Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language - Page 2

Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

This is a discussion on Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone should be asking for those school board officials resignations, because they don't have enough common sense to be in charge of our youths education. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

Distinguished Member
    Someone should be asking for those school board officials resignations, because they don't have enough common sense to be in charge of our youths education. As one of the commenters said "The stupid is strong at that school."

Hunter looks like a happy young boy, I wish him all the best.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me......

I thought my name was expressed by the middle finger given to me from my father. Then it dawned on me that I wasn't deaf and it meant something completely different.
    ExactlyMyPoint, bigmacque and OD* like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I wonder what Chuck Norris' sign name looks like.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    Couldn't he just use a different finger?

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Couldn't you just change the way you spell your name?

Making a 3 year old change how he signs his name is just WRONG!!!!
    Hmmmmmm guess my sense of humor was not properly transmitted over this new fangled electronic media. Did not think I would have to draw a picture of the finger I was talking about.

Michael
    Brad426 and atctimmy like this.

The fear of appearing less than perfectly politically correct has prompted a group of popcorn fart School Board members to insist that a pre-schooler, who's already behind the curve with a hearing issue, to CHANGE HIS NAME?!? Somewhere, there MUST to be an end to this madness. I hope the end STARTS with Hunter! Where's my "Hunter Rocks" tee-shirt?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Hmmmmmm guess my sense of humor was not properly transmitted over this new fangled electronic media. Did not think I would have to draw a picture of the finger I was talking about.

Michael
    That's because you didn't use the sign in question.

,,|,

We're number one!
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

If Sixto signed his name Sailors would blush, and women would be turned on everywhere.

Zero tolerance strikes again

Hand-gun fired: Nebraska school says deaf toddler

The Grand Island (NE) school board wants a 3 yr old to change his Sign Language name due to it's ZTP - it apparently looks too much like the dreaded finger-gun we heard about last year. It is actually his middle and index fingers crossed.

Someone on fb was saying that he could get into trouble for saying "help" as well.

Tell me again why teachers deserve more pay.

Idiots.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Want to see a really funny sign? Sign "good morning" to a bunch of Italians that don't have a clue about ASL.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Rarely do I get so ticked off as to write a letter to a politician/administrator. This is one of those times. These guys are a bunch off dull tools.

I'm working on a way to sign the superintendent's name...just about got it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    It wasn't the QB, it was the WR.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

More proof that our education system is completely in the hands of liberals, who will tolerate only that which suits their agenda and will not tolerate anything that contravenes it. Rhode Island high school removes married couple from student's mural - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

The Grand Island Weapons Policy states:

GRAND ISLAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS
    8470–WEAPONS IN SCHOOL
    Students are forbidden to knowingly and voluntarily possess, handle, transmit or use any instrument in school, on school grounds or at school functions that is a firearm, weapon, or looks like a weapon as defined by the State of Nebraska Criminal Statutes, the federal laws found in Section 18 USCS Section 921 and in the administrative procedures for this policy 8470.

This policy shall cover any object or item which could be used to injure another person or whose clear intent is to resemble an item which could cause injury and which has no school-related reason for being in a school or on school grounds. Such items will be considered “weapons” for the purposed of this policy. Students who are in possession of the aforementioned articles will be subject to mandatory suspension or expulsion procedures.

Legal Reference: Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) as amended (4-31-94)
    to include the Gun-Free Schools Act
    Nebraska Student Discipline Act – Revised, 199
    Nebraska Criminal and Juvenile Codes as amended by LB988 (1994)
    Policy Adopted: 4-10-95
    Policy Revised: 8.9.2012

See http://www.gips.org/assets/files/Pol...N%20SCHOOL.pdf

No where in this policy does state a hand gesture is a violation of the policy. Hands and finger gestures don't resemble a weapon pursuant to State of Nebraska Criminal Statutes clearly one's hands are not "any object or item which could be used to injure another person or whose clear intent is to resemble an item which could cause injury and which has no school-related reason for being in a school or on school grounds."

Under the current Grand Island Public Schools policy noted above there is no way that the signing of Hunter's name by use of the sign/gesture made can be considered a violation of the policy. I hope Hunter's parents continue to tell the school district to pound sand. If anything I'd be looking into the possibility of a discrimination suit in addition to other possible avenues against the school district. I'm normally not one to suggest a lawsuit is necessary but the idiots that came up with this interpretation have some serious literacy challenges and judgement issues.
    ccw9mm, Hoganbeg and atctimmy like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links