States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits

This is a discussion on States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, Minnesota doesn't even qualify based on your criteria - not all states require 'concealment', Minnesota doesn't distinguish between concealed or open carry, it's just ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits

Well, Minnesota doesn't even qualify based on your criteria - not all states require 'concealment', Minnesota doesn't distinguish between concealed or open carry, it's just a carry permit, I and prefer it that way.

2. Remove Ads

Hopefully more join those like Vermont who do not need a permit, so the number carrying is not available. Thus giving the bad guys less information and poorer odds of winning a confrontation. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Of all the people I know with Texas CHL's most considor throwing their pistol in the center console good enough. I hope they never have to find out it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    Quick and dirty math, using wikipedia's July 1, 2011 population estimates:

1. Florida: 887,000 permits / 19,057,542 population = 4.65%

2. Pennsylvania: 786,000 permits / 12,742,886 population = 6.17%

3. Georgia: 600,000 permits / 9,815,210 population = 6.11%

4. Texas: 519,000 permits / 25,674,681 population = 2.02%

5. Indiana: 406,000 permits / 6,516,922 population = 6.23%

6. Washington: 351,000 permits / 6,830,038 population = 5.14%

7. Utah: 347,000 permits / 2,817,222 population = 12.32%

8. Tennessee: 341,000 permits / 6,403,353 population = 5.33%

9. Michigan: 296,000 permits / 9,876,187 population = 3.00%

10. Virginia: 279,000 permits / 8,096,604 population = 3.45%

Had to run Utah's three times to make sure it was correct - surprisingly high percentage relative to the rest of the top 10.

And of course, these percentages aren't necessarily accurate because, as mentioned above, the permit numbers don't reflect how many permits are actually held by citizens residing in-state.
    Georgia's Adult population is more like 6,906,000. So about 8.7%
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Of all the people I know with Texas CHL's most considor throwing their pistol in the center console good enough. I hope they never have to find out it's not.
    I don't follow you. What does this mean and how is it related to this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

AZ is at 172,000 per the DPS web site, but here you don't need a CCW in general, it just gets you more privileges.

Tough to find exact numbers for my old state of CT, but a reasonable estimate is 180,000, which is about 7% of the population 21 and older. A surprisingly high number for a small New England state, but they changed the laws a while back in such a way that encouraged you to get a permit before you got your handgun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This is very interesting and I'm sort of surprised (But not really) that my own state of Washington, is so high up on the list, given that it tends to be sort of liberal. As a native, I know that there are vastly more gun owners here than the goobers in Olympia and Seattle would like to admit.

Another piece of math that would be interesting to know is what the percent of the total population of each state is currently holder a CCW license. I suspected that those numbers would be even more telling, and I'm glad that the post was updated to include them!

And, as noted in Tmoore's edit, it would also make a difference to know the percentage of ADULTS, since the population figures are for all citizens.

Nice!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

They said there would be no math. :)

sent from ...

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I wonder where KY falls on that list?
    The first CDW License in Kentucky started with 1.

I got my Kentucky CDW License this year and my License number started with 645,000 - so - there are at least 645,000 CDW Licenses in Kentucky.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    The first CDW License in Kentucky started with 1.

I got my Kentucky CDW License this year and my License number started with 645,000 - so - there are at least 645,000 CDW Licenses in Kentucky.
    Active right now? How many years have you had licensing and how many years is the license active for?
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Although the article the OP posted is new, Florida is over a million now

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Active right now? How many years have you had licensing and how many years is the license active for?
    I stated in my post that I got my license this year. It was in May. Before that I OCed. The KY License is good for 5 years. When you have 120 days left on your License the KSP send you a letter and an application form to renew it. You fill out the form - include a check for $40.00 - and they will send you a new license good for another 5 years. You have to do this every 5 years.

It was taking me forever to get my license after I applied for it so I called the Kentucky State Police Office. They said that so many people where applying for KY Licenses that they were way behind on their background checks and getting the licenses issued. Ky runs a background check on you through the KSP database, the FBI database and the ATF database.

The guy I was talking to said he would check to see if all of my background checks were done. He said they were, and that I passed all of them, and he would put me in the computer to issue my license and I should have it in 5 days. Sure enough I got it 5 days later. My License number started with 645,000.

You wouldn't believe how many people in Ky are getting licenses. By state law - only 40 people can be in the 8 hour class that you have to take before you can apply for a license. I live in a town of 25,000 people and it's hard to even get into a class. They offer 8 classes a month here and all of them are always full.

The class I was in had 40 people in it and 31 of them were women. You wouldn't believe how many women are getting a CC License in Ky.

Their are 3 LGSs here and they are so busy that you have to stand in line when you go to them to buy a gun and etc.

I went to Walmart today CCing and I saw a woman there CCing. When she went to put her baby in the baby seat in a shopping cart her shirt pulled up and she was right hip, OWB CCing. After she got the baby into the cart she noticed her shirt had pulled up and pulled it back down to cover her semi-auto hand gun.

When I got go the tobacco store here to buy cigarette the girls behind the counter there are OCing, OWB with pistols.

Almost all of the states will accept a KY CC License. Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 21st, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

FYI -- state CHL permit % in GAO report

Complete GAO report (90 pages) found here... http://www.gao.gov/assets/600/592552.pdf
    Calcs already done, in the report. See p75 for listing of states with: #Permits, Population (2010 census), %Active Permits for adult population (20yrs+).

* NOTE: For the data heads in the crowd ... As with most any data set, it would need to be filtered in order to be truly correct. While the 20 year old age cutoff doesn't match every state's cutoff for CHL's, it's a very close approximation of the adult population figures that would generally qualify for a CHL. Of course, such numbers would, technically, need to be adjusted for #felons, #felons who had been given their firearms rights again, #people adjudicated mentally unfit (committed, etc), and #people in a given state's population who don't otherwise meet the criteria that state sets for issuance (ie, must be citizen, must be resident of state for 6mos, whatever). But, for our purposes here, the numbers listed in the GAO report are a fair estimate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I worded my question wrong to you. I meant to ask how many years your state (Kentucky) has had licensing? If you license is good for 4 years, but your state has had permitted carry for much longer than that................then it probably means you don't have 600K active licensed carriers. That is what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion.

ETA: I looked at the linked government report, and Kentucky only has around 170,000 active carry license issued.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

From the full GAO report, here are the states with the highest percentage of licenses within the adult population:

GA 11.5%
    IA 10.9%
    SD 10.6%
    IN 8.7%
    UT 8.3 (19.3%, if Res+NonRes)
    PA 8.3%
    TN 7.3%
    ID 7.0%
    WY 5.6%
    KY 5.3%
    OR 5.1%
    WV 4.7%
    OK 4.5%
    SC 4.4%
    MI 4.1%
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links