what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

This is a discussion on what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree that there's no way to teach it and make everyone happy. My thought is to just teach what it says, perhaps get a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

VIP Member
    I agree that there's no way to teach it and make everyone happy. My thought is to just teach what it says, perhaps get a little into the definitions of some of the less common words. Then, teach what the state and local laws are. Teach what it currently IS, not what we want it to be. Everyone can agree that the current laws are the way they are. So teach what it means right now. We can always continue to work to make the future better, and deal with what we have now.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How do folks want the schools to teach the 2nd A, or for that matter the rest of the Constitution? So how do you want the 2A presented to a class by a first year teacher with a bachelors degree?
    If I could wake up one day and have it my way, it would be something like this ...

Start with a basic overview of "community" and what it entails, in all its variety. Any 6yr old child can follow that discussion. Expand it to appreciate what the states were trying to do, as communities. Get into an overview of the originating states and why they basically were created, what the sort of people who populated them were seeking, the differences between them. Cover basic elements of the Declaration and the Constitution, filling in with basic explanatory elements from the Federalist Papers and other period writings. Everything up to this level should, IMO, pretty much stick to the facts of what was put into stone, what was written in the supporting debates/documents.

The next step would be when kids are at the level of "debate" style coursework, at which point the should/shouldn't evaluations, interpretations, SCOTUS and case law could all be introduced, though that level would presume a higher degree of intelligence and background from the instructor.

It would have to avoid the "revisionist" (PC) style textbooks that seek to slant the message. The "slanting" should be at the higher levels and entail focusing on the should/shouldn't justifications from the original writings and debates of the time. The capstone would be a "debates" style sequence of coverage focusing on the changes since Founding.
    peckman28 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    They don't even say the pledge of allegiance all that often anymore

I know, and it's disgusting.

Since when did it become 'un-cool' to love your country and flag?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If I could wake up one day and have it my way, it would be something like this ...

Start with a basic overview of "community" and what it entails, in all its variety. Any 6yr old child can follow that discussion. Expand it to appreciate what the states were trying to do, as communities. Get into an overview of the originating states and why they basically were created, what the sort of people who populated them were seeking, the differences between them. Cover basic elements of the Declaration and the Constitution, filling in with basic explanatory elements from the Federalist Papers and other period writings. Everything up to this level should, IMO, pretty much stick to the facts of what was put into stone, what was written in the supporting debates/documents.

The next step would be when kids are at the level of "debate" style coursework, at which point the should/shouldn't evaluations, interpretations, SCOTUS and case law could all be introduced, though that level would presume a higher degree of intelligence and background from the instructor.

It would have to avoid the "revisionist" (PC) style textbooks that seek to slant the message. The "slanting" should be at the higher levels and entail focusing on the should/shouldn't justifications from the original writings and debates of the time. The capstone would be a "debates" style sequence of coverage focusing on the changes since Founding.
    That would be a far better way of teaching history than we have right now.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Since government public schools are blatantly unconstitutional it shouldn't matter what they say.

And if I had my way the dept of education would be eradicated from the top down.

Public schools are the very main reason so many, almost the entire population, is completely mind numbingly sheepish, blind, deaf, unable to think as an individual, and completely complacent to government propaganda and misinformation mind control programming.

The reason "GUNS ARE BAD" is because children for the last 2 generations have been taught so.

I graduated high school 12+ years ago and I cant remember a single thing they taught about the Constitution. I had to learn that my self. Not even the military taught me what the Constitution was. It is truly the enemy of the state and unfortunately the military has members of the state that would rather see it abolished.

And hey the "good news" for all of you that wish to see America become a 3rd world country...... you are winning! sigh ...

and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    I know, and it's disgusting.

Since when did it become 'un-cool' to love your country and flag?

