Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

This is a discussion on Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My girlfriend just ran across this and showed it to me, and I almost wanted to vomit. I know someone has already posted a link ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

Deaf 3-Year Old, Name Sign "Looks Like Gun"

My girlfriend just ran across this and showed it to me, and I almost wanted to vomit.

I know someone has already posted a link in atctimmy's thread, but this deserves its own, I think.

Deaf child's sign language name looks too much like gun, parent says school told him - U.S. News

School asks deaf preschooler to change his sign language name | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

What has the world come to? There are so many things wrong with this and I don't even think I need to list them.
    I know someone who named their child "Gunner", is he gonna be asked not to write his name? Ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/huntersnamesign
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Just when you think they can't come with anymore asinine rules........ Bingo they do it.....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Isn't this one of the stupidest things you've ever heard .....

If it's the "registered sign" , it's the registered sign and the schools are going to have to live with it. I did like some of the comments.

It's Liberalism at it's worse.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Taken directly from the Grand Island School District Policy 8470's implementation instructions:

III. Potentially Dangerous and Look Alike Weapons
    Any student who knowingly and voluntarily possesses, handles or transmits any potentially dangerous weapons not addressed in Sections I and II above, or a look alike weapon, shall be subject to a short-term exclusion of five days or less during which time a review panel will be convened to review the incident and determine possible continuance of exclusion. The review panel will consist of 1) the administrator of the school of attendance; 2) an administrator from another district facility; and 3) a district-wide administrator. The panel shall review the facts of the case including the article in question, circumstances of discovery, use of the article, and intent. Upon completion of the review the panel may choose to continue the exclusion for a period of up to the remainder of the semester, unless ten or less days remain in the semester, in which case the exclusion will include the following semester.
    Law enforcement authorities may be contacted upon confiscation of potentially dangerous
    articles.
    Items in this category may include but not be limited to:
    1) Knives with blades of less than three and one half inches;
    2) Chains;
    3) Fireworks;
    4) Chemicals;
    5) Unauthorized tools;
    6) Any articles that can be realistically mistaken for weapons;
    7) Other items not covered in Section I or II above.

IV. Confiscation
    Administrators or other delegated school officials shall confiscate any article previously described in Sections I, II, or III. Articles identified in Section I and II will be submitted to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Articles identified in Section III may be turned over to law enforcement officials as appropriate.

Source: http://www.gips.org/assets/files/Pol...f%208470.p.pdf

Clearly they are going by the phrase look alike weapon. Ironically, not one of the items listed above as being in the category mentions anything covering Hunter's situation. Furthermore, if they are truly going to follow their idiotic policy I suggest they follow IV above and confiscate Hunter's hands while they're at it.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I've said it before but it's a sad state of affairs that allows people like these to run and operate our educational system. No wonder we are behind other countries: we have idiots in charge of education.
    They're not just in education. They are in all levels of government

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    They're not just in education. They are in all levels of government
    No different than there being idiots at all levels of business, all levels of forum participation, etc. I could go on ad nauseum.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Parents need to contact the ACLU (as much as I despise the org.) and flie a lawsuit under the American Disabilities Act.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The search feature on this forum is pretty useless, all it returned was atctimmy's thread. Thanks to whoever merged us.

Make sure (if you use Facebook) to go over to their page and show some support.

Apparently they did contact the ACLU; they posted their letter response, but it was way too small to read.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    No different than there being idiots at all levels of business, all levels of forum participation, etc. I could go on ad nauseum.
    No arguement with you there, but it is a lot easier to avoid a business run by idiots than it is your government.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The sign is shown in this video clip.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headline...167394325.html

In addition to violating the ADA, I think it also violates his 1st Amendment rights. These people need to be slapped down-hard, as an example of how not to run a school system!

The problem, in addition to potential IDEA, ADA, and 1A rights violations is that the school district is violating their own policies. By their own definitions the sign does not violate the policies.

The parents should teach him a new way to sign his name...one that involves raising the middle finger only.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well now its time to ban fingers in all schools......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Signing his name (in ASL) looks like a "Gun," eh?

Someone should show the li'l guy how that sign looks when placed on the forehead (ie, "Loser"), which applies far more appropriately to certain parties in the situation.

nedrgr21 and BugDude like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ya'll would be surprised how many times we have been forced to change our sign language because it offends some people. "Chinese" is making a "C" at the corner of the eye, "Japanese" is same, but with "J", "Vietnamese" is same, but with "V". Oh, no... that offends them because of their differences in eye lid shape. So, we had to change it. "Africa" used to be "A" at the tip of the nose, but again that offends them because their nose is shaped different.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links