Paul Ryan's position on guns? - Page 3

Paul Ryan's position on guns?

This is a discussion on Paul Ryan's position on guns? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Crowman Paul Ryan on Gun Control Paul Ryan on Gun Control Paul Ryan on The Second Amendment The only vote I take ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Paul Ryan's position on guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The only vote I take a difference with is Paul Ryan's support for Gun Show Background Checks. There's no need for the additional rule. It's my experience that most vendors at gun shows are the big-name dealers who already have to perform an NCIS check as per their federal firearms license. Also, private sellers aren't required to do a background check since private sellers don't have a federal firearms license. I don't see how selling at a gun show magically confirs additional responsibilities upon the seller.

Kudos for supporting the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, though. I know that's another hot-topic for die-hard supporters of state's rights, but imo this is a valid function of the federal government.

VIP Member
    I've known Rep. Ryan for years. He is about as firmly in the pro-gun camp as one can be. I'm sure both campaigns will be pointing that out shortly. His position will tend to make the right happy and the left unhappy, which is good for motivating both bases I suppose.

I'm not discussing the politics of this one way or the other, but don't pay any attention to any article that says Ryan follows Ayn Rand's philosophy. He has stated quite firmly that he is not an objectivist due to his belief that it forces all human interaction to be nothing more than a contractual relationship... and of course the fact he believes in God also tends to put him outside of Rand's view.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I like Paul Ryan. He is a sportsman. He is a pro-gun/pro-2A guy for sure.

As an aside, Romney announced him as his running mate infront of USS Wisconsin, BB-64. That happens to be my first ship in the Navy. I am a Plankowner (member of a commissioning or re-commissioning crew) on USS Wisconsin. It was very nice to see my old ship in the background at the announcement.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    Looks to me he's Pro gun..
    Then why did he vote "YEA" on the 24 Background check and trigger locks?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was concerned about Romney when he was Gov of Mass and banned some firearms etc,with this guy whispering in his ear I feel a whole lot better
    I disagree. We know Romney is a staunch anti-gun person and we know that Obama has furthered gun rights more than any other POTUS in recent history by allowing guns in Federal parks. I don't trust Romney as he seems to be snake and thus I won't vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    ... and we know that Obama has furthered gun rights more than any other POTUS in recent history by allowing guns in Federal parks.
    We know the signing of the "credit card" legislation had the hanger-on rider attached to allow carry in National Parks, yes. But I wouldn't call that working hard on behalf of gun rights anymore than I'd consider a stubbed toe on a battlefield a combat wound.

Reality is, as evidenced by the signing of the ccard/NP bill, congress creates law. The chief exec can only sign/veto it, and congress can still ram it through if it sees fit. Congress was the source of the "furthering" of 2A/NP carry rights, in this case.

The two ticket leaders have a stiff anti-gun record, both of them. As for whom I would trust to continue being anti-gun: both of them.
    Sig35seven and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As many of you know, I've been writing about Mr. Ryan for a few days in my Examiner column and he's an "A" rated guy by both NRA and GOA.
    He's a gun hunter as well as a bowhunter, and actually makes his own venison sausage. Show me anybody else on Capitol Hill who does that.

He supports concealed carry, and being from Wisconsin, he's only had since last November to enjoy that as a resident cheesehead.

I am going to try to get a quick interview with him, but that's a crap shoot at this point.

Can't think of a reason why gun owners would be worried about him.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Be careful supporting "Hunters" as Pro 2A. Single shot, 5 round mag/weapon capacity, and black powder. That is about all most of them feel you need.

I know how to hunt, I have hunted (archery), I just don't. I don't see the sport in taking a game animal from 200+ yards with a high powered rifle and a 30x scope.

