what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

This is a discussion on what do schools say about the 2nd amendment? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the public school systems saying about the second amendment? Public schools play a big part in raising the next generation and let's all ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: what do schools say about the 2nd amendment?

What are the public school systems saying about the second amendment? Public schools play a big part in raising the next generation and let's all be honest tend to be liberal in their view of things. I imagine the 2nd isn't getting the attention it deserves.

I've had to set my 8 yr. right on a lot of things concerning this country and what it means to be American. They don't even say the pledge of allegiance all that often anymore

It's an issue not discussed.

There are so many teachers, do you honestly believe they are all of a liberal mindset when the population is split 50/50 between conservative and liberal leanings?

Worry more about why so many more people think that the teachers need to raise their children. If parents did their job, the issues being faced by the teachers, would be far less.

I work for the local school district, but am not a teacher.
    rammerjammer, jem102 and vca2004 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    If parents did their job, the issues being faced by the teachers, would be far less.
    I'm going to pretend that you did not imply that I am not doing my job as a parent there...

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    population is split 50/50 between conservative and liberal leanings?
    I firmly believe that there are actually a lot more conservatives than there are liberals with the split being more like 75/25 or greater. The reason the liberals even have a voice is because of the silent majority that is not involved. Also in my experience government run institutions like schools, and universities tend to be very liberal.
    iblearning, mano3 and QKShooter like this.

2A is rarely taught in school.

When it is, it's taught as a relic of the 18th and 19th century. One that doesn't apply anymore because there are no need of militia.

Oh, and that militias are also inherently evil, racist, rebellious, conspiratorial, etc etc.

This is based on little things that I've read and heard over the years by those in the public school system.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    iblearning likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Our district refuses to respond to any question about what is taught in the school system. They will give you a two page statement . That in a fancy way tells you to mind your own business and leave the schools to them.

Recently I heard of a local teacher getting in a jam for spending too much time teaching about Pearl Harbor. My daughter is taking American History this year, could be interesting.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    2A is rarely taught in school.

When it is, it's taught as a relic of the 18th and 19th century. One that doesn't apply anymore because there are no need of militia.

Oh, and that militias are also inherently evil, racist, rebellious, conspiratorial, etc etc.

This is based on little things that I've read and heard over the years by those in the public school system.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    That's pretty much what I was taught in public school.

Sent from my palm device.. so please excuse any typos.
    iblearning likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    My kid goes to private school, and even though it instills many of the values and beliefs that I prefer, they are still way out on the left.

A few years ago, my son brought home paperwork talking about how drugs, alcohol, smoking and guns are bad. That turned out to be a wonderful teachable experience as we explored the subject together, I started taking him shooting with me, and he then caught the 'bug' and is now costing me a fortune in guns & ammo every birthday and Christmas.

I view the educational system as a very useful tool in my arsenal for raising my son. Fortunately, he's smart enough to recognize the when he sees it and come talk to me about it.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've been out of school for 10 years but I don't recall getting much teaching regarding the 2nd Amendment. I certainly didn't have an opinion about firearms based on what I heard from school.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    When I was in school (not too terribly long ago myself) the only thing about the 2A we were taught is that it exists. Of course, that was only a few years after the 'Columbine Incident'. So... yeah. I was also told that the flimsy, tiny little chain on my pocket watch (I wore it one day when I was in slacks and a full button shirt) wasn't allowed, and that that school didn't allow kids to carry backpacks during the school day.

But, we were taught everything else about the others. The who, what, where, why, and how. -Not that I remember any of it now..

Also, one of the classes I had to take was SC History. And, it pretty much talked about slavery. Slavery, a little bit of Civil War, and an even smaller discussion of how our state fits into the 'big picture' of the U.S. I hated every minute of it; which was surprising given my love of history.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I'm going to pretend that you did not imply that I am not doing my job as a parent there...

I firmly believe that there are actually a lot more conservatives than there are liberals with the split being more like 75/25 or greater. The reason the liberals even have a voice is because of the silent majority that is not involved. Also in my experience government run institutions like schools, and universities tend to be very liberal.
    Easy slick. I don't believe Sfury meant you individually. He didn't quote you.

One of the biggest problems facing public schools today is overall parental involvement. There are too many parents who send their kids off and never look over homework, ask their kids what they learned today, or get involved in discipline issues. Many public schools have become daycare through the 12th grade. There are parents who are involved. Unfortunately they are bcoming a bigger and bigger minority.

In MO there was an item on the recent election ballot that was mostly to protect a person's right to prayer in public. But there was a part of the amendment that was worded "that all public schools shall display the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution". This amendment has been passing with about 85% approval statewide I believe.

Schools need to remain politically correct. They, of course, teach about the 2a but don't expect them to elaborate on the subject.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Schools need to remain politically correct. They, of course, teach about the 2a but don't expect them to elaborate on the subject.
    Yeah, not the like idea of an armed populace is why this country is as free as it is today or anything. There is no part of the 2a that is politically incorrect. Guns are not politically incorrect. Oh Sig...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links