Where in the 2nd Amendment does it say you can bear arms for personnel protection?

This is a discussion on Where in the 2nd Amendment does it say you can bear arms for personnel protection? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...and "arms" are the modern armament of the day, as used by the modern military.Today that is what some call assault rifles....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Where in the 2nd Amendment does it say you can bear arms for personnel protection?

...and "arms" are the modern armament of the day, as used by the modern military.Today that is what some call assault rifles.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

2. Remove Ads

It says your right shall not be infringed. You have the right to do anything that does not initiate harm against someone else. Since self-defense is, by definition, not an act of aggression, under basic natural law, you have that right. The 2nd Amendment acknowledges this, as the Founders clearly used the natural law theory to guide them as they wrote our Constitution. So in short, since there is no limitation written into the 2A, it is quite clear that it covers self-defense.
    jumpwing, CIBMike and BigStick like this.

The people of the time recognized that there were certain rights that a man is born with that no government gave them, and that none should be able to take away. They were not rights granted by a king, or a government, but rights that existed simply because they existed.

That said, all the 2nd Amendment does is recognize that no US government should be able to take away that right to bear arms because that government did not give us that right to begin with. It is ours by birthright!

What we do with said arms is then determined by our own choice.

The whole "stand your ground" issue arose because some localities attempted to dictate that if a murderous raping scumbag broke into your house, you were required to either run away or submit, or they forbade you the arms to protect yourself because they felt you were either too stupid or too criminal to own arms (like in Washington DC). The people in general have finally started demanding that elected officials (who all have security details) know that this was not going to stand, and that we have the birthright to be as safe and secure in our own lives as possible, that our safety rests in our own hands and means, we have the right to own the arms to secure that safety, and that we will no longer pretend that the police will actually be there to protect any individual, which the courts have already ruled that they do not. Remember, no police officer has any duty to protect any individual, just society in general. Therefore, you must use your birthright to protect yourself and use your birthright to bear arms to do that, if you so wish.

This includes individual criminals, or tyrannical governments when they become criminal.

So, gun grabbers and Supreme Court Justices that are idiots....leave my birthright ALONE!!!!
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

The Pennsylvania constitution says, "the right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned." The PA constitution was written in 1776.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The 2A outlines the primary purpose for its prohibition against government infringement. It does not address "reasons" you may carry because it does not "allow" the right to keep and bear; it protects that right which is deemed inherent.

Other parts of law (usually at the State level) address the manner in which you may legally defend yourself with force.
    oneshot and BigStick like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Isn't it a Natural Right to be able to protect yourself and your family.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    The important thing is that it doesn't say we can't. Read your history. Our founding documents were written to specifiy limits on the government's restriction of our. If it isn't mentioned as a limt, there is no limit. The Bill of Rights was added to specifically protect freedoms.

^^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anything NOT spelled out specifically, means the Government CANNOT stop "the people"

So if the Second Amendment said, "the right of the people to keep and bear ams, but not carry them on their person in public", Then and only then would it be illegal.

Its pretty easy to understand, unless you are an Anti-gun person, who hates the 2nd. Amendment.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Are you a people?
    Since citizen organized militias are publicly non-existent....that takes away the commonality and makes it an individual right until your state government requires your able bodied services to protect it. In effect this means preserving yourself is necessary to the security of a free state.

The 2nd Amendment was ratified on December 17, 1791. I was born on December 17.
    So your over 200 years old...so that explains why your so cranky....
    ExSoldier and baren like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Administrator
    Well, I live in Pennsylvania and it is right there in our PA State Constitution which pre-dates the U.S. one.

Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
    suntzu and Badey like this.

"Arms" aren't collectively wielded. I have yet to see a knife, sword, firearm, club or any other weapon held by a hand be designed to be wielded by 100M people at once. By definition, "arms" that a person would choose to employ include those tools the individual believes would be most advantageous to protect against ... whatever: personnel (in the group sense); personal; protection of others; of property; of rights. All of it.

