Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

This is a discussion on Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Crowman Well now its time to ban fingers in all schools...... But how will some of them keep their noses clean?...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Well now its time to ban fingers in all schools......
    But how will some of them keep their noses clean?
    bigmacque likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Ya'll would be surprised how many times we have been forced to change our sign language because it offends some people. "Chinese" is making a "C" at the corner of the eye, "Japanese" is same, but with "J", "Vietnamese" is same, but with "V". Oh, no... that offends them because of their differences in eye lid shape. So, we had to change it. "Africa" used to be "A" at the tip of the nose, but again that offends them because their nose is shaped different.
    And if you refuse to change the sign. . . ?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ya'll would be surprised how many times we have been forced to change our sign language because it offends some people. "Chinese" is making a "C" at the corner of the eye, "Japanese" is same, but with "J", "Vietnamese" is same, but with "V". Oh, no... that offends them because of their differences in eye lid shape. So, we had to change it. "Africa" used to be "A" at the tip of the nose, but again that offends them because their nose is shaped different.
    Understood BUT in this instance it is the kid's name so changing it would have to be because he finds his own name offensive. I'm not saying the above is right either but they are different. Furthermore, the sign does not look like a gun in the least.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And if you refuse to change the sign. . . ?
    Many do not change it, thus leading to some interesting counters within the deaf culture and some interesting confusion for hearing people trying to communicate wtih the deaf culture.

My son let me sign "bit*h" for 'breakfast' for years before he told me I was doing it wrong. He thought that was pretty funny, let dear old dad make a butt ouf of himself.
    OD* and FLArmadillo like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    My son let me sign "bit*h" for 'breakfast' for years before he told me I was doing it wrong. He thought that was pretty funny, let dear old dad make a butt ouf of himself.
    I like your son's sense of humor.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Signing his name (in ASL) looks like a "Gun," eh?...
    Actually it's SEE. Another way for the deaf to communicate.

Wiki link for those who are interested:

Signing Exact English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Understood BUT in this instance it is the kid's name so changing it would have to be because he finds his own name offensive. I'm not saying the above is right either but they are different. Furthermore, the sign does not look like a gun in the least.
    With due respect Ninja, I'll disagree with you here. The reason they are not different is because of the underlying basis for communication in sign language. It's conceptual as well as contextual, but the need to communicate accurately is no less important to the deaf person than it is between two hearing people. We hearing folks can change from 'black' to 'African-American' and get the point across, not so with a conversation with the deaf.

One of my favorite examples is the word 'light.' There's no change in spelling, no change in pronunciation, but the difference between "the box is light", "please go light on the cream", and "turn the light on" is huge. ASL contains about 40,000 to 50,000 universal words compared to the english language which is somehwere between 400,000 and 500,000. Communication for a deaf person is so different it's virtually incomprehensible to someone that has always been hearing.

A simple change to A at the nose for African, which contains no racial implications that are any different than signing an R at the hairline for a redhead, is a huge change.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Maybe Gunner should change his name to "I WIN, ya' BUNCHA' BOZOS!" 'cause when this goes to court, he's going to!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Maybe Gunner should change his name to "I WIN, ya' BUNCHA' BOZOS!" 'cause when this goes to court, he's going to!
    That made me laugh. New name sign: "winning" a la Charlie Sheen.
    OD* likes this.

So, "political correctness run amok" affects you twice then, doesn't it?

I noticed that according to the article, he uses something called "S.E.E. stands for Signing Exact English, Hunter's sign language", I didn't know there was anything taught here besides ASL. Is there a significant difference between the two?

I did notice that now there's a link to a follow-up article at the bottom of that one. They changed the policy so the kid doesn't have to change. I'm not giving them much credit, because I'm sure it was just to make the phones stop ringing rather than the kid's well-being.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    With due respect Ninja, I'll disagree with you here. The reason they are not different is because of the underlying basis for communication in sign language. It's conceptual as well as contextual, but the need to communicate accurately is no less important to the deaf person than it is between two hearing people. We hearing folks can change from 'black' to 'African-American' and get the point across, not so with a conversation with the deaf.

One of my favorite examples is the word 'light.' There's no change in spelling, no change in pronunciation, but the difference between "the box is light", "please go light on the cream", and "turn the light on" is huge. ASL contains about 40,000 to 50,000 universal words compared to the english language which is somehwere between 400,000 and 500,000. Communication for a deaf person is so different it's virtually incomprehensible to someone that has always been hearing.

A simple change to A at the nose for African, which contains no racial implications that are any different than signing an R at the hairline for a redhead, is a huge change.
    Works for me. Even better, they are no different. The fact remains the same that telling this kid he has to change the sign for his name, use a different means of communicating his name (spelling it out, for example), or anything else is just plain stupid.

It's Not Mall Ninja btw.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While naming a kid "Adolph Hitler" is going too far, I don't see whare Gov't should be able to change that. As to a name being similar to something else in a different language (Sign), that is just too bad for the school. At least he doesn't have the name of this guy's friend

barstoolguru likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Works for me. Even better, they are no different. The fact remains the same that telling this kid he has to change the sign for his name, use a different means of communicating his name (spelling it out, for example), or anything else is just plain stupid.

It's Not Mall Ninja btw.
    Sorry about the abbreviation, sometimes I just get too lazy to type it all out.
    And you are correct .... any way you slice this it comes out stupid.

It's Not Mall Ninja btw.
    We figured if you weren't a Mall Ninja, you must be a regular ninja.

Are you in this picture?

bigmacque likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

The article noted he signs in SEE, but SEE doesn't have a word for hunter. The ASL sign for hunter is used universally:

hunter.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links