I do however love long range rifle shooting and IDPA. I also believe in everyone should have the best available weapon on hand for defense of self, family, and property (I wish CO had a TX sundown trespassing law).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I see this as a net-positive for RKBA... but remember that Romney isn't exactly pro-gun. My only hope is that he'll toe the party line a bit as Pres, and having Ryan whispering pro-gun sentiments in Romney's ear is better than Big-Freaking-Deal-Biden whispering anti-gun stuff into the ear of a Pres who is more Anti than Romney.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I disagree. We know Romney is a staunch anti-gun person and we know that Obama has furthered gun rights more than any other POTUS in recent history by allowing guns in Federal parks. I don't trust Romney as he seems to be snake and thus I won't vote for him.
    Do you really believe that Obama is pro-gun? I know that is not what you said, but it is more than implied by your statement.

As to Romney, he may not have been a friend to gun owners in MA, but he knows his constituency, and if any bill came to the desk of the POTUS, I would trust Romney a whole lot more than Obama to make the right decision. I may not like everything Romney stands for, but a vote for Obama is a way to be sure that any anti-gun bill that gets there, gets signed.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Be careful supporting "Hunters" as Pro 2A. Single shot, 5 round mag/weapon capacity, and black powder. That is about all most of them feel you need.
    I understand your sentiment on this issue, but from what I can tell, he understands the purpose of the 2A. I can't find where right now, but I thought I remembere reading where he said the 2A was about protecting ourselves from an oppressive govt. The second link above about the 2A stated this:

"Congressman Ryan has also co-sponsored legislation to ensure second amendment rights to people in DC. When the supreme court ruled that the DC handgun ban was illegal, Congressman Ryan reacted by stating that it was a landmark affirmation of our constitutional rights over a law that had stripped citizens of their right to keep and bear arms."

Not many of the people in DC will be using their arms for hunting, so it sounds like he understands.
    Walk softly ...

Romney and Obama are both career politicians. They will do as they are told.
    I was curious about this Paul Ryan. Thanks for the info. I hardly have time to dig through the news myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    The only vote I take a difference with is Paul Ryan's support for Gun Show Background Checks. There's no need for the additional rule. It's my experience that most vendors at gun shows are the big-name dealers who already have to perform an NCIS check as per their federal firearms license. Also, private sellers aren't required to do a background check since private sellers don't have a federal firearms license. I don't see how selling at a gun show magically confirs additional responsibilities upon the seller.

Kudos for supporting the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, though. I know that's another hot-topic for die-hard supporters of state's rights, but imo this is a valid function of the federal government.
    The background checks at gun shows will not work unless all private sales of firearms is banned. Those proposing the ban know that. I seem to recall one proposal that addressed that issue and it was shot down when it was found out that it would make grandpa a felon for passing his old family shotgun down to the next generation as a present.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I like Paul Ryan. He is a sportsman. He is a pro-gun/pro-2A guy for sure.

As an aside, Romney announced him as his running mate infront of USS Wisconsin, BB-64. That happens to be my first ship in the Navy. I am a Plankowner (member of a commissioning or re-commissioning crew) on USS Wisconsin. It was very nice to see my old ship in the background at the announcement.
    How does being a sportsman or even a hunter make a person pro 2A? Just because he likes to kill an animal does not mean he respects your right to own an AR or AK. I have plenty of 'sportsman' friends who do not believe I should be able to have twenty five pounds of black powder delivered to my door by commercial carrier every year.

You only have to read this forum and others like it to see sportsmen who think their weapon of choice is fine but would have no problem with a ban on what you or I choose to shoot.

Michael
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How does being a sportsman or even a hunter make a person pro 2A? Just because he likes to kill an animal does not mean he respects your right to own an AR or AK. I have plenty of 'sportsman' friends who do not believe I should be able to have twenty five pounds of black powder delivered to my door by commercial carrier every year.

You only have to read this forum and others like it to see sportsmen who think their weapon of choice is fine but would have no problem with a ban on what you or I choose to shoot.

Michael
    I believe that gun owners are the most easily fractured group around. The number of gun owners I've heard support magazine capacity limits boggles my feeble mind. This is the greatest threat to our rights... the Brady Bunch are just taking advantage of our own weaknesses.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links