States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits - Page 3

States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits

This is a discussion on States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry, I don't know how how many years they have been issuing them. KY has always been an OC state though....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: States with most Active Concealed Weapons Permits

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Sorry, I don't know how how many years they have been issuing them. KY has always been an OC state though.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I stated in my post that I got my license this year. It was in May. Before that I OCed. The KY License is good for 4 years. When you have 120 days left on your License the KSP send you a letter and an application form to renew it. You fill out the form - include a check for $40.00 - and they will send you a new license good for another 4 years. You have to do this every 5 years.

It was taking me forever to get my license after I applied for it so I called the Kentucky State Police Office. They said that so many people where applying for KY Licenses that they were way behind on their background checks and getting the licenses issued. Ky runs a background check on you through the KSP database, the FBI database and the ATF database.

The guy I was talking to said he would check to see if all of my background checks were done. He said they were, and that I passed all of them, and he would put me in the computer to issue my license and I should have it in 5 days. Sure enough I got it 5 days later. My License number started with 645,000.

You wouldn't believe how many people in Ky are getting licenses. By state law - only 40 people can be in the 8 hour class that you have to take before you can apply for a license. I live in a town of 25,000 people and it's hard to even get into a class. They offer 8 classes a month here and all of them are always full.

The class I was in had 40 people in it and 31 of them were women. You wouldn't believe how many women are getting a CC License in Ky.

Their are 3 LGSs here and they are so busy that you have to stand in line when you go to them to buy a gun and etc.

I went to Walmart today CCing and I saw a woman there CCing. When she went to put her baby in the baby seat in a shopping cart her shirt pulled up and she was right hip, OWB CCing. After she got the baby into the cart she noticed her shirt had pulled up and pulled it back down to cover her semi-auto hand gun.

When I got go the tobacco store here to buy cigarette the girls behind the counter there are OCing, OWB with pistols.

Almost all of the states will accept a KY CC License. Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons
    I dont think you can go by that number.

You say you got yours in may and your number starts with 645k

I got mine under a month ago, my number starts with 606k....

And ky permit is good for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    I worded my question wrong to you. I meant to ask how many years your state (Kentucky) has had licensing? If you license is good for 4 years, but your state has had permitted carry for much longer than that................then it probably means you don't have 600K active licensed carriers. That is what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion.

ETA: I looked at the linked government report, and Kentucky only has around 170,000 active carry license issued.
    I found this: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/c...ual_Report.pdf

According to this, There have not been 645,000 licenses issued - but - my license did start with 645,000. I assumed that was how many had been issued.

Quote Originally Posted by 86slovo View Post
    I dont think you can go by that number.

You say you got yours in may and your number starts with 645k

I got mine under a month ago, my number starts with 606k....

And ky permit is good for 5 years.
    I changed it to 5 years in my post - hit the wrong key. I don't know how they number them then. Your number should have been higher that mine it looks like.

Maybe the first three numbers show what county, or town, you live in? I live in Murray.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I find the numbers for PA to be very surprising. I thought it was a left-leaning state.

WA is surprising as well. Good for them!

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Would also like to know the timeframe to actually receive a CCP. I moved from Chicago to Michigan, and it went from literally night to day. Illinois is a pain and a lengthy process, and of course Chicago is beyond draconian on their restrictions for getting a CCP.
    Is this an IL that I never heard of? IL doesn't have a carry permit....at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Although the article the OP posted is new, Florida is over a million now
    955,648 as of 7/31/12 per Florida Department of Agriculture website:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/sta...es_By_Type.pdf
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

One of the 2 places in my town that offers CHL classes, stays booked. They put 120-140 people through a month, so at that rate I'll say Texas will catch up to first, where we belong. ;)
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

GAO seems to have a problem with their math in some cases.

Taking the GA numbers, 600,000/6,906,000 does not equal 11.5%, it's 8.7%

Keep in mind that about 11+% of FL permits are non-resident, as are about 50% of UT.

Now just how did Iowa edge out SD as the highest percentage of age eligbles with permits? Did they really issue that many in the last year (94K to 243K)??
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

RKM
    I'm in PA. I know a large amount of people with a License to Carry Firearms. I'm the only one who carries each and every day. Really, I'm the only one I know carries at all.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    As of 2011, Kentucky issued 220,000 permits and renewed 168,000 permits. Not sure how many are active but 645,000 seems a bit high!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I wonder why the numbers are so low. You'd think more people would drink that flavor of KoolAid.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I started talking about these percentages with people after the CO shooting. Several people asked why noone in the theater was armed? Well, if you look at the % population ellegible, how many have permits, how many of those carry regularly, and then consider the demographic of whatever location you are in (Big city-more liberal, country, target audience of location) ... The chances of any other people carrying can be quite small.

Lets keep educating people and chance the numbers more in the publics favor, and against the bad guys.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
    One of the 2 places in my town that offers CHL classes, stays booked. They put 120-140 people through a month, so at that rate I'll say Texas will catch up to first, where we belong. ;)

There was a month long wait in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I started talking about these percentages with people after the CO shooting. Several people asked why noone in the theater was armed? Well, if you look at the % population ellegible, how many have permits, how many of those carry regularly, and then consider the demographic of whatever location you are in (Big city-more liberal, country, target audience of location) ... The chances of any other people carrying can be quite small.

Lets keep educating people and chance the numbers more in the publics favor, and against the bad guys.
    I've made that same point on numerous forums, including this one. I did the math. Taking aside the fact the theater was posted, the best likelihood would be only two permit holders present, and high possibility neither of them would be carrying.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links