Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

This is a discussion on Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Deaf student needs to change his name/ looks like a gun in sign language

Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School

He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy," explained Hunter's father, Brian Spanjer.
    Grand Island's "Weapons in Schools" Board Policy 8470 forbids "any instrument...that looks like a weapon," But a three year-old's hands?
    someone need to get over it; I would tell them to "go pound salt".

Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School

just an FYI; I had to look it up: The phrase "go pound salt" orginated in the early days of commercial salt mine operations in the US. There were a number of specific jobs performed by people who worked in the mine. The lowest paying and most menial job was pounding large rocks into smaller crystals that could be used for cooking and curing of meats. This job was usually given to those deemed less intelligent (the village idiot, if you will) or those who could find no other gainful employment.
    beararms and RichB70 like this.

Couldn't he just use a different finger?

Michael

OD*
    I hope this costs Grand Island's school board dearly.
    atctimmy, Lish, phreddy and 7 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    My last name being Brewer, the signs for making it would likely be "make beer". I am pretty sure the school people would like those signs even less than the one this young man is using.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I hope this costs Grand Island's school board dearly.
    +100! I hope they get slammed!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've said it before but it's a sad state of affairs that allows people like these to run and operate our educational system. No wonder we are behind other countries: we have idiots in charge of education.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

There seems to be no other way around it. We need to bring back the practice of tarring, feathering and running out of town on a rail.

This is ridiculous!!! What a bunch of uptight pansies. This is insane, how is the child wrong? I would give them the only "sign" I know.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    This really is a load of crap, especially considering he's already modified the sign for himself.

The video you find at this link shows the ASL sign for hunt, and there is no SEE sign for the concept of hunting, as the story implies. If he were using the ASL sign as it's known, I could see some concern but certainly not given that he's a three year old.

Also, all sign language is a context/concept language, meaning he'd have to be talking about shooting someone for the gesture of his name to be considered any kind of threatening gesture.
    beararms and Sky Pilot like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

If I said what I really thought of these people, they would ban me, and throw me to the wolves.....
    Spidey2011, beararms and SlowDown like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Especially as a former special education teacher, I am just flabbergasted! It never ceases to amaze me how far schools take their "no weapons" policy. His name is Hunter. He is deaf, he uses sign language. It's absolutely ridiculous and a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Especially as a former special education teacher, I am just flabbergasted! It never ceases to amaze me how far schools take their "no weapons" policy. His name is Hunter. He is deaf, he uses sign language. It's absolutely ridiculous and a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Its not the weapons policy that is a problem. Its the no tolerance policy used to enforce it. No tolerance policies are used to cover up lack of good judgment on the part of those who are supposed to enforce rules.
    You can either hire people who make good policy decisions, fire the ones that don't. Or you keep those that do no make good policy decisions and take away their ability to make them by creating rules that require no thinking ability by those in charge of enforcing them.

Michael

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Couldn't he just use a different finger?

Michael
    Couldn't you just change the way you spell your name?

Making a 3 year old change how he signs his name is just WRONG!!!!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Its not the weapons policy that is a problem. Its the no tolerance policy used to enforce it. No tolerance policies are used to cover up lack of good judgment on the part of those who are supposed to enforce rules.
    You can either hire people who make good policy decisions, fire the ones that don't. Or you keep those that do no make good policy decisions and take away their ability to make them by creating rules that require no thinking ability by those in charge of enforcing them.

Michael
    Good point. But, it's also the weapons policy. Weapon bans leave only bad guys with weapons. Teachers deserve the right to defend themselves at school just like anywhere else.
    beararms likes this.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Heck even in CA I can carry on campus!
    Arborigine likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links