I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it in search ...

This is a discussion on I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it in search ... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some food for thought ..... Recent blog posts noted some interesting statistics regarding the the deer license sales in just a handful of states and ...

Thread: I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it in search ...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

Some food for thought .....
    Recent blog posts noted some interesting statistics regarding the the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin.

Allow me to restate that number: Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.
    More men under arms than in Iran.

More than France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin, to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan's 700,000 hunters, all of whom have now returned home safely.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states. It's millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Overall these numbers are true, so if we disregard some assumptions that hunters don't possess the same Skills as soldiers, the question would still remain: What army of 2 million would want to face 30, 40, 50 million armed citizens.

Hunting...it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

This does lend credence to talk of UN Arms Treaty's that threaten to disarm us. That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought, when next we consider gun control.

Links:

Can you guess who has the world's largest army? | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution

America

Let
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

But U.N. treaties do not threaten to disarm us. No matter how much the tin foil hat crowd wants to go on about them it is a matter of settled law.

But now some would have us believe that department of homeland security with it's newly purchased riot gear (not even enough to secure a baseball diamond) is going to subjugate those millions of armed citizens and heard them off into labor camps.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Great post! Glad to hear that my state is so well armed and safe! :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    I understand where you're going with this, and I'd like to agree with you, but I can not.

I know many that hunt but choose not to carry for defensive purposes and would never use a gun in self defense. What % of those hunters would put the gun down rather than point it at a human target? I dare say it would more than half. How many people hunt yet agree with those who would take away semi auto handguns and rifles? What % believes that the 2A is for hunting but not personal protection?

Just some questions to get a discussion going.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I understand where you're going with this, and I'd like to agree with you, but I can not.

I know many that hunt but choose not to carry for defensive purposes and would never use a gun in self defense. What % of those hunters would put the gun down rather than point it at a human target? I dare say it would more than half. How many people hunt yet agree with those who would take away semi auto handguns and rifles? What % believes that the 2A is for hunting but not personal protection?

Probably not a bad guess. It is not the weapon that kills, it is the user. Many users are unwilling to take the life of another human being under almost any circumstances. I take such chain emails and things with a big grain of salt. I do feel proud to live in such a well-armed country, but I would not be happy to encounter a situation where a majority of hunters, in any state, are truly willing to act like an army rather than simply hunters.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    600,000 deer hunters in WI? Just what is a poor deer to do?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    600,000 deer hunters in WI? Just what is a poor deer to do?
    Hope for change and vote for Obama? Maybe Bloomberg as a write in? Sooner or later the guy is ganna make us all vegetarians.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post

These are valid points. Same might be true of the recreational handgun shooter that only owns a few safe queens that are taken to the range once every six months for a little something different to do that day.

I do think that the situation is the key though. If we were truly being overrun by a foreign army, I think it's anybody's guess as to who will stand and fight and who will simply roll over and become a subject of the empire.

One other note to consider though: even if 50% of the hunters and 50% of the hand gun owners choose not to fight, the remaining 50% is still a big number. I look around my neighborhood, and in the 30 or so houses that I can see from my property, I know of 20 households that will stand and fight, and one of those is retired Army special forces and another is a retired Marine. The two of them will whip the rest of us into shape rather quickly.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

One other note: the article was not about whether the 2A stands for hunters or self-defense, it was more about the wholly ingrained belief in this country that we have a right to arms, and that right has no bearing on why you want one it just protects your right to have one if you want it.

Sponsored Links