Plain-Language reading of the Second Amendment (2A) -- how should it read? - Page 3

Plain-Language reading of the Second Amendment (2A) -- how should it read?

This is a discussion on Plain-Language reading of the Second Amendment (2A) -- how should it read? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You wouldn't simply repeat it word for word. You'd rephrase in simple, plain language that anyone could understand. Huh? It is in plain language. It ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Plain-Language reading of the Second Amendment (2A) -- how should it read?

You wouldn't simply repeat it word for word. You'd rephrase in simple, plain language that anyone could understand.
    Huh? It is in plain language. It contains a dependent clause (...militia...) and an independent clause (..right of the people...). From grade school English, you will remember that the meaning of an independent clause is not modified by a dependent clause. Anybody who took grade school English should be able to understand it. Only people who choose to lie about its meaning "misunderstand" it.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Huh? It is in plain language. It contains a dependent clause (...militia...) and an independent clause (..right of the people...). From grade school English, you will remember that the meaning of an independent clause is not modified by a dependent clause. Anybody who took grade school English should be able to understand it. Only people who choose to lie about its meaning "misunderstand" it.
    Anyone who took grade school English when you or I went to school... maybe... When was the last time parsing sentences was taught? Oh, probably by Noah, shortly after he found the mountain...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefleadfoot View Post
    Our forefathers knew what they were doing since they had suffered so much -----leave it alone.
    I Agree,Leave it ALONE!.

The purpose of the OP was not to re-write the amendment, but to explain it in easily understood words for a seven year old child.

I have no problem with that.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links