Because of this:

-Since we allowed the Bankers to take over our government inside and out.
    -Since we allowed the institution of the Federal Reserve. A private banker owned institution who takes our money through force of the illegitimate IRS thug criminals in the name of a tax. They are not collecting taxes, they are collecting money for banks at an interest that was printed out of thin air and loaned to the congress who generates NOTHING of value.
    -Since we establish the US Dollar as the form of world currency at the Breton Woods convention instead of the gold standard.
    -Since we allowed the establishment of the National Security Agency
    -Since we allowed the unconstitutional implementation of the US DEPT of Education and Energy and Homeland Security and TSA and .... my god the list goes on.

I can keep going on and on and on but my question is the following:

What are we pledging allegiance too anymore? The constitution with absolute certainty willing to defend it to the very death, or are we pledging to a promise to support and defend the Bankers, Lobbyist, Communist, Republicans, Democrats, Congress full of criminal inside trading murderous thugs, Bankers again, Corporatism, Crony Capatalism under the guise of free market, which we no longer posses, the Illegal IRS, the Illegal Federal Reserve...
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

....The FBI.... the CIA.... the FTC... the NSA.... the .... US Marshalls.... the US Federal Police service.....

Hell how about we just use this list of 100% illegitimate unauthorized unconstitutional government agencies...

A-Z Index of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies (A) | USA.gov

The whole reason for the federal government is to protect our borders from outside invasion, offer a place for state representatives to meet to discuss the needs of the citizens of their respectful state in the union and that is about it.

We have lost our country the first time we created a Government agency or organization other than the 3 branches of Govt exclusively listed in the US Const.

In fact the white house is illegitimate as this country was not founded in DC it was founded in Philadelphia where it should be located.

God im ranting ... HUD ... what the heck is HUD for? I mean c'mon people?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Not saying that the FBI, CIA and NSA have not overstepped their bounds and charters but they were formed during the cold war when it was beleived the Soviet Union was a real threat to the US and we needed Intelligence Agencies that could help our defense of our border by providing intelligence. Intelligence Preperation Of the Battlefield is as old for the defense of a country as there has been military's. So under your premise that the federal government is there to protect our borders...what is wrong with intelligence agencies assuming that they follow the law and their charters.

And please, no history lesson on the roots of the CIA and NSA,,,I know them, probably much more than you do.

They don't really teach any of the high value stuff needed to make a good citizen anymore!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

We watched "Bowling For Columbine" in my history class as well as "Roger and Me." Need I say more?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    And please, no history lesson on the roots of the CIA and NSA,,,I know them, probably much more than you do.
    Boy that is quite an assumption you make there.

But it is not important to discuss none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Boy that is quite an assumption you make there.

But it is not important to discuss none the less.
    I forgot the smiley faces...it was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    We watched "Bowling For Columbine" in my history class....
    I forced myself to watch Bowling for Columbine....I honestly have no idea what it was supposed to be about.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I forced myself to watch Bowling for Columbine....I honestly have no idea what it was supposed to be about.
    Does anyone really know what Michael Moore is about?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's an issue not discussed.

There are so many teachers, do you honestly believe they are all of a liberal mindset when the population is split 50/50 between conservative and liberal leanings?

Worry more about why so many more people think that the teachers need to raise their children. If parents did their job, the issues being faced by the teachers, would be far less.

I work for the local school district, but am not a teacher.

In my experience, more teachers are liberal than conservative. I even had one growing up that pitched a fit when he heard us talking about a guy's new AR. Asked us why in the hell anyone needed one of those things. We all responded with, "Because they're cool." He was kind of an idiot anyway. Over 50 years old, still living with his Mom, and been on ONE date his entire life (this was directly from his mouth). Needless to say, not many of us did very good in that class.

I did have a 7th grade history teacher that taught a little about the 2A. Not a whole lot, but it WAS discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Does anyone really know what Michael Moore is about?
    After sitting through the utter filth that was Capitalism: A Love Story, I think it's quite clear what he's about.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links