearm, it's the person behind the firearm. She seemed open to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Let me say that I'm a history Major right now and possibly going into politics (firm constitutionalist here) and I had a discussion with one of my professors about this very issue. He is pro 2a and thinks that licensed carry should be allowed on public college campus's. I then got into a discussion with my sociology professor right after she showed us "bowling for Columbine" and everyone got all anti gun all of a sudden from that movie. I got her to show "Michael Moore hates America" to debunk all that garbage that was in the original film. I ended with "Well Dr. XXXX, My firearms must be well trained since none of them have jumped out of the safe and went on a shooting spree" she looked at me perplexed and asked what I meant by it. I told her that it's not the firearm, it's the person behind the firearm. She seemed open to the idea.
    Good people will always be good people, they don't need a permit to be good.

Bad people will always be bad people, and no law can stop them.

A big part of the fight is not to act like a 70's anti war jerk were you scream and yell, be nice, forthcoming and use facts. If they don't want to open up at all just leave it be.

Don't use your 1st Amendment rights to take away my 2nd Amendment rights.

Distinguished Member
    We home school because we have more control over what is taught and how. However, I must say, we have done a pretty good job with our daughter (my oldest and currently 15) because when she was in public school only a few years ago, she didn't just accept what they said. She intelligently challenged what they said. And a few of the conversations she let us know that occurred, she made me very proud.
    WHEC724 and babarock like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It is not my church's responsibility to teach my kids about God and it is not the public school's responsibility to teach my kids everything else. It is mine and my wife's responsibility. We may allow some institutions to help us, but the final responsibility is ours.

Too many people forget this.

I don't recall being taught much of anything about the 2A, or really the Constitution in general. I remember when I was in the 6th grade we had a discussion about the British handgun laws they were then passing (I believe that was when they restricted handguns to .22LR only, before the total ban). Overall, while I was going to NYS public school I encountered a lot of really good teachers, and some terrible ones. The excellent individual teachers can only go so far in today's increasingly centralized educational-industrial complex. I believe that the more local we make it the better off our system will be, and the more those teachers that deserve to truly shine can do so. As far as the 2A goes, those who are truly anti-gun like that probably do us a favor by simply keeping their mouths shut. The only thing worse would be for them to teach our kids what they really think about it.

what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?
    As little as possible, if anything. Sad but true.

As the saying goes ... When you've got 'em by the short ones, the hearts and minds will follow. Do that young enough and for long enough, and a misgoverning few has every chance of sealing the future fate of a society.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Public schools are a disgrace and a sham.

My eyes got opened to the truth about eight years ago when my step-daughter's teacher looked me in the eye and said, "I don't really care if they are learning anything, as long as they are happy."

Home schooling gained a student at that moment.
    Or the teachers union rep that said something like "I don't care about the kids until they become members of the teachers union".

Daughter has been home schooled since day 1.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

It wouldn't surprise me if they do not say the Pledge of Allegiance in some schools because it might offend other religions, there is a school in New York that is not allowed to sing pro American songs because it will offend people from other countries, how things have changed in this country years ago when people came into this country they wanted to become Americans and become part of this country, but things have changed today now when they come here they want this country to change and become part of their culture, and it is happening for quite a while now, some places are not even allowed to put up a Christmas tree because it might offend other religions, you know that old expression if ((it ain't broke don't fix it)) well evidently they have been trying to fix this country and turn it into something else, and they have succeeded, and as far as that person who said something to the effect about the parents should be doing their job and teaching the Second Amendment , that would be true but what you have to realize is that not all parents are second amendment people they might not be anti-gun but the second amendment is the furthest thing from their mind they probably do not have a firearm in their house and feel no need for one and not concerned about teaching the second amendment to their children , but if the schools had to teach the Second Amendment then all the children would have a chance to at least understand why the Second Amendment is there and how important it could be to them then those children could decide how important that second amendment is to them and not have to rely on their parents teaching them isn't that kind of why we have school to begin with, and I am sure our government is influencing the schools what to teach. Like the old expression out of sight out of mind and when it becomes out of mine for a long time things get lost forever.

VIP Member
    My wife teaches at a Jr. High (8th grade) US History 1, from the Revolutionary War through Reconstruction. She loves this part of history and works hard to make it interesting to the students. I have asked what she teaches regarding the 2nd Amendment and have helped her elaborate some.

Around here, it is a (mostly) gun friendly environment, so teaching about 2A is not going against the norm. She goes as far as to teach them that private citizens can own, and carry guns everyday. She informs the students about what it takes to get a Utah CFP and what it allows one to do. She also teaches just a little about Utah gun laws and that open carry is legal, and that even carry into schools is legal with a Utah CFP.

I appreciate how she teaches it, and she even lets me come sometimes during these lessons to answer questions the students may have. The schools aren't all bad when it comes to teaching about 2A.
    Rock and Glock and RKflorida like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

How do folks want the schools to teach the 2nd A, or for that matter the rest of the Constitution? We all have our own personal views on it and even folks on this forum have disagreements on it and we are pro 2A and pro gun. SCOTUS is split on it. Decisions have gone back and forth over the years by professional Constitutional scholars. So how do you want the 2A presented to a class by a first year teacher with a bachelors degree?

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's an issue not discussed.

There are so many teachers, do you honestly believe they are all of a liberal mindset when the population is split 50/50 between conservative and liberal leanings?

Worry more about why so many more people think that the teachers need to raise their children. If parents did their job, the issues being faced by the teachers, would be far less.

I work for the local school district, but am not a teacher.
    That is not logical since teachers are a subset of the general population. I've met several hundred and I would put the percent liberal at 80%. They do not reflect the general population. Considering how liberal the education establishment is I would doubt that the 2nd amendment is even mentioned other than for an emergency militia.

So how do you want the 2A presented to a class by a first year teacher with a bachelors degree?
    In an age appropriate manner, which for virtually all would not include any of the details you mention. Think about how an encyclopedia begins simply, and then progresses with more and more details, becoming, in the better ones, very complex. Most K-12 never get too far past the rudiments in social studies.

At the Collegiate level it is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    In an age appropriate manner, which for virtually all would not include any of the details you mention. Think about how an encyclopedia begins simply, and then progresses with more and more details, becoming, in the better ones, very complex. Most K-12 never get too far past the rudiments in social studies.

At the Collegiate level it is a different matter.
    I agree. Guess what I was getting at is that some folks would not be happy unless it was taught that everyone should be allowed to have a gun wherever they go with no infringement by the government to include fees for CCP's. Other's would not be happy unless it was taught that only firearms that are to be used by a well regulated militia should be allowed and that they can not leave the house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links