running of serial number

This is a discussion on running of serial number within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NotMallNinja Do you ask every person during a traffic stop if they are armed? Just wondering... Absolutely nothing wrong with an Officer ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: running of serial number

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    Do you ask every person during a traffic stop if they are armed? Just wondering...
    Absolutely nothing wrong with an Officer asking, however the driver has no obligation to answer in a state that doesn't require disclosure. Further, failure to answer such questions does not constitute RAS.
    NotMallNinja likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    What will the Officer do when they run the number and they do not find that the firearm was purchased by the person they took it from? Something I have often wondered about when this is discussed.

Michael
    They have ABSOLUTLY no way to know that, as someone who worked in a gun shop for a while and had to participate in numerous gun traces. ATF calls the manufacturer who tells them what distributor the gun was shipped to; call the distributor to see what dealer they shipped it to; call the dealer to go through 4473s/bluebook and see who it was sold to: no way that could be done during a traffic stop.
    mlr1m likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Do you ask every person during a traffic stop if they are armed? Just wondering...
    So what if he does?

This will not become an LEO bashing thread. Keep it on track.
    Badey likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    So what if he does?

This will not become an LEO bashing thread. Keep it on track.
    Given taseal's comments the question is reasonable. Without knowing his answer we do not know how he could expect to secure a weapon for his safety. If he does he does. Do not see any bashing in the question.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    An Officer in a state without mandated firearms registration would not have access to such information.
    Actually, in PA, there is no firearm registry, but there is a "partial database." Police who run serial numbers and do not find it registered (for any reason, even if the owner legally purchased it out of state), will often seize the firearm and require proof of ownership, even though this is in no way legal..

The problem is in education, not saying the LEOs are going rogue... they think they have to seize them, but in fact they do not, and are sometime sued for doing so.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Senior Moderator
    will often seize the firearm and require proof of ownership

Well they got that one bassackwards. The burden of proof is on the state to prove that it is stolen, not on you prove that it aint.

I dont see how that get away with that crap.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I think the issue here is the unprofessional conduct and sarcasm by these officers and not the action of running serial numbers. I maybe wrong. I always cooperate with law enforcement and make all efforts to make them comfortable whenever I have contacts with them. I have no problems with them running serial numbers on my guns if it makes their job easier but I will have an issue if disrespect is shown and I will make sure that the department hears of my dissatisfaction and if that does not work than an appearance at the next City Council meeting will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    And that is why I never notify I am carrying or have a permit unless required by law. Something else to delay my travels when there is no reasonable suspicion to run the serial number
    Very much agree. Only provide the necessary information, nothing more -- nothing less. Always respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I dont think so.

The way most state statutes are written, any police officer can run any gun, no differrent than them running your plates. They have the legal authority to do so.

While many wont if the encounter is routine, they could if they wanted to. In a high crime area, it is standard procedure for a cop to run any gun that they come across.
    This. While I don't agree with it, if they secure the weapon they will typically run the serial number. Just like they run your plates to make sure your car isn't stolen.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Best answer you can get here is: "DON'T look for legal advice on the internet." Contact a lawyer in your area to check on the legality of them running the serial number and proceed from there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to your rights and freedoms being intruded upon as well. If you're being profiled, you need to make it a matter of record. Use the FOIA to you benefit. Also....know your rights in your state and....have a go-to attorney to ask questions of. IMO........we're all on the verge of total disaster right now.......I'm not quite sure what's holding things together at this time. In many places, the authorities do have the safety of the public in mind.....however, be increasingly aware that most are not out to harass you in any way.......they want to put you in jail or strip you of your rights forever. Over-criminalization is a new wave and coming to a town near you. Just like property taxes....you never really own anything in this country. Happy Labor Day!
    JayTee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatepatriot View Post
    I hope this is the right section for my question. A little background of the scenario is this. I am a small business owner in Tennessee. When the housing market tanked my business slowed. When faced with losing my home of 11 years or my then 4 year old start up business my wife and I chose to keep and grow the business and let the house go. We moved dangerously close to a drug/gang infested neighborhood to rent. My father who passed in 2010 was a 30 plus year veteran of our local city pd. I am respectful and law abiding. In the 3 years that I have lived in this area I have been profiled for traffic stops twice. The first time I gave my license and carry permit. The officer made rude comments like "well I guess you are not a felon........since you have a permit". He then drilled me on where I purchased the weapon and whether or not it was stolen. He also ran the serial number to verify this. I immediately spoke to a task force officer who told me that it was an illegal search for that number to be run. Fast forward to 9-1-2012. I am stopped again on a bogus suspicion. I complied with every request but told the officer that I did not want him to run my weapon. I asked for his supervisor to be called. They told me that they had the right to run it. I disagree and would like any help to prove/disprove this. Sorry about the long thread. Al
    I don't appreciate the cop running the number, but I don't see how it would be an unreasonable search. The number is in view, so it's not like the cop has to open or go through anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I think the issue here is the unprofessional conduct and sarcasm by these officers and not the action of running serial numbers. I maybe wrong. I always cooperate with law enforcement and make all efforts to make them comfortable whenever I have contacts with them. I have no problems with them running serial numbers on my guns if it makes their job easier but I will have an issue if disrespect is shown and I will make sure that the department hears of my dissatisfaction and if that does not work than an appearance at the next City Council meeting will be done.
    SOOOOO; can LEO come to your front door and ask to take a look around??? You know, make their job easier? Search without at a minimum RAS is an illegal search. As I said earlier I keep black tape on the SNs of any gun I carry so "plain sight" can not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    This. While I don't agree with it, if they secure the weapon they will typically run the serial number. Just like they run your plates to make sure your car isn't stolen.
    Plates are a revenue issue as much as anything, AND by their nature in "plain view" firearm SNs are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I don't appreciate the cop running the number, but I don't see how it would be an unreasonable search. The number is in view, so it's not like the cop has to open or go through anything.
    No, he just has to seize your property, that's all. And as I have said I keep black tape over all the SNs of guns I carry so plain view does not apply.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links