2A: Inherent right of a person / Shall not be infringed / Specified as a limit on what the governing few are disallowed from attempting / Applies to each and every person / Covering all arms / At all times, everywhere. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is fairly specific, and pretty bloody simple (even for power-mongering twits) to understand.

The fiddling and twiddling the SCOTUS clowns have been doing for 200+ years has simply emboldened the power-mongers and liberty haters to more-brazen steps as time moves on. They've allowed what is specifically disallowed and unlawful, creating the single greatest threat to liberty the People have.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    So now the question is for you history buffs:
    Where in the 2nd Amendment does it say you can bear arms for personnel protection?
    One does not need to be a history buff to answer the question. The 2nd amendment is short and most everyone knows there is no direct reference to personal protection in it.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Took a minute to find some, but I knew they were there. Look to the writers if not to the written word itself.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
    Samuel Adams

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense."
    John Adams (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President A Defense of the Constitution of Government of the United States of America, 1788

"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would. Nor is there anything in the common law of England ... inconsistent with that right."
    John Adams(1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: BOSTON GAZETTE, September 5, 1763, The Works of John Adams, p.438 (Charles F. Adams ed., 1851).
    revldm, OD*, tcox4freedom and 3 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Are you a people?
    Since citizen organized militias are publicly non-existent....that takes away the commonality and makes it an individual right until your state government requires your able bodied services to protect it. In effect this means preserving yourself is necessary to the security of a free state.

The 2nd Amendment was ratified on December 17, 1791. I was born on December 17.
    Actually the State Constitution of Florida makes reference to TWO "militias:" One being the ORGANIZED militia aka the National Guard and the other the UNorganized militia meaning everybody else bearing their personal arms. That's one explanation for the reason why citizens patrolled their own neighborhoods after Hurricane Andrew carrying AR15's and AK47s and stopped to chat with uniformed police officers on a regular basis without being arrested. When order was restored in the actual disaster zone (a tightly constricted area in south Miami-Dade county) they put up their firearms and returned to normalcy. I personally witnessed this phenomenon many times at that time. I was a volunteer with the national guard for two weeks after the storm. At that time I was an infantry captain in the Individual Ready Reserve. After the storm I offered my services (no pay and no points) to the Guard. I'd once been the BMO (Battalion Motor Officer in the 1980s) for this same outfit. I got permission from my control officers in St Louis and went to work. They made me S3 Air and put me in charge of setting up LZs for their air assets all over the county. I got my own "Bird" (UH-1H) and was allowed to carry my own personal 1911 openly, loaded. It was a real thrill to enter the City of Miami Police HQ carrying that weapon and be allowed upstairs for coordinations with them while armed. LOL That was something I'll never forget! A lot of stuff went down back then having to do with unorganized militia acting in self defense against looters!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It doesn't. It states that the people have a right to keep arms. Let's review.
    Right: "being in accordance with what is just, good, or proper", "conforming to facts or truth ", "suitable, appropriate"
    Keep: "to retain in one's possession or power"
    Arms: "Usually, arms. weapons, especially firearms."
    It also states that the people have the right to bear arms.
    Bear: "to be equipped or furnished with", "to move while holding up and supporting", "to support the weight of", "to hold above, on top, or aloft "
    "-bear arms
    1: to carry or possess arms
    2: to serve as a soldier "
    So the 2nd amendment states that 'the people', in accordance with what is just and good, conforming to facts and truth, may suitably and appropriately retain in their possession or power, and be equipped or furnished with, or move while holding up or supporting, or support the weight of or hold above, on top, or aloft, arms, weapons, usually firearms.

There is nothing exclusionary or conditional about the language in the 2nd amendment. The most important part, for that matter, is what IS NOT SAID.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    So your over 200 years old...so that explains why your so cranky....
    Awwww ya beat me to it